Author Topic: Compression Shirts  (Read 3858 times)

Offline kbill2

• Posting Member
Been lurking but not posting much for a while, but just had an idea and I wanted to see if anyone else has tried this and what their thoughts are regarding athletic compression shirts (2XU, Skins, etc.).  This is probably only applicable to the more moderately developed (B, C, and possibly D???) brothers.  I am hoping that while these shirts may compress my breasts, they would be more comfortable than a sports bra.  I live in a warm climate, so these might work well under another shirt without a bra.  Any thoughts, ideas, successes, or failures using this kind of a compression garment?
Bill

P.S.  Zoidberg - if you're still out there, I see it has been about a year since you asked your questions about compression shirts.  Have you found any that work for you?  I have a bit of a belly, too, so I am not eager to get something that is highly compressive, both top and bottom.  The two names I indicated above are places that sell top-drawer compression tights which help me out in a number of ways, but I don't want to spend $60 or $70 to see if a shirt may work and then possibly be stuck with it as my trial wearing would likely make the shirt unacceptable for return.
B
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 02:45:17 PM by kbill2 »

Offline TheDane

• Posting Member
I tried one at first but I couldnt get around the feeling of being choked around my neck.

The 2nd issue was it enhanced the protrusion of my chest. Sure it compressed my chest but the compression was all over not focused like a compression sports bra would be or a minimizer bra.

I have tight fighting tank tops and the only thing they do for me is scream I have headlights, look down here.

Its personal choice and may be size specific.

I am only 34C now and that is the smallest I can get with everything I have done. Diet exercise etc. 20 years of working to reduce and this is it.

Compression/high support sports bras are my go to. I live AZ it is hot here I buy Target C9, Walmart Avia & Danskin, Lululemon sports tops & none of those make me sweat anymore than a guys shirt would if worn alone. Some like the lululemon and C9 are designed to wick sweat off the body and keep you cool. These are my go to for Yoga and Pilates now.  Yeah it sucks to have wear one of these it is like struggling to pull off a wet straight jacket with one arm.

aboywithgirls

I had tried gynecomastia compression shirts,  but with my girls, it just seemed to show that I was trying to hide them. A good well shaped underwire that broadens your chest will do more than most compression shirts. 

Offline HopiArizona

• Posting Member
What about baggy button up shirts with patterns ? With my big C boobies that's what I do. Works so far .

Offline kbill2

• Posting Member
Thanks for the comments.  It doesn't seem like my idea has worked that well for those that tried it.  I usually wear an underwire bra on the days I walk and am on the PowerFit, particularly if I have to make the 40 min drive to town and back (rough roads-lots of bouncing).  I wear a knit shirt one size larger than I need, but it's still pretty obvious I'm wearing a bra.  I thought the compression shirt might be less obvious.  
I do understand about feeling strangled by a tight fitting shirt - that would not work for me.  Maybe a tight tank top with a loose shirt over might be worth a try.  I can also get 2 bras for the price of one of the compression shirts, so I guess I may be better off with the current program.

aboywithgirls

What ever works best for you and your lifestyle is what you should do. Whether it's wearing a sports bra, regular bra, or even a compression shirt. You just have to do whatever makes you comfortable both physically and mentally. I also know being a guy who wears a bra everyday, what's comfortable physically isn't gonna be comfortable mentally and vice versa.

I don't have much of a choice. If I go braless, it looks like a couple of puppies running around under my shirt. Its not a good look. It's also not comfortable at all. It's pretty obvious that I'm wearing a bra but whattaya do when your have big boobs? You wear a bra! It isn't the answer for all men with gynecomastia but, it's what I've chosen.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 09:34:19 AM by aboywithgirls »

Offline Busty

I have tried compression vests and found them not that comfortable.  They squish my boobs.  Being full-busted, I do not go out braless.  I could see a compression vest maybe working if you were only an A or B cup, though.

Offline Shrigley

• Posting Member
I wore a compression shirt for the first time today for about 3 hours. An hour after taking it off my boobs and where the band would be on a bra, are blotchy and red, like a rash. I bought for doing sport but I'm hoping the sports bra I ordered arrives soon.

Offline brock123

• Silver Member
I think this depends on your size, but in the past I tried Underworks and Spanx compression tanks.  I also tried a Spanx T-Shirt style which was excruciating on the upper arms/shoulder and went back, and back in the day my wife got me a female "shaping" tank.

My main complaint with the male-focused garments is that while they try to address the chest, the focus is equal or more for the belly.  As such, you end up going down at least one waist size on your pants, but since the chest compression isn't as focused, the end result is effectively the same, the chest still sticks out as much as it did.  In my experience, they do spread the tissue/fat out and appear more like pecks, but a sports bra will do the same thing depending on how you wear it (like 'just throw it on' seems to push the tissue more under your arms, but 'swoop and scoop' makes them keep the 'boob' look).

My experiences:

Female shaping tank: works fairly uniformly for chest and belly, but will have small arm holes that might really "dig in" after a while.  Neckline very feminine, wouldn't wear under a white button-down shirt.  Still have, but wouldn't use.

Spanx compression T-shirt: impossible to wear and excruciating if you try. Sent back.

Underworks compression tank: too tight to wear for any period of time, but probably the most 'effective'.  Probably need a smaller pair of pants to use.  Looks fine under a white button-down.

Spanx compression Tank: focuses too much on the belly, doesn't do as much for the chest, but I think still 'effective'.  Not the most comfortable thing in the world, but I can last about half a day.  I still use these for playing tennis and swimming, both activities are under a T-shirt.  Looks fine under a white button-down.

If you really are only interested in the chest, or have enough chest that the male options don't do it for you, I happen to think you're right to try the sports bra route.

Offline Shrigley

• Posting Member
 The compression shirt I got was from Gynomastia Solutions so I hoped it would be more designed with chest compression for breasts in mind. I've only recently seen growth. From what I've seen here it would be impossible for most guys to wear.

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll opt for the swoop and scoop. I don't need support for work (yet) only for sports, martial arts uniforms are very loose fitting.

Offline Johndoe1

I have tried compression tops as well but I am too big for them to be comfortable to wear. Like Shrigley, after I removed it, my boobs, nipples in particular, were sore from being smashed. The tightness felt like I was being squeezed in a sausage casing. I decided traditional bras were preferred over compression tops.

Womanhood is not defined by breasts, and breasts are not indicative of womanhood. - Melissa Fabello

aboywithgirls

Compression shirts or vests are not a good option for comfort or health. Transgender often wear breast binding garments for breast concealment. They usually do this for short intervals. This is because of the long-term damage it can cause to the lymphatic system. The long-term solution that transgender men usually opt for is a bilateral mastectomy.

Surgery is something that may be an option for some here. However, if acceptance is true and you have accepted your breasts as your has developed, than a bra is the best long term managment for breasts.

Offline Shrigley

• Posting Member
Been lurking but not posting much for a while, but just had an idea and I wanted to see if anyone else has tried this and what their thoughts are regarding athletic compression shirts (2XU, Skins, etc.).  This is probably only applicable to the more moderately developed (B, C, and possibly D???) brothers.  I am hoping that while these shirts may compress my breasts, they would be more comfortable than a sports bra.  I live in a warm climate, so these might work well under another shirt without a bra.  Any thoughts, ideas, successes, or failures using this kind of a compression garment?
Bill

P.S.  Zoidberg - if you're still out there, I see it has been about a year since you asked your questions about compression shirts.  Have you found any that work for you?  I have a bit of a belly, too, so I am not eager to get something that is highly compressive, both top and bottom.  The two names I indicated above are places that sell top-drawer compression tights which help me out in a number of ways, but I don't want to spend $60 or $70 to see if a shirt may work and then possibly be stuck with it as my trial wearing would likely make the shirt unacceptable for return.
B
Kbill2, I recommend gynomastia solutions. I am c on one side b on other. I bought a vest and it keeps everything flay and in place. They alsi do bottoms ans full body compression garments with gyno in mind.

Offline kbill2

• Posting Member
I'd forgotten all about posting this originally.  I never did try one of the compression tops but did try two different light-weight pullover sports bras and a very lightweight pullover bralette. The former are ok for about 4-5 hours, then become uncomfortable.  The bralette is good for 6-7 hours. 

It seems from reading the posts that compression of the torso is a trickier business than from the waist down (I wear fairly high-compression sports tights to help manage leg pain for 10-12 hours a day).  I find that compression of the breasts is tolerable in inverse proportion to the amount of compression.  Compression of the belly gets uncomfortable quickly.  Minor variations in body shape and response to varying degrees of compression must drive the designers of these garments nuts, even after beta testing.  Trail and error still seems to be the order of the day for us.

I appreciate all the experience and insights that have been shared.

Offline SideSet

I find compression vests uncomfortable.  I prefer a bra. If I want some control for my torso, I will wear a  WYOB open bust shaper. 

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024