Author Topic: the Sports issue  (Read 5034 times)

Offline carguy

• Gold Member
  • boobfree 2003!!
I've had surgery and resolved everything physically but one thing still haunts my mind.
You guys ever think of where you might be if you played your fav sport and was actually good at it?
I'm bringing up this topic because I've been watching college basketball games and track-and-field.
It hurts to know that I might never see my full potential.
I missed all those workouts and insights on the game throughout high school.
I was very good athlete in middle school and then the monster Gyne reared its ugly head.
I tried even playing football with it, but it hurt like crazy when I got hit in the chest to the point of throbbing pain.
Of course I didn't know of surgery or anything so I kept it to myself all throughout high school.
For me, being an athlete meant respect from my peers.
When I stopped working out, I felt like a little boy among men who were getting better and better as
I became more and more out of shape.
There were kids that I KNEW I was better than, being successful and popular playing sports.
Its like being robbed of an inheritance you deserved/worked for.
In every school I attended before gyne, I was one of the fastest kids around.
It really sucks falling behind everyone and becoming "average".
Average is a word I personally detest.
I'm almost jealous of these kids who are doing well in sports and getting on TV.
I don't hate them or anything, but I feel robbed of my time to shine.
Anyone know what I mean?
Maybe I need therapy....
I do go to the gym and workout but it'll never make up for those years.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
I do go to the gym and workout but it'll never make up for those years.

I hear ya broh...

What could have been eh!

GB...
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline Stingercut

• Posting Member
I know exactly where you are coming from. I was a very talented cyclist back in my youth, who beat many of 'the greats' in training runs but due to the 'curse' I was always too self conscious to don lycra and compete properly looking the part. I have not had surgery yet but building up to it soon hopefully.

Offline postiey

• Gold Member
ye i agree with u guys! gyne has thrown me in different directions i wouldn of taken.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
I know exactly where you are coming from. I was a very talented cyclist back in my youth, who beat many of 'the greats' in training runs but due to the 'curse' I was always too self conscious to don lycra and compete properly looking the part. I have not had surgery yet but building up to it soon hopefully.

Which of the 'Greats' did you beat?

GB...

Offline carguy

• Gold Member
  • boobfree 2003!!
Im glad you guys understand.
Im happy to have a place like this to share stories with people who've gone through the same things.
This place literally saves lives... ;D

Offline Unidentified

• Posting Member
The basketball gene runs in my family. Many men in my family play, and they are all great at it. i gave up on it in the 8th grade because of the whole "shirts and skins" thing.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
The sport gene passed me by completely. Even so, There were a lot of beach parties and things that I missed out on.

Surgery was not a very good option in the 1950's so the only realistic approaches were to either hide the condition or ignore it.

We have a strong tendency to be our own worst enemies. This is just as true now as it was when I was younger. The truth is that I'm now thinking that it was not the gynecomastia that kept me out of so many activities. It was actually my attitude about the gynecomastia that did the dirty work.

I actually held out the hope that the internet would provide free flow of information about such things as gynecomastia and the stigma would simply go away. Instead, it almost seems that things have gotten worse.
Grandpa Dan

Offline Dave_8

• Gold Member
I think about this issue every single day since I quit football and basketball. Ive always wanted to do track but like everyone on here says...gyne ruined everything. It's funny how two lumps on your chest can have an impact on which way your life turns and how you live it.
If you have gyne, dont expect not be laughed at.

Just like if you walk into a locker room, you're gonna see some hairy asses and dicks.

Unfortunately for me, both have occured in my life way too many times.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
I regretted the fact that I had done very little exploring of the wilderness areas of California. When in my 50's I decided to stop living in regret and do something. Not a month went by without at least a weekend excursion. Each summer provided a hiking trip of at least 8 days, some years I managed two or more such trips.

Instead of regretting the lost opportunities of the past, do something now that will replace those regrets with happy memories.

Offline carguy

• Gold Member
  • boobfree 2003!!
I regretted the fact that I had done very little exploring of the wilderness areas of California. When in my 50's I decided to stop living in regret and do something. Not a month went by without at least a weekend excursion. Each summer provided a hiking trip of at least 8 days, some years I managed two or more such trips.

Instead of regretting the lost opportunities of the past, do something now that will replace those regrets with happy memories.

Great words. I'm kinda of making up for my bad grades and hermit living from high school by excelling in college. I have a lot of opportunity ahead of me in my field (information technology of course lol). I want to start traveling the world once I get situated with my career.

The thing that really hurt me about high school was that people had a narrow view of me. I didn't get to show my talents or just be myself. I'm sure people thought I was a bum or loser. But they say success is the greatest revenge. Take it from me, high school isn't the deciding factor in where you end up in life. I went from a 2.0 gpa in high school to a 3.6 gpa(currently) in college. You can only play sports for so long; you have to have something to fall back on anyway.

I feel like if I had a better relationship with my father, I would have told him earlier. I mean he didn't even know or care how good I was at sports. Things like that really make me want to become a better father for my kid if I'm lucky enough to have one someday.
Ya its all about moving forward. At least we know things to look out for when we have kids of our own.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Congratulations on the improved grades.

As for the relationship with your Dad, whatever it was or wasn't is now a part of the past. When I was a kid, my Dad beat me. I wrestled with that for years until I finally wrote him a long letter in which I forgave him. Since I had forgiven him, that issue could haunt me no longer.

By the way, I never did actually send him that letter, it needed to be written but sending it was not important.

Low self esteem and other emotional problems are common among us here. Putting most of those issues behind us actually takes nothing more than a decision that we do not want to pack that baggage around any more.

Dealing with the Gynecomastia is simpler and more direct, either live with it or see a surgeon.

Offline Stingercut

• Posting Member

Which of the 'Greats' did you beat?

GB...
LMAO...it wasnt Greg LeMond dont worry  ;)... Just some Pro Mountainbikers of the late 80's early 90's. When you look at guys cut perfectly from the mould like that, it was tough not to be self conscious about the gyne. There were'nt good 'experianced' Surgeons around, no internet and I didnt have the means to pay anyways.

Offline Spleen

The truth is that I'm now thinking that it was not the gynecomastia that kept me out of so many activities. It was actually my attitude about the gynecomastia that did the dirty work.

Exactly right, Paa.  There are lots of people that excel in sport with much bigger problems than moobs.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024