Author Topic: Extremely Painful Gynecomastia?  (Read 10353 times)

Offline Ithurts

I'm 13, and I've had gyno for almost a year (I'm about to turn 14). It started out with the right nipple getting swollen, and I had no idea what it was but I found out through google searched. My gyno has always been painful, but lately it's been really bad just brushing against while I was walking or something is enough to make me wince. Also now it seems that my left nipple is MUCH worse than my right nipple I can feel the gland under them, and they're bigger than the ones in the picture on Dr.Bremnant's site (even than the biggest one I could see in the picture. My right nipple doesn't hurt nearly as much as my left, and I'm very shy to take my shirt off. I was always reluctant to go swimming, because I have a weird build. My rib cage sticks out far more than my stomach making me look extra skinny in shirts, but my gyno makes it weird to wear Tshirts as it looks like I have a humongous chest (like a body builder almost... which I'm not).
I'll try to get pictures to post.

Edit- Sometimes my Gyno doesn't hurt at all, and the gland is small, but sometimes it's extra painful like yesterday.

Offline Dr. Cruise

• Supporting Doctors
  • Gold Member
  • Dr. Cruise
    • http://lagynecomastia.org/
Hi Ithurts,

Typically, gynecomastia that is present for more than two years is considered stable.  After this point, surgery may be worth looking into.  At this point and especially considering your age, you may want to consult your primary care physician and begin monitoring it.  Have you mentioned it to your parents? 
Dr. Cruise
Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
2081 San Joaquin Hills Road
Newport Beach, CA 92660
949-644-4808
Before and After Pictures
Types of Gynecomastia

DrBermant

I'm 13, and I've had gyno for almost a year (I'm about to turn 14). It started out with the right nipple getting swollen, and I had no idea what it was but I found out through google searched. My gyno has always been painful, but lately it's been really bad just brushing against while I was walking or something is enough to make me wince. Also now it seems that my left nipple is MUCH worse than my right nipple I can feel the gland under them, and they're bigger than the ones in the picture on Dr.Bremnant's site (even than the biggest one I could see in the picture. My right nipple doesn't hurt nearly as much as my left, and I'm very shy to take my shirt off. I was always reluctant to go swimming, because I have a weird build. My rib cage sticks out far more than my stomach making me look extra skinny in shirts, but my gyno makes it weird to wear Tshirts as it looks like I have a humongous chest (like a body builder almost... which I'm not).
I'll try to get pictures to post.

Edit- Sometimes my Gyno doesn't hurt at all, and the gland is small, but sometimes it's extra painful like yesterday.

Intermittent pain and discomfort are common Symptoms of Gynecomastia gland being stimulated. The gland tissues are swelling under the effect of hormones raging in a pubescent body. The size of gland tissues varies as you can see in this Photo Gallery of Gynecomastia Glands Removed. Although there are some very large glands in this collection, they are not the largest I have seen nor removed. Very large glands, once the swollen phase is over, usually have a deforming component that will not go away on its own. If they are that large, the question is: Is the problem only one of puberty or are there other factors going on?  That is why an evaluation by a knowledgeable person about gynecomastia can be critical for some individuals.  It should not be the plastic surgeon picking up hypogonadism, Klinefelter's Syndrome, or any of the other significant Causes of Gynecomastia beyond puberty where early intervention can be critical. Unfortunately, I have had to get many patients over the years off to an experienced Endocrinologist after missed diagnosis by a child's lifetime of visits to pediatrician(s) or family doctors who missed the boat.

What Age to Consider Surgery? is a common question on this forum. Fortunately for most Teenagers with Gynecomastia, once the hormonal stimulation stops, the deformity resolves on its own. What has not gone away by 2 years typically does not. I have operated on many teens with gynecomastia. However, if the problem has been there only a year, surgery is better put off until the situation better stabilizes.

Body Shaping Garments can be a valuable temporary contouring option that has the added advantage of stabilizing bouncing uncomfortable tissues during activities.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
From your description, it sounds as if you are in a rapid growth stage.  It is at this time, perhaps, that an endocrinologist could evaluate you and consider possible therapy with medication.

And since you are in a growth stage with barely a year's history of gyne, it would not be a good idea to have surgery at this time.  Better to let things stabilize -- and perhaps even diminish or disappear.

Good luck!

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline bill1177

• Posting Member
you're at my age exactly (ILL BE 14 NEXT MONTH =)) i found out about gyno from web browsing and discovered that i may have g=justs started developing it.

if you need to talk to me about things going on plz tell me thanks=) 8)
less than 30 days till im 14

Offline Ithurts

I'm fine, but it's just weird since 2 years ago I swam every day in a public pool....
This year i swam once this whole summer, and it was in a private pool. Now this didn't have a 100% effect, I know believe public pools are disgusting :P, but it definately played a role in my decision.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024