Author Topic: Bra size calculator doesn't work for me  (Read 1224 times)

Brdy64

:( I measure 50" base and 60" bust. That comes up a a J cup in the bra calculator. 
I find that they J cups are huge compared to my breasts, and by trial and error have found the C cup too small and a D cup slightly large. I am currently in between sizes I guess. 
I'm assuming that the discrepancy as because I'm male and have of course male bone structure. My wider rib cage is throwing the calculator off in some way. 
Does anybody else have them same problem? At seems that I just need to grab a handful of bras and try them out until I find what fits. 🤔

Normal boobs1

Calculators are a nightmare. Yes, you are right there are differences between male and female anatomy. There are some calculators out there  that claim to work for males, all I can say is that they don't for me.
But this is only the start  a 36C  say, will vary a lot from brand to brand. Also some brands' size  by measuring under bust, over bust or under bust and then adding 4inches.
Bottom line, as advised many times on this forum is "get a proper fitting"..... or be prepared to waste a lot money on trial an error and probably also be  less comfortable than you could be. This is, I suggest, even more important in your case as your size of boobs are nowhere near average even for a female! Also beware of advice of female friends - research shows 80% of women are wearing the wrong bra size. 

Offline Gotboobs

• Silver Member
I have bras that are the from the same manufacturers,style and size that are different colors that fit different. Crazy how clothing manufacturers can’t have uniform sizing within their own operation. I just go try them on anymore. Sales clerks don’t care and others are to busy to care also. I did have one sales lady ask me how this happened to me. I just shrugged my shoulders and said luck of the draw I guess.

Offline Rich meier

• Gold Member
:( I measure 50" base and 60" bust. That comes up a a J cup in the bra calculator.
I find that they J cups are huge compared to my breasts, and by trial and error have found the C cup too small and a D cup slightly large. I am currently in between sizes I guess.
I'm assuming that the discrepancy as because I'm male and have of course male bone structure. My wider rib cage is throwing the calculator off in some way.
Does anybody else have them same problem? At seems that I just need to grab a handful of bras and try them out until I find what fits. 🤔
I have the same problem with number bras. I changed band size and cup size
 by the charts I should be a D cup went down to an A in a 44 and still dont quite fill it out
 I have definitly noticibl ebreasts and used to wear a 40c nicly now I just stick to sports bras.
 not quite the same support but I does work good enough till I deciede to get a fitting

Offline 42CSurprise!

I doubt our friend who lives in Texas and wears bib overalls is going to have an easy time finding a store that will offer a fitting.  I may have an easier time where I live but then I'm much too shy to walk into either a boutique or department store and ask for a fitting.  I know there are brassieres that cost a great deal of money, but I'm not inclined to go there.  I've explored online and haven't broken the bank to try a few different brassieres.  With a bit of trial and error I eventually found a style that works for me.  I agree that sizing is a crap shoot... different styles from the same manufacturer aren't consistent in sizing.  So I buy multiple copies of the same brassiere in different colors.  I've been fortunate to take advantage of sales and seldom spend more than $20 for a brassiere I'm very happy to wear.  I will never rely on a calculator simply  because they are UN-reliable.

I'd recommend the brassiere I love but it doesn't go beyond a 42 inch band.  In reality, I would do best with a 44 inch band, but this bra works beautifully with an extender... an unpadded, underwire brassiere that fits my breasts perfectly.  You may need to do a bit of experimenting my friend.

Brdy64

I ordered a crap load off Amazon awhile back. I tried each of them on until I found one that kind of works. I then returned the ones that didn't fit and ordered 2 more of the ones that did. 
That will last me hopefully for awhile, but I am still growing so I don't know. 

My CNA friend says Soma does fittings and would be happy to have me come in. I might do that later after I have determined my growing spurt has stopped 🤔

I also have a crap load of weight to lose, and that will effect my breasts as well. So going in for a fitting now and buying an expensive bra might be a waste of money. 

I am exited about someday trying on more styles, colors, etc...
My bras are "plain" looking and functional. They are not much to look at. Also finding something nice in my size is murder. 

Normal boobs1

Long line  and high apex bras might help especially. They have wider bands and far more side support. 
Also just be aware that as you lose weight true breast tissue (as opposed to the fat component) will not disappear - many of us know that breasts are often more obvious after weight loss

Brdy64

Also just be aware that as you lose weight true breast tissue (as opposed to the fat component) will not disappear - many of us know that breasts are often more obvious after weight loss
My doctor already went over that with me. My mammogram shows scattered fibroglandular density and an increase in gynecomastia from the last one I had. He thinks I might see some shrinkage, but not too expect too much.

I guess as my "fat rolls" decrease my breasts will be much more apparent. 😳

But the added weight is a bigger health problem and I need to continue to work on getting it down. It's really hard to lose weight when you are stuck in a wheelchair though. 😐

Kazmage

Bra calculators never worked for me either .
I was buying online but constantly buying trying on then returning was getting tiresome .
So I bit the bullet and went to a local shop i had bought from for the Mrs. 
The SA asked me if I knew the size I replied I wasn't sure  so a quick search on thier system later she said 22DD.
I looked at her and said " yeah that's for the Mrs this time it's for me " to her credit she didn't even bat an eye .
And thus began my first fitting and now everytime I am in the store she says " if you want to try anything on your welcome to " 

Brdy64

It's funny how women are willing to talk about breasts with you the moment they know you have breasts. 
I find my nurses that come by always give me pointers, one even helps me measure myself.
The one that helps me measure even called Soma asking them if they would do a fitting on a male.  
Most women (except my wife) are very understanding and helpful. It's the male friends that don't know how to respond and end up saying something stupid. 

Offline jan1north

• Posting Member
While I have had positive fitting experiences at both Soma and Torrid, check on-line first to see if they carry sizes near your estimated size.  For example, Soma doesn’t go larger than a 44 band - but Torrid and Lane Bryant do.

Also, subscribe to their emails - there are monthly sales and other specials you may not hear about when coming in “at random” for a fitting.  A $60 bra is available at 50% off (or more) from time to time.

Finally, my best fitting experiences have been in slow times for the shop - early on a mid-week day is better than a weekend.

Brdy64

While I have had positive fitting experiences at both Soma and Torrid, check on-line first to see if they carry sizes near your estimated size.  For example, Soma doesn’t go larger than a 44 band - but Torrid and Lane Bryant do.

Also, subscribe to their emails - there are monthly sales and other specials you may not hear about when coming in “at random” for a fitting.  A $60 bra is available at 50% off (or more) from time to time.

Finally, my best fitting experiences have been in slow times for the shop - early on a mid-week day is better than a weekend.
Good to know! Especially since I have a 50" band size. 
And of course I like saving money 😉

Brdy64

While I have had positive fitting experiences at both Soma and Torrid, check on-line first to see if they carry sizes near your estimated size.  For example, Soma doesn’t go larger than a 44 band - but Torrid and Lane Bryant do.

Also, subscribe to their emails - there are monthly sales and other specials you may not hear about when coming in “at random” for a fitting.  A $60 bra is available at 50% off (or more) from time to time.

Good to know! Especially since I have a 50" band size.
And of course I like saving money 😉
Searched online and found one I really like at Torrid. The girls will be very happy in an underwire I think. I'll find out next Wednesday 😉

Offline jan1north

• Posting Member
I might add Torrid sizing is straightforward - your under bust measurement is your band size.  No “add +4 except…” or other convoluted thing.

Dudewithboobs

Calculators I find to be more for reference and guide rather than an absolute and promising guarantee. Whether it be a pro fitting or personal fitting. Calculators were great for me but I quickly found not every bra is the same and every calculator didn’t give me full accuracy. 

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024