Author Topic: Do I need surgery? Opinons please. 4 days post op photo...should I be concerned?  (Read 8503 times)

Offline American

Plenty of fat guys don't have big boobs.

This is a very good point, and bears repeating. A friend of mine is the same height as me (5'9"), but heavier than me (he weighs 270 lbs, I weigh 200 lbs). Despite the fact that he is far more obese than I am, his chest is basically normal looking. I went from 240 to 200 and not only has my chest not gotten smaller, but one side has actually gotten bigger. So, it stands to reason that I could lose another 40 lbs and still have a lot of fat in my chest.  And this isn't just an optical illusion due to my gut being smaller; I've actually measured them and can confirm that they haven't gotten any smaller despite the weight loss.

It's really aggravating to come to a site like this, hoping for support, and instead being told that "it's just fat" and "you just need to get off your ass and stop eating junk" -- as if that somehow makes my problem less legitimate than the skinny guys whose gynecomastia is entirely gland-based.  >:(  Here I was, thinking that we were all sharing basically the same problem, and that the cause or origin of the problem didn't mean that some of us were entitled to more or less support/understanding than others... clearly I was mistaken.

maineguy79, I understand what your going through, and seeing what some of these people said to you upsets me. I know what its like to have this problem, but the difference is im 17 and its a terrible age to have it. Keep working out and get on a low carb/calorie diet, that'll help alot. Also just keep working out, focus on cardio and also start doing leg/core exercises. In order to lose weight or gain muscle you need to work out all muscles in your body.  Plus, is you've lost 40 odd pounds and they haven't gone down at all, odds are your gonna need the surgery. I'm gonna get it, so don't listen to what these people have to say. do the surgery for you and only you.

Offline maineguy79

• Posting Member
I'd love to have surgery but there's no way I can afford it. I've got too many other bills to be able to afford a loan from the bank; I suppose I could just put some money away every month and save up for it, but with my current situation I can only afford to put away $20 a month, and at that rate, it would literally take me 30 years to save up enough money for the surgery. (Seriously; I've done the math!)

Being poor sucks... but that's another topic for another time and another web site.  ;)

Anyway, thanks for the words of encouragement, and apologizes to "theconz" for hijacking your topic!  :D

Offline theconz

• Posting Member
I am the guy who started this thread. Everyone is partly correct. I work out hard every day as stated. I do not eat a lot of junk food but could clean up the diet some, which I am doing. That hopefully will take care of the lower abdominal regions.

Now as for the breast tissue is was not all fat. Had my surgery yesterday. I had liver disease for many years without knowing it. I was very lucky in that I had a 1 in 5 chance of curing it or else I'd need a transplant or.....

The liver disease caused excess growth of breast tissue docs explained it to me I am sure  you can read the details onthe net. I have been 25-30 lbs less over all and still had same breast condition. Also I do have hypo-thyroidism and take 200 mcg of synthroid every day. Monitior my blood sugar also. All I am saying is that for me losing weight even if I consume less than I exend, and I do, is a slow, very slow process. I track my food intake on the Livestrong site using Daily Plate.

I still have drains in should come out Thursday and the swelling should go down some. I will post a after pic. I will also post a before and after pic of the "turkey neck" I had. That was a hereditary trait my dad had it and one of my brothers has it.

Now I have to get to work on the love handles and midsection. That will go as I start to clean up my diet and increase cardio. Getting this done is just added more incentive to get my handles gone. Yes, I had considered lipo for the handles but decided against it as I have got rid of those love handles by diet and exercise before. But the breast tissue is immune to that was the turkey neck.

I will say I have very wide hips and bone structure honestly 40 lbs for me would be ruff. I am shooting for 25-30 which would take me to 250 or 245. Which belive it or not is a good weight for me. The lowest I have been in 20 years was 225# and people asked me if I was sick, lol!

Anyway pics up soon just don't want to show the drains and black an blue. Will post them next week. Thanks all fo ryour advice and everyone had valid points.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 12:29:22 PM by theconz »

Offline theconz

• Posting Member
Here is photo 4 days post op. Now I know there is along way to go before swelling and fluid and bruising go down or away. The volume of the breasts is smaller for sure but I still have the sag of right breast and extra fold of skin under right arm, which I was told would be resolved.

Again I know that it takes 3 months for a good analysis so I am not in panic mode. I have an appointment with my do Monday am and will address with him. He is very, very good, honest, and proud of his work and I have no doubt that this will either tighten up on its own or that if by some chance it doesn't he will fix it. But I  am hoping it will be the former lol my chest is sore! But not one pain med. I hate taking stuff unless I absolutely have to, And wearing the compression vest 22 hours a day just off twice a day for an hour each time to wash and dry.

Anyway here is the pic 4 days post op.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41897644@N08/3953809661/
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 07:51:33 PM by theconz »

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024