Author Topic: Some questions from an 18 y/o  (Read 4619 times)

Offline Newbie

Hi all, I have some questions I hope I can get answered here.

I while ago (couple years), I hade surgery on my chest to remove the breast tissue there.  The surgery went well (besides scarring that is still slightly visible).  However, I'm still left with "pockets" of fat on either side of my chest.  This concerns me because I belived that my chest would be much flatter after this surgery.

I am overweight, but a lot of my weight in due to muscle (I've very muscular, but the fat tends to cover it up - which dissapoints me).   I have college coming up, and I really want to be a new person.  I've considered getting lyposuction on my chest to remove those pockets of fat.  I'm also concerned with the rest of my body.  I have tried exercising/weight lifting/etc..  and although the numbers have dropped significantly (almost 60lbs now thanks to exercising and the Atkins Diet), I have yet to see a large difference anywhere on my body.

My questoions are something of the following..  What problems could I run into if I have surgery twice in the same spot?  Would it not heal as much?  Is this even a good idea to try to have lyposuction?  I keep reading around that lypo is really only for fit individuals who just have small pockets of fat that need to be "corrected".

I really want to change my figure, but have found that even heavy dieting+exercise has yet to satisfy me.  Please help!

I'm sorry if I've left any important information out, it's really late and I'm like falling asleep; haha.  So I'll check back tomorrow!  Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2005, 08:13:21 PM by Newbie »

DrBermant

Hi all, I have some questions I hope I can get answered here.

I while ago (couple years), I hade surgery on my chest to remove the breast tissue there.  The surgery went well (besides scarring that is still slightly visible).  However, I'm still left with "pockets" of fat on either side of my chest.  This concerns me because I belived that my chest would be much flatter after this surgery.

I am overweight, but a lot of my weight in due to muscle (I've very muscular, but the fat tends to cover it up - which dissapoints me).   I have college coming up, and I really want to be a new person.  I've considered getting lyposuction on my chest to remove those pockets of fat.  I'm also concerned with the rest of my body.  I have tried exercising/weight lifting/etc..  and although the numbers have dropped significantly (almost 60lbs now thanks to exercising and the Atkins Diet), I have yet to see a large difference anywhere on my body.

My questoions are something of the following..  What problems could I run into if I have surgery twice in the same spot?  Would it not heal as much?  Is this even a good idea to try to have lyposuction?  I keep reading around that lypo is really only for fit individuals who just have small pockets of fat that need to be "corrected".

I really want to change my figure, but have found that even heavy dieting+exercise has yet to satisfy me.  Please help!

I'm sorry if I've left any important information out, it's really late and I'm like falling asleep; haha.  So I'll check back tomorrow!  Thanks.

Male fat tends to collect in the chest and abdominal regions as seen in this link about Sumo Wrestlers.  Plastic surgery is better for localized refinement after losing weight.  The tools we use, such as liposuction, are not good for weight loss.  Actually very little weight is removed during most plastic surgery operation.  Dieting and exercise are much better for controlling weight.

Unfortunately, you cannot pick where weight comes from - nor can you pick where weight goes back onto.  After losing weight plastic surgery can help with localized fat, gland, and extra skin.  After surgery remaining fat cells can put on more weight. If you have all of the fat removed, skin adhesion looks terrible.   I see many patients from other doctors with horrible crater defects with nothing left under the skin. Check out this crater deformity. after multiple liposuction operations.  Here is another patient with bad adhesions after multiple liposuction sessions by another doctor.  I have seen patients with such defects balloon out in surrounding regions as weight is gained - remaining cells elsewhere can still put on more fat.

Secondary surgery can help with localized tissues.  Such issues are better described with standardized photographs
and explored during consultations or preliminary remote discussions.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Chest Sculpture

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024