Author Topic: How many of y'all have told extended family?  (Read 749 times)

Brdy64

Have you told extended family about your gynecomastia? And have they been supportive?

Parents, Cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents, etc...

Brdy64

My close family new since my teens, and so did my grandparents. 
But it was not a talked about subject so I think some of my family noticed but were never "told" about it. 
My children noticed something was off, but again it wasn't "talked" about until recently. 
I don't know if cousins, uncles, or aunts really paid much attention, but I am pretty sure it was never talked about. 
It should have been talked about!

Offline FredL

• Silver Member

My oldest son, who is 27 years old, told me something interesting.

I was always concerned about how my boobs would effect my sons. They never said a word. When I announced I was getting surgery a couple years ago, they both downplayed my situation and said they never even knew I had boobs. Really? How could they not notice? Everyone notices. I responded by pulling my shirt off. Kinda wish I could undo that.

Recently I got into this topic with my older son and he revealed something. Both my sons always noticed, but they never gave it much attention. Why? He said - Respect. They didn't feel it was their place to comment on my physique.

I totally get it. Call it respect, call it love. It's a sensitive topic and you don't know how someone will respond, so it's better to just avoid it. For better or for worse.

Brdy64

My oldest son, who is 27 years old, told me something interesting.

I was always concerned about how my boobs would effect my sons. They never said a word. When I announced I was getting surgery a couple years ago, they both downplayed my situation and said they never even knew I had boobs. Really? How could they not notice? Everyone notices. I responded by pulling my shirt off. Kinda wish I could undo that.

Recently I got into this topic with my older son and he revealed something. Both my sons always noticed, but they never gave it much attention. Why? He said - Respect. They didn't feel it was their place to comment on my physique.

I totally get it. Call it respect, call it love. It's a sensitive topic and you don't know how someone will respond, so it's better to just avoid it. For better or for worse.
Interesting, so family noticed but didn't mention anything out of respect. 

p.r.1974

I get the respect side of not commenting, but part of me really wanted to have the bra talk with mom, or at least some acknowledgement.

Brdy64

I get the respect side of not commenting, but part of me really wanted to have the bra talk with mom, or at least some acknowledgement.
Yeah, talking about it became Taboo in my family. I'm sure many of the family members knew and said nothing. 
It actually makes you think you are going at it alone without support from anyone. Acknowledging it would have been such a benefit. 
Now with my children, it was my fault for never bringing it up. I should have had that talk with them years ago. 

usetobeed

I haven't told anyone. I couldn't do that. I only discuss it with my wife.

Kazmage

I haven't discussed it with anyone but the Mrs, daughter and my mum 
The others probably wouldn't understand 

Upfront

My situation is obvious to those I see regularly .No need to tell.... it gradually became obvious .
The less visited rellies can use their eyes when we meet.
I have had only two conversations 
1. My wife 
2. My youngest daughter who lives a couple of doors away when I made the first big step of wearing a bra. I made it clear that I was only telling her, but it was not secret. The rest gradually followed on

Gino

I told my GF, son, and a female neighbor. I told the neighbor because she often stared at them, and  when I did tell her she said she couldn't keep her eyes off them :-)

Offline oldguy

• Silver Member
My situation is obvious to those I see regularly .No need to tell.... it gradually became obvious .
The less visited rellies can use their eyes when we meet.
I have had only two conversations
1. My wife
2. My youngest daughter who lives a couple of doors away when I made the first big step of wearing a bra. I made it clear that I was only telling her, but it was not secret. The rest gradually followed on
Last month, I told my oldest daughter.  She wasn't fazed.  We have three daughters, so I suspect that all know.  I am still not comfortable wearing a bra when family visits.  Perhaps a jog bra, to keep them settled.  I regularly wear a chest strap when exercising to monitor my heart rate.  That is just under the breasts and covered by the jog bra.  My daughters and grandkids probably won't notice.  If one does, time for a conversation.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024