Author Topic: steroids for scar tissue  (Read 12748 times)

Offline rowdy99

• Bronze Member
Can anyone give me any info on having steroids injected to break up builtup scar tissue?

I'm 9 months post op and my PS figures I have excessive scar tissue built up under both sides of my chest. 

any knowledge on the process would be very helpful...   thanks in advance.

Offline dcvet

• Silver Member
its pretty simple really.  You basically see the PS and he injects a steroid such as kenalog directly into the scar tissue.  The fact that it's injected into the scar tissue, is in a water based suspension and not attached to an ester makes it fast acting and does not migrate to other areas of yoiur body.  This means that there is little to no adverse effects from the shot except for assisting in breaking down the tissue. However, side effects can occur if too much is used and it is injected into other tissue. 

I had a kenalog shot about 4 weeks ago and the scar tissue is about 25% the size it was before getting the injection. 

Offline PaulSW

• Silver Member
dcvet

How long did you wait before having the injections?
Surgery DEC 07 Dr Benito
Revision March 09 Dr Benito
Injection for scar tissue March 2011 Dr Levick

Pictures - http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=12440.0

Offline dcvet

• Silver Member
I had the surgery in october and the kenalog shots in March - so about 5 months.  They normally do not want to do the injections too early as a lot of tissue changes can occur in the first several months.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Absolutely right!  Give Mother Nature a chance to heal (you can help her with a little massage).  She will usually do a decent job if you give her enough time and aren't jumping the gun by being too anxious.

Usually I will begin a series of steroid injections (ie Kenalog) at 5-6 months post-op if bothersome scar tissue persists -- rarely sooner.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline PaulSW

• Silver Member
Thanks for the info

Offline hatemynips

• Posting Member
How long after surgery should you start massaging?

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Massage after surgery -- gently at first (and use a skin cream when you massage to lubricate the skin) -- can begin anytime after 4-6 weeks post op.  First check with your surgeon to see if that is OK.

Dr Jacobs

Offline The_G0rn

• Gold Member
Question:

1 - Should you massage even if you DONT have scar tissue..i.e. is there any benefit to the healing process by massaging?
2 - How do you know if your nipples are ready for massage? Mine are still pretty sad looking from surgery and very tender. I'm at 3 weeks PO
Surgery done 18th March 2008

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
In general, I would not massage until about 4-6 weeks post op -- and then only if there appears to be some irregularity in your chest contours.  If the contours are acceptable, then jut let the body heal naturally.

Dr Jacobs

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024