Author Topic: Depressed because of Gynecomastia// compression vests  (Read 3125 times)

Offline joe97

• Posting Member
Im 15, 5ft11 and weigh 160 pounds. Im fed up to the back teeth of my man boobs, they aren't even bad compared to what I have seen on here but they are noticeable under a t shirt, hoodie etc. It's all i seem to think about, and I just can't help it, it makes me so depressed and I just want them to go. Im already saving money to get surgery, i'd get it now if i could but they could come back. What is the minimum age for surgery?
For the tie being I need to ask, what would be the best way to hide them? Such as a compression vest etc. I don't mind wearing one as long as it doesn't make me extremely hot. And is there a chance they would go, seen as im almost 16? Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 07:44:34 PM by joe97 »

Offline Bain-of-my-life

• Bronze Member
Hi Joe. I would imagine either 16 or 18 is the legal age for the surgery to be conducted although this is guess work. I went through my teenage years feeling depressed and being bullied about my chest and it was a horrible time of my life which should have been the best time of my life! If I have one regret it is not getting the surgery done sooner, especially before university. Have you told your parents about it? I was lucky as I didn't have the balls to talk to them directly but they intercepted a parcel in my name whilst I was out and they found a compression top in the parcel and they supported me completed and even helped me go through with the surgery (Financially and emotionally!).

My advise to you would be to get it sorted sooner rather than later if it is really bothering you. I am only 1 week post op and I am already wearing t-shirts out in public... something I haven't done for about 5 years!

Offline McGilli

• Silver Member
Hey. You mentioned yours aren't that bad. So - I would suggest just getting a athletic compression tank top. Like Under Armour or similar.

Good luck.

Offline joe97

• Posting Member
I've told my parents but they just dismiss it, My mom get's annoyed when I bring it up and it always ends up in an argument, so surgery is out of the question as I cannot afford it myself. is there still a chance they will go/ decrease in size seen as I am still going through puberty?

Also Mcgilli which compression tank top would you recommend, and will it make me really hot when it is warm weather/summer??
thanks for the help :)

Offline twoshirts

• Posting Member
I am 35 years young.  I have had gyno since the age of 14.  Just had it removed 3 days ago.  Life is tough and gyno surgery isn't for everyone.  I will say, as I walked along the streets today and caught my reflection in the storefront windows, I saw no puffy nipples.  I am finally free from the curse.

Offline joe97

• Posting Member
I would love to get surgery but as I said, it's not going to happen because im 15 and can't afford to be spending £2000 on it. My question now is, what would be a thin, comfortable compression vest that wouldn't effect my body temperature, as in it won't make me sweat and overheat in warm/hot weather?

edit: also, as I am 15, going on 16, is there still a chance that my gyno will go, or reduce in size?

Offline joe97

• Posting Member
bump, can anyone answer the question I asked above?! Please

Offline Mark123

• Posting Member
Yes, there is a chance that people who develop it as a teen will lose it when they finish puberty/grow up.

I was told before surgery that I would feel uncomfortable and hot in the vest, but I honestly don't feel too much warmer in the vest. Of course I didn't have my surgery while I was in high school(graduated last year) so I can't say how you will feel wearing it for an entire school day. I have been wearing it to college classes and around in public and it has been just fine

Offline joe97

• Posting Member
Ok thanks for the help :) , hopefully they will just go by themselves, I noticed recently that one decreased in soze, which is good but it makes the other one look bigger. I think I will get an under armour vest, there meant to keep you cool and prevent sweating, hopefully it'll be good :)

Offline tpuk

• Silver Member
I think I read that 60%+ men get some degree of gyne during puberty; some might resolve - some wont. A friend of mine had it at age 19/20 (poss earlier) it went away to a large degree after that - but he did start working out & changing his life-style etc.

Its most likely too early at 15 to make a solid decision. You can just get prepared as much as possible - mentally & physically.

GL

ps dont expect anybody to just understand this condition (including doctors) - they might do, but probably not.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
What I find to be most disturbing is that the percentage of people with the condition seems to be relatively consistant while the people who truly suffer seems to be rising.

When I turned 12 (in 1949) I was told the standard "It usually goes away in a couple of years."  Later I was told to lose some weight. At 18 years and 5'10" I was 135 lbs. It was embarrassing, but only a source of some teasing that I could either live with or show the teasers I was not a very good victim. Surgery was not a good option in those times so a man really had no choice but to learn to live with it.

The situation today is much worse and the nastiest part of this is that the young men are their own worst enemies.

There is a lot going on here that I simply do not understand.
Grandpa Dan

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024