Author Topic: peculiar issue  (Read 3907 times)

Offline ihatepickingnames

It's been two years since I've had surgery and I have two rather pressing concerns.

As far as the progression of the healing has gone, it appears that one side still has a sizable amount of scar tissue and presumably as a result the nipple is irregular. It's hard to describe and ill post pics later, but it's puffy only in the top section. It puffs out then steeply recedes, becomes flat, and meets the scar line. The other side, however, is fine.

That is my first concern. I'm curious as to if my presumption that it may be due to the scar tissue is correct. Because its where the scar tissue seems to begin that the nipple seems to flatten out. My theory (of which I have many) is that the scar tissue in a way pushed up the fatty deposits causing the top of the nipple to puff out. Of course I could be completely wrong.

My second concern is the visibility of the scar lines. My chest is rather built, but the nipples are at a level that they are not oriented down so the scar line is quite evident. To compound it I'm currently pale because I've been to embarrassed to go swimming with my friends and actually tan.

Now my question is how to resolve this issue. First of all, are there any reliable treatments for decreasing the contrast of the scar. I tried some neosporin scar treatments that were applied like bandages, but I quickly lost hope after a couple of weeks since they did absolutely nothing (I think I use well over half of the box). Also I'm curious as to whether or not tanning would help hide the scars. They are quite obvious and once I post some pictures you can all see. But for now, I hope my descriptions are adequate enough to allow for help.

Thank you in advance for the wisdom of those who know more than I do =[

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Re the scars:  if they are wide and flat or wide and depressed, you might re-visit your PS and inquire about scar revision, which is an operation just on the scar to make it better, flatter and  narrower.  Remember, there will always be a scar -- sometimes it can be improved. Tanning will not help because scars do not have melanin pigments -- in fact, tanning might increase the contrast between the paler scars and your normal (now tanned) skin. 

Sometimes, in the early stages of healing, the application of cocoa butter to the scars can help to bring back some pigment -- but at 2 yrs post op, I am doubtful if it would work.  Nevertheless, it might be worth a chance.  If you do try it, apply twice daily and use it for at least three months in order to assess any improvement. You can buy cocoa butter -- very inexpensive -- in any pharmacy over the counter.

Re the contours of your chest and nipples -- best to re-visit your surgeon and ask his opinion.

Elliot Jacobs, MD,  FACS
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline ihatepickingnames

the scar is actually darker than the surround areas so tanning I'd think would decrease the contrast. I know that by the nature of scars there are no melanocytes to respond to the sun and produce a pigmentation change, but what I wanted was to make the surrounding areas darker so that the scar would blend in more.

I appreciate your advice on my situation, and I plan to revisit my surgeon sometime in the future.

Offline sLaCk540

• Posting Member
Im in the same situation has you, my right nipple is puffly and i feel like scar tissue under it.
Im 7 week post op, will post some pics in the next hours.

Good luck

Offline ellington7

• Bronze Member
Forget everything you've heard and do this.  Go to your doc and ask about having weekly ultrasounds over the area where the scar tissue is. 
This will break down the scar tissue and leave you with a smooth hard chest after a couple months of weekly regiments.

Offline The_G0rn

• Gold Member
Forget everything you've heard and do this.  Go to your doc and ask about having weekly ultrasounds over the area where the scar tissue is. 
This will break down the scar tissue and leave you with a smooth hard chest after a couple months of weekly regiments.

Interesting concept.  Have you actually done this yourself?
Anyone else?
Surgery done 18th March 2008

Offline ellington7

• Bronze Member
yes!, and it works my friend

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024