Author Topic: Surgery done and two months into recovery!  (Read 5364 times)

Offline Jake

• Silver Member
  • My body is my temple.
It's been a little while since I've posted.  But I had my surgery done in July on the 18th.  I think it's been almost 2 and a half months ago now.  Feels more like a year ago though!  Anyways, I feel way better than I did before and I'm noticing the differences every day.  But recovery is tough, and it really does get worse before things start to go back to how they were a few days after the surgery.

I remember about 3 days post-op, I was up late and decided to go ahead and take the bandages off (just the gauze).  When I took them off I felt a little sick, but when I seen my new chest I was happy I just started laughing!  It was amazing.  I felt great and felt alive again.

About a month later everything started to go away though.  I just look at it as my body putting on padding to help protect the affected area while it heals.  But the downside is it brings up the old feelings I had when I had all my gland there.  But I am remaining positive and hopeful and can't wait to see what it looks like next summer!  Maybe then I can go tanning and shirtless while I run with no fear.  God I hope so.

So I got the before/after pics from my Doc not too long ago and thought I'd share that as well.  Remember, the after photos were taken only 2 weeks after the surgery.  Swelling has increased a little since then, but not too much.

I have a long way to go until I'm fully recovered (that includes emotionally as well).  But I like to equate the recovery process to being reborn in a sense.  It is painful at first, but eventually there is only happiness.

Had gynecomastia since age 12.
Surgery performed on July 18, 2008 by
Dr. Jeffrey Wagner in Indianapolis, IN.
(Excision and Liposuction)

"The heart moves on while the mind remembers."

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
Jake,

Nice result.  Did your PS instruct you to massage your chest?  You describe what sounds like swelling fairly late after the surgery.  Swelling should go down pretty quickly and I always instruct my patients to use an electric massager once or twice daily for at least 6 weeks after surgery.  I know it's been a few months for you, but you sound like you're still swollen, true?  Has your doc discussed chest massage?

Dr. Pope, M.D.
George H Pope, MD, FACS
Certified - American Board of Plastic Surgery
Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
www.georgepopemd.com
Phone: 407-857-6261

Offline Jake

• Silver Member
  • My body is my temple.
[quote author=Dr. Pope link=topic=15928.msg110908#msg110908 date=1224303851]
Jake,

Nice result.  Did your PS instruct you to massage your chest?  You describe what sounds like swelling fairly late after the surgery.  Swelling should go down pretty quickly and I always instruct my patients to use an electric massager once or twice daily for at least 6 weeks after surgery.  I know it's been a few months for you, but you sound like you're still swollen, true?  Has your doc discussed chest massage?

Dr. Pope, M.D.
[/quote]

Thank you for the reply!  No, my PS never mentioned massaging the affected area.  He just said to give it a year and I will see improvements.  If it helps, I could always start massaging my chest a couple times a day everyday.  It's not very sensitive anymore and that makes it easier.

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
I think vigorous massage really helps.  I recommend twice daily, for 10 minutes or so each session, with a flat head electric massager.

Good luck-

Dr. Pope, M.D.

Offline Jake

• Silver Member
  • My body is my temple.
[quote author=Dr. Pope link=topic=15928.msg110953#msg110953 date=1224371427]
I think vigorous massage really helps.  I recommend twice daily, for 10 minutes or so each session, with a flat head electric massager.

Good luck-

Dr. Pope, M.D.
[/quote]

Will do.  Thank you!

Offline monsterclean

• Bronze Member

Offline Jake

• Silver Member
  • My body is my temple.

Offline user87

• Silver Member
any remarkable improvement since October?
you look better on your post-op pic, but i'm sure that it's not what you wanted

Offline Jake

• Silver Member
  • My body is my temple.
If you're so sure then maybe you've been following some of my posts?  I have another post after this one with pics that I took in January or February, I can't remember.

You're right, it isn't exactly what I wanted.  I've struggled with it since having the surgery but have come to accept it until I can afford revision with a much better surgeon in the future.  It isn't quite as prominent now.  So I don't have to work to hide anything.  But it still looks a little off kilter with the rest of my body.  I'm fine with smaller shirts, but I still hesitate to take my shirt off.

The surgeon I chose (the only surgeon visited) wasn't very experienced with gynecomastia surgeries.  He had performed them in the past, but I don't think he did a whole hell of a lot of them.  His cases were generally either really minor or severe.  Even the severe cases looked like a bunch of fat guys that should have lost weight before having surgery.  I was a mild case, obviously.  He did the surgery, I healed up with more breast tissue left than I would have liked.  The result is what I'm living with now (just look at my previous posts for the 6 months pics).

It's indeed bullshit and that surgeon did a pathetic job.  He was very qualified and had a good rep. but just didn't work for me.  I asked about revision but he claimed there was nothing wrong.  He said he would do revision but wanted me to think about it first.  I thought about it at home for a few weeks, and e-mailed his office for a price on revision.  His office e-mailed me back and told me that I needed to wait the full year (until this July) and when I came back he would perform liposuction on my chest (only lipo) for another 3,500 dollars.  My parents paid 4200 for the original procedure.  I wouldn't go back to him even if I had a complete recurrence of gynecomastia.

I got screwed because of my hasty decision.  You live and you burn.

Offline Jake

• Silver Member
  • My body is my temple.

Offline Jake

• Silver Member
  • My body is my temple.
I wish I could go see another surgeon and discuss my problem.  But my Mom just can't afford another surgery and I would have to work for months before having the cash (which I plan on doing).  It looks like I'll have a summer job so maybe I can get some coin from that.  At least a couple thousand over the course of 3 months.  Then I have to start college though.  I know though that I'll get the money and keep it stowed away.  Then work the next summer after college and get another thousand or two and I would be set.  That's my long term plan of action.

But you know what?  User87 seemed to know me so well enough to be "sure" that I'm not happy with my results.  Why can't I be happy?  And if I'm not happy, then I'll make my body something to be proud of.  With or without gyne, I'll make my body and my lifestyle something to be proud of.  I'm not fat, but I'm not skinny.  I've already changed my diet and started counting calories each day.  I just have to keep up my running.  Within time if I remain strong and keep my goal in mind I should have a great looking body.  I survived seven years with a burden and I'm not about ready to get down on myself even more.

No more late nights eating ice cream and escaping into movies.  No more staring into the mirror wondering why I just can't be a little flatter.  Within time, I'll look into the mirror and see my abs and no little fat flap above my boxers.  Then when I go to see a surgeon I can just say, "Hey, make my chest look as good as the rest of my body."

;)

I may not be completely happy with one small aspect of my body.  But I will make the rest of my body something to be happy about.
This I have promised myself.

Offline user87

• Silver Member
yeah. I read some of your posts.
but I am exactly in the same situation as you are! my ps left a bit too much tissue. it was more of a gynecomastia reduction then a removal of the problem.
i was too lazy to go to different ps' and then to choose between them. my ps told me that it's going to be flat and so I just trusted him. but, it is not!
it's at some point where my ps is not forced to give me a revision. he didn't really fucked it up. he just left a bit too much gland, but in HIS eyes it looks good.
so the only thing we can do is to accept the situation (not forgetting how it looked before) and knowing that one day we will be fucking flat ;-)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 08:42:54 AM by user87 »

Offline Jake

• Silver Member
  • My body is my temple.
yeah. I read some of your posts.
but I am exactly in the same situation as you are! my ps left a bit too much tissue. it was more of a gynecomastia reduction then a removal of the problem.
i was too lazy to go to different ps' and then to choose between them. my ps told me that it's going to be flat and so I just trusted him. but, it is not!
it's at some point where my ps is not forced to give me a revision. he didn't really fucked it up. he just left a bit too much gland, but in HIS eyes it looks good.
so the only thing we can do is to accept the situation (not forgetting how it looked before) and knowing that one day we will be fucking flat ;-)

One day, one day.   ;)

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024