Author Topic: Compression Vest vs. Ace Bandages???  (Read 9370 times)

Offline LLTrain

• Posting Member
Hi guys, I've just got a quick question: I've been to two consultations, and I was kind of distraught to find that both had different theories as far as recovery and everything goes.

The first place was very nice, had TWO doctors (Dr. Dr. Wilcox and Dr. Dulin), and gave a flat rate for lipoplasty AND gland removal ($4600). Only problem is they're located about 2 hours away from where I live (which means I'd have to ride in the car for two hours before *anticipation* and after *soreness/tired-ness* the surgery) My consult with him (Dulin) went exactly as expected, after reading some of the stories on this forum. He would make two-incisions close to my armpits and go in and do the whole lipo-thing. I would have to wear the vest for an allotted amount of time and after that time, be done and on my way. They could also get me in within a week.

The second place is in my home town, with a Dr. Mustafa. He has his own practice here in Wichita Falls. Although the building and everything wasn't as nice, I still thought I'd give it a shot and talk to him to see what he had to say. Although I didn't feel as comfortable with him or his staff (not for any reason other than the nurses may have not been as "pretty" and he didn't speak extremely clear english...and no, I'm not indicating that he is not as qualified as others who do..just read on to determine exactly what I meant) I still had the idea of his office being about 4 minutes away from my home in the front of my mind. Unfortunately, he didn't seem maybe as interested (or he didn't have enough time for me, perhaps?) as Dulin originally did. He was very short, checked me out really fast, and gave me an estimate on prices. His price for the Lipo part was $4300....however, if he did both lipo AND gland removal, it'd be $5800...much higher than Dulin. (Dulin also said that he didn't think it needed to be done, but if after the Lipo it didn't look completely good to him, he'd go ahead and do the gland removal)

Another main big difference they had, something I've never heard of on these boards, is that Mustafa simply uses Ace Bandage Wraps instead of the infamous compression vest. When he first told us this while explaining what it'd be like after surgery, I was completely baffled. I had to interrupt him to ask about that, letting him know that I had never heard of that before and why he just doesn't use the compression vest? He said that the vests aren't custom fit to the patient, therefore they have been known to "be uncomfortable for the patient, irritating the soft skin under and around the armpit. The ace bandage wrap is much easier to form to the patients body, and is much more comfortable than the vests."

So, my main question then is if anyone else has ever heard of this or even used that method before? This is one (of many) things that have slowed me down in my decision of whom to go with for my surgery. Any insight is much appreciated...and if you're one of the many who have already had their gyno taken care of, PM me because I have even more questions that I need answered before I make my closing decisions!

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
My PS said that a vest would not be necessary. so initially, I wore an ace bandage. The ace bandage was very comfortable. However, it wouldn't stay in one position. Also, the ace bandage was very difficult to put on. PITA it was!

So I bought what is called an Abdominal Binder. Basically, an Ab Binder is a big tensor wrap that is fastened by velcro. The velcro fastening is a great feature as you can put it as tight or as loose as you want it to be. It's very easy to put on and take off. If I was a PS, I'd be recommending the Ab Binder over any compression vest.

Don't be too concerned with Doc Mustafa's suggestion of just an ace bandage. Ace bandages are good enough for post gyne healing if you don't have the extra cash for a vest or binder. Weather it be a vest, an ace bandage or an ab binder, the most important thing is that you have 'some' form of compression at the surgery site... ;)

GB
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
like gb said, he may just prefer the flexibility of the ace since it might be easier to get on and off in the still delicate post-op stages. 

distance?  so what?  so for $1200 difference, do you think you could afford a motel for a few days? ;)  or maybe even a taxi and a bus ticket?  bring an ipod, it'll help relax you.  if you don't have one, you can take it out of part of that $1200 too. 

the fact the second guy was short bothers me just a little, it may just be that he doesn't need to spend much time on it, but he should at least leave you feeling like he takes your questions and concerns seriously. 

the main thing is you have the excision option as well for both.  but if the first two are reasonably experienced, i see no reason not to give them real consideration.  the site has a search engine, and see what google turns up too.  if they promise to leave the excision option really open as they go, think about it. 
* a man is more than a body will ever tell
* if it screws up your life the same, is there really any such thing as "mild" gyne?

Offline chubs

• Posting Member
2 hours away is nothing?  I drove from southern california into Tijuana for about the same time.  I was excited but not nervous, even minutes prior to walking into the surgery room with IV hooked up to one arm.  Like others stated, for the amount that you saved, you could easily get a hotel to stay at for the first night after, or even see if the clinic offers over night stay with the help of a on-duty nurse to take care of you. 

Offline cecly

• Silver Member
If you dont feel comfortable with your PS then trust your instincts and stay away.

As for the first PS let him know your concerns about the gland, and that you would prefer it removed (it is your money of course). Dont tell him how to do his job though. Also check his successes and failures by asking him, and if he can answer your questions and concerns i say go ahead.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Two hours is not an excessive drive time as several have already noted. Even if the distance could be driven in five minutes, You should not drive yourself but have someone else to act as your chaufer for the day.

The argument over the differences between elastic bandages and compression garments will never be completely settled. Each Dr. will use what they have had success with in the past. It is that simple. Both forms of compression have advantages and disadvantages.

Just as cost alone is a poor basis for selection of a surgeon; The Dr's. bedside manner is hardly the best determining factor either. Do your homeworkk about each Dr. and then stick with the Dr. in whom you have the greatest confidence.
Grandpa Dan

Offline LLTrain

• Posting Member
Mustafa, the doctor I felt a little less comfortable (rushed) with has actually had about 10 more years experience in gynecomastia surgeries than Dulin. See, things like that just contradict how I feel and how I should feel about both of the plastic surgeons. The one I felt more comfortable with has had about 5 years of experience, whereas the other has had 20 years...

I'm about to go back to Mustafa to see some before/after photos of his own work (something Dulin provided during the initial consult), so I'll get back to everyone as far as how I feel after...

DrBermant

I do not like Ace bandages for my patients for many reasons.  They tend to slip.  They have an unpredictable force that can impair  blood supply or not apply enough pressure to minimize swelling.  And, they are just not as comfortable as the Compression Vests for After Gynecomastia Surgery that I have helped evolve over the years. 

These vests factor in my Minimal Bruising After Gynecomastia Surgery and the Comfort After Gynecomastia Surgery that I am able to achieve for my patients.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia

Offline LLTrain

• Posting Member
Although I do not feel 100% comfortable with Mustafa, I think I'm going to stick with him. When I went in yesterday to see some before and after pictures, he only had 3 to offer, the newest of which was from 2004. Dulin, although he hasn't had his own private practice for as long, had close to 20 different examples, as recent as 3 months ago.

I asked one of Mustafa's Nurses again about the ace bandages vs. the compression vest...they said that they can provide a compression vest if that is preferred. I have my surgery on the 12th of November...what do y'all think I should do??? Should I go with the vest, or risk it with the bandages?

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
I have my surgery on the 12th of November...what do y'all think I should do??? Should I go with the vest, or risk it with the bandages?

Dude... don't get your shorts in a bunch. Try the ace bandage first, and if you are not happy with it, buy yourself a vest... Simple!  ;)

GB

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024