Author Topic: Anyone Think Surgery WASN'T Worth It?  (Read 7929 times)

Offline Jack17

• Bronze Member
I’m 17 and I have gyne enough that it bothers me, and that I adjust my wardrobe and the experiences I expose myself to. I’m a healthy guy, with a lot of good stuff going for me, but it’s still something that I have to think about every day at some point.

I do have the $4,000-$5,000 I’m told it’d cost me. I have $10,000 I saved up to travel for the three months in the summer before college. I mean, I’d still be able to do that with $5,000-$6,000 dollars, I’d just have to downsize my plans.

So I’ve been browsing the forum here, and seen a lot of people satisfied with it, but is there anyone here who thinks that it wasn’t worth it?

It’s a lot of money to spend, but I feel like I’d expose myself to more fun experiences in college (maybe that’s dumb, I don’t know). I guess I’m probably just looking for some reassurance before I have to sit down and talk about this with my parents (ughhh).

- John

Offline nick24

• Bronze Member
My life before surgery<My life after surgery.  Im only 3 weeks post op but a flat chest through my shirt and healing up quick is great.

Offline cecly

• Silver Member
Nope, it is the best money that I will ever spend in my life. I look at myself then and now and I consider myself to have a normal body just like everyone else which I never think twice about except for damn I look nice.

Offline i_dont_know

• Silver Member
Too early for me to tell since I just had the surgery 2 days ago, but I can say for almost a complete certainty that it will end up being some of the best money I've ever spent.

Think about all the times you avoid wearing a certain shirt or fold your arms a certain way or stand with your back to the wind or pinch your nipples when you have to take your shirt off or when you avoid the beach or the pool in the summertime and on and on and on.... and then think about NEVER having to do any of that ever again. Think about being able to slip on a snug fitting t-shirt and not worrying about your chest protruding through it... think about all the mental energy you probably expend on hiding it and being conscious of it all the time and then never having to worry about it again.

It's worth it. Make sure you go to a surgeon who is well versed in this surgery and get it done. The few weeks/months of soreness and post-op healing will be WELL worth having the rest of your life with a flat chest. I wish I did this sooner but I'm still in my early 20's and I absolutely cannot WAIT to never be self conscious about my chest ever again. I've been thin my entire life which has made it even more frustrating... my weight has never ever been something I've been self conscious about. Just the gyne.. once I'm healed, I'll be shame free. Finally! :)

Offline Ben2cat

• Posting Member
I too want to join this group....

13genof

If surgery is worth it or not is up to the individual to determine if it was WORTH it,  I am not sure of exact number of successful and botched surgeries there are!    It seems that there have been plenty of post on here of people having to have revision's, and implants to fix CRATER DEFORMITIES!    On the hand there plenty of SECESSFUL results posted on this website!

I would love to see a study done on Gynecomastia surgery patients  by NON-PLASTIC SURGEONS, OR ANYONE WHO DEALS WITH GYNECOMASTIA, YOU KNOW A INDEPNDENT RESEARCHER!!

ALL IN ALL THE ULTIMATE DECSSION IS UP TO THE INDIVIDUAL IF IT WAS WORTH IT OR NOT!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 01:04:44 PM by 13genof »

Offline mrpower33

• Silver Member
I agree with the last poster, a lot of us here have probably developed some sort of Body Dysmorphic Disorder and if that's the case, correcting it is probably the only way to go.  If it's just an annoyance and you otherwise have a strong center of gravity and lots of good things going for you, maybe you don't need it.  My experience is pretty weird, I had puffy nipples growing up, and they bothered me, but it didn't take over my life.  When they subsided a bit in college, I almost completely forgot about them.  Then I found this site and started to obsess about it again, until one day I just spontaneously called a surgeon and had the surgery.  Now I'm almost 4 weeks post-op.  Was it worth it?  I don't know, I hope to God that it was.  If there are any long-term deformities caused by the surgery, it will most definitely NOT be worth it.  So if you decide to take the plunge, spend as much money as you need to to get the best surgeon there is, you will DEFINITELY regret it if it doesn't come out right and in fact, made it WORSE. 

Then again, my case was pretty mild and probably mostly in my head and my life is otherwise pretty good.  I can tell you for certain, however, that it is possible to live a perfectly happy life with gyne, despite what most people on this board will tell you.  Remember that most people are here for a reason, there is a self-selective bias in the opinions you are getting.   

13genof

NICE and THOUGHTFUL RESONSE, you hit the nail on the HEAD!!!  CUDOS to you!

Offline superduty

• Posting Member
13genof is right on.  I had my surgery about a month ago.  I am currently very unhappy with the results.  Both nipples have a fold/crease and I have cratering when I lift my arms or flex.  Some folks here are simply happy to be able to wear a more snug shirt.  I definitely look better in clothing, but my thoughts are if you are going to spend the $$ then I should be able to take my shirt off as well.  I know people say just wait you will heal up.  I hope they are correct, but I can tell you I have seen no change in appearance (cratering and fold) since week 2.  I am not optimistic it will "fix" itself as some on here suggest.

I am not enthusiastic about revision surgery - especially if it is with the same surgeon - if he messed it up the first time, what makes one think he will get it right the second time around?

My advice is to be very careful in surgeon choice.  I have seen very little bad press on here about Bermant.  I have to assume if he was "messing" up his patients we would hear about it on these boards????  If I had to do it again, it would be a no brainer for me, and I would go with Bermant.

I hope in a few months I will come back to this post and eat my words, and my chest will look fine, but I doubt it.

All this said, if you have surgery and obtain good results, it will likely be the best money you have ever spent.

Steve Montalbano

I just had the surgery almost 5 weeks ago and i'm so so happy now.  I had b-cups and now i'm flat and look great.

Offline as400

• Silver Member
13genof is right on.  I had my surgery about a month ago.  I am currently very unhappy with the results.  Both nipples have a fold/crease and I have cratering when I lift my arms or flex.  Some folks here are simply happy to be able to wear a more snug shirt.  I definitely look better in clothing, but my thoughts are if you are going to spend the $$ then I should be able to take my shirt off as well.  I know people say just wait you will heal up.  I hope they are correct, but I can tell you I have seen no change in appearance (cratering and fold) since week 2.  I am not optimistic it will "fix" itself as some on here suggest.

I am not enthusiastic about revision surgery - especially if it is with the same surgeon - if he messed it up the first time, what makes one think he will get it right the second time around?

My advice is to be very careful in surgeon choice.  I have seen very little bad press on here about Bermant.  I have to assume if he was "messing" up his patients we would hear about it on these boards????  If I had to do it again, it would be a no brainer for me, and I would go with Bermant.

I hope in a few months I will come back to this post and eat my words, and my chest will look fine, but I doubt it.

All this said, if you have surgery and obtain good results, it will likely be the best money you have ever spent.

I am concerned that your surgeon hasn't given you correct advise, or you have forgotton it.

You say you have seen no improvement between week 2 and now (one month).

You should have been told that the healing time could be 12-18 months...of course you havn't seen any improvement between week 2 and 4!......Also if you read on here many many people will state that they didn't see final results until many months post surgery....

It was explained to me by my surgeon that surgery isnt an exact science, your not going to immediately end up looking like my avatar.

Just enjoy the fact you can now wear a t-shirt or sweater without having two big breasts bouncing about.
Before you criticise a man walk a mile in his shoes, after that who cares? your a mile away and have his shoes.

Offline Pacifico

• Silver Member
With the right attitude and expectation and a competent surgeon it is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo worth it.  3 months post op and loving it!

Offline superduty

• Posting Member

I am concerned that your surgeon hasn't given you correct advise, or you have forgotton it.

You say you have seen no improvement between week 2 and now (one month).

You should have been told that the healing time could be 12-18 months...of course you havn't seen any improvement between week 2 and 4!......Also if you read on here many many people will state that they didn't see final results until many months post surgery....

It was explained to me by my surgeon that surgery isnt an exact science, your not going to immediately end up looking like my avatar.

Just enjoy the fact you can now wear a t-shirt or sweater without having two big breasts bouncing about.

My surgeon explained that ultimate results take time.  I do understand that part of it.  But the problems that I am experiencing now are apparently problems that shouldnt be occuring.  Cratering and folds/creases in both breasts.  These are apparently things that rarely (if ever) improve with time.  That seems to be the consensus of folks here on this board and from some of the doctors here on this board.

If all you want is to look good in a shirt, then I suggest you go to ANY plastic surgeon that has done at least one gyno surgery.  If looking good without your shirt is also important to you, I suggest you pick a Dr. such as a Bermant or Jacobs who have done 100s and 100s of these.  I haven't dealt personally with either of them, but the lack of bad reviews on here indicates to me they must be doing a good job.

I feel like I have traded my gyno for a different problem (crater and folds).  I am not complaining when wearing a shirt - but I feel like I am still in the same boat with regards to taking off my shirt.

I am in no way telling you NOT to get surgery, I am only cautioning you to get it done by the best and most experienced in the field.

Offline Hope

• Silver Member
I am 3 days post op and so far so good.

I had a pretty bad case but I would say it will be worth it in the long run.

This surgery is a long term investment that is how I see it anway. As long as I stay healthy and it doesnt come back then it was totally worth it.
*Gyne free thanks to Mr Levick on  April 9th 2009*

Steve Montalbano

Hello, I wish I did it 20 years ago for me it was the best thing I ever did for me

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024