Author Topic: compression vests and post op swelling  (Read 2673 times)

Offline nipplevision

• Silver Member
Hi,

Been posting several topics with questions about my recovery.
I was wondering - does wearing a compression vest that is not tight enough cause permanent swelling or only temporary swelling?
Before the op I was working out 3x a week (heavy weight training). The vest was very tight in the beginning but now that I haven't worked out for 3 weeks already, I notice that the vest isn't as tight anymore. (chest has become slightly smaller because of lack of exercise).

Do I need to order new vests that are a size smaller? Or will this not affect the end result?
My nipples are a bit puffy again (now 3 weeks post op), and I'm very paranoid about what could be the cause.

Thanks in advance for the input.

Offline jblorien

• Posting Member
im not a doc, just my opinion

puffy nips are mostly from fat and gland underneath. Go to your doc and get him to see if you need a smaller vest. The nurse that fitted me checked by sliding two fingers under the front V like portion and pulling away from my chest. Further they used a measuring tape and only meausured the usual chest distance. The Tape said i would fit a medium, but after trying it on and getting the nurse to do her two finger test. She decided that I should get a Small.

Therefore, i would say that compression of the the vest makes a huge difference and this is something i'd check out with your doctor about. You don't want to spend hundreds of dollars and miss out on results b/c you didn't want to ask a very good question about your recovery

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I think you have it backwards -- snugs compression garments do not cause swelling -- they help to reduce it.

I am not married to any one particular garment -- the main thing is that one should definitely wear a very snug compression garment for at least several weeks after surgery -- and longer if possible.  It can only help -- it cannot hurt.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline nipplevision

• Silver Member
Just to be on the safe side, I ordered 2 new compression shirts today, size L (the ones I have now are XL and I have the feeling that they aren't tight like in the beginning). Haven't worked out in weeks so my chest is not as 'pumped up' as it was.
They will arrive on Monday probably so I'll start wearing them from then on. Maybe they'll help reduce the swelling in my nipples.
Can't blame a guy for trying right?

grtz

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024