Author Topic: Post Surgery Cardio  (Read 2433 times)

Offline jblorien

• Posting Member
Hi guys,

i'm 4 weeks post op. I was told I could do light cardio at 3 weeks.

I usually ran 3 miles 5X/week before my surgery. Is it ok to work my way back up to that now--Meaning do 1 mile a day then 1.5 weeks from now go to 2 miles etc.

What kind of light cardio did you guys do? I still ahve some weight i wanna lose and want to get the ball rolling on cardio.

Thanks

Offline legalman

• Posting Member
i've been wondering the same thing. when is running considered to be too much stress on the tissues, at at what stage could healing tissues sustain this type of active (with proper support/compression)?

any docs want to chime in on this?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Your surgeon is the best person to question on this because he knows your health history and also the extent of the surgery performed.

In general, for my patients, I allow a gradual return to cardio and weight training beginning at 3-4 weeks after surgery.  Some patients develop chest swelling on this regimen -- so the use of a very snug compression garment for a few hours after exercise can help to minimize the swelling.  However, some guys immediately begin significant amounts of exercise -- and can over do it.

Best advice:  be careful and resume slowly and gradually -- and observe your chest for any untoward swelling after the activity.  If swelling occurs, then perhaps back off intense training for a bit.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024