Author Topic: Left nipple is still black from surgery  (Read 6930 times)

PJTool

I'm on my 6th day post op and my left nipple is still black.  Right nipple is a little
deformed but the color is the same as before surgery.  I've heard of men losing
blood to their nipples after surgery and it dying off.  Can anyone confirm this or
give me some advice?  I go in this Thursday for the 7 day follow up with my surgeon.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 03:26:42 AM by Lateralus »

Offline jsboob

• Silver Member
Id go see a doc asap! May be nothing to worry about but yes you are very correct, the nipple can die!

Any part of your body turning black is not a good sign.

DrBermant

I'm on my 6th day post op and my left nipple is still black.  Right nipple is a little
blood to their nipples after surgery and it dying off.  Can anyone confirm this or
give me some advice?  I go in this Thursday for the 7 day follow up with my surgeon.

Posting Standard After Gynecomastia Surgery Photos can help others understand your concerns.

Yes, the blood supply can be damaged by this surgery. A dark nipple areola can be the result of dried blood / scab, impaired blood supply, death partial thickness or full thickness nipple / skin. It is extremely rare to have such a complication with careful surgery, but it can happen. If one of my patients had such a concern, I would want them to call me immediately so they could be evaluated and appropriate intervention (if needed) can be taken.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Revision Gynecomastia and Chest Surgery

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
It would be best for your to post some photos of the nipple (good, clear macro-photo would work).

My guess is that this is just severe bruising.  Yes, a nipple can turn black and die after surgery if the blood supply has been affected, but usually this takes several days at least.  If the nipple was black immediately after surgery, it would seem that is is a bruise.  I could be wrong, but could better evaluate if you could post a photo.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline payberbred

• Posting Member

im on my 7th day post op as well and i have half of my right nipple/areola black, other half is fine.. im not sure if its a scab or something because i did not attempt to touch it.. there were some blacks on the left as well but not on the nipple itself but at the sutured area.. i'll have the suture removed by tomorrow by the surgeon's nurse (doctor is out of town). im worried that it's a dead tissue but hopeful that those are just bruises especially on the right areola.. anyway, is it possible that half of the nipple is dead and the other is not since only half of my nipple is black? i hope im not sounding silly..
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 12:35:39 PM by payberbred »

Offline dondante

• Gold Member
My nipples scabbed very badly after my surgery and I didn't even have areola incision... it's probably nothing, but definitely consult your doctor.

Offline chris

• Posting Member
payberbred, what did the nurse say?

Offline payberbred

• Posting Member
payberbred, what did the nurse say?

they are just scabs brother.. and it's starting to peel off as we speak.. ;)

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024