Author Topic: How long did it take your swelling to go down?  (Read 4394 times)

Offline bozo

• Posting Member
I had surgery, excision and very minor lipo (slim build) about 2 weeks ago, and life's almost back to normal.

My chest still has swelling, mostly in the center and on the left, but not to the point of deforming a natural contour.  If I wear a fitting t-shirt, no one would notice anything unusual.  I'm still wearing a wrap around compression garment and I'm reasonably happy with the results.

There's still a lot of discolouration from bruising and my whole chest (not the nipple or breast area).

I know everyone is different, but I'm just trying to figure out a normal range of when the swelling is likely to subside and I can really judge the overall surgery.

Offline Wood1989

• Posting Member
From what my surgeon and countless others have said..

5-6 months.

Roughly.

Offline bozo

• Posting Member
Wow, that's a lot longer than I thought.  I'm just 2 weeks post-op and I was a bit worried that I was slow to recover.
My bruising is going away well.  I've been drinking a lot of green tea (I'm based in China) on my doctors advice, and it seems to be helping.  I'd be quite happy to hit the swimming pool once the bruises disappear.

Offline artichokeheart

• Posting Member
Where/who is the doctor in China? I'm living in Shanghai, China and I've been scouring the boards and internet for a good surgeon over here without much luck. 

DrBermant

I had surgery, excision and very minor lipo (slim build) about 2 weeks ago, and life's almost back to normal.

My chest still has swelling, mostly in the center and on the left, but not to the point of deforming a natural contour.  If I wear a fitting t-shirt, no one would notice anything unusual.  I'm still wearing a wrap around compression garment and I'm reasonably happy with the results.

There's still a lot of discolouration from bruising and my whole chest (not the nipple or breast area).

I know everyone is different, but I'm just trying to figure out a normal range of when the swelling is likely to subside and I can really judge the overall surgery.

What you see on my website is typical for my patients. Swelling and Bruising resolve faster when there is less to start with. How much and long Swelling and Bruising After Gynecomastia Surgery lasts depends on the problem treated, what is done, skill of the surgeon, after surgery care, and many other factors best discussed with your surgeon.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline bozo

• Posting Member
also, the swelling was tight and almost hard at first, but now it feels very jelly-like.  Is that normal?

DrBermant

also, the swelling was tight and almost hard at first, but now it feels very jelly-like.  Is that normal?

That is a good question for your surgeon. I do not know of any normal chest tissue that I would describe that felt like jelly. Swollen tissue do tend to evolve.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia Surgery

Offline bozo

• Posting Member
Unfortunately I am not in my native country, and do not speak the same language as the surgeon.

Anyway, I went back to the doctor with my Chinese-speaking friend and he drained the swellings, and it seems mostly flat now.  I went back about 5 days after for a check up (and because the tape being used to hold the bandages down was irritating my skin) and he drained a little more.  Left to my own devices I wouldn't have even thought it needed further drainage.

It was painless and the stuff that came out was all dark blood.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024