Author Topic: How do you explain your lack of gyne after surgery?  (Read 2214 times)

Offline art

• Posting Member
First of all, I'd just like to say how great it is to have an online community such as this.  I've been lurking for about a year, and finally created an account tonight.  I'm 30 years old, and I've been suffering from gyne since the 7th grade.  Like many of you here, its something I have to think about everyday, from what clothing to wear to how I'm going to deal with a day at the beach. 

I've decided that I'm going to go through with surgery to get the condition corrected.  For years, I thought it could be fixed through exercise and weight loss.  I was heavier in junior high, and ended up losing a lot of weight in high school.  However, the gyne remained.  I won't even tell you how many bench presses I did to try and get rid of it...

I think the name calling has given me thicker skin than most, and I'm not as bothered by it as I was when I was  younger.  However, I decided on surgery because I'm tired of how it looks.  I want to be able to wear anything I want, and not have my wardrobe dictated by this condition.  My loved ones and close friends don't care about how it looks, but when I'm in situations where I'm with people I don't know and it involves the dreaded beach or a day on the boat, I get the rude comments from at least someone (I will forever hate the movie Fight Club for the dreaded "bitch t*ts" line... ugh)  I brush them off, but its difficult.

My question for guys who have gone through the surgery: how did you explain your lack of gyne afterward?  Mine is pretty noticeable, and I know people who I interact with on a regular basis will notice when the gyne is suddenly gone.  I don't really care to give an explanation to everyone about the procedure, its a private matter and I feel like they don't need to know about the details.  Do you just say you've lost a lot of weight, or that you've been going to the gym?  I'd be interested in hearing how others have dealt with friends or coworkers after the surgery.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Perhaps I am missing the point, but why would you feel impelled to explain about something that is not there?

My guess is that few people will notice and it would be rare for anyone to comment except to ask if you've lost weight etc.
Grandpa Dan

Offline art

• Posting Member
I don't feel compelled to explain to anyone, quite the opposite actually.  For example, I'm probably going to be going on a one week vacation to have the procedure done.  In my case, going from gyne to gyne-free in a week is going to be a pretty noticeable change in the way I look, and coworkers might ask questions (no one loses weight like that in a week).  Just wondering what others have done to deal with this situation, as I don't necessarily want to tell everyone about the surgery, the decisions leading up to it, etc.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
One of the best explanations was one I read here a couple of years back. It was a slightly twisted truth that went like this: "Had a growth removed, Fortunately nothing malignant. Thanks for your concern, but everything is OK."

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
I must add that I will never have the need to explain.

Surgery was not as effective years ago, Really good, safe, effective surgery has only been common for a bit over 20 years. By that time I was over 50 and had medical concerns that made me a poor candidate for elective surgery. As a result, I'll take my 46B's to my grave.

Offline Raider Fan

• Gold Member
Welcome to gyne.org, art.

I can't imagine anyone asking you about it, but if they do, I assume they would be pretty close to you and value you.  In which case, I would have no problem telling them the truth.  I've talked to all my friends and family about mine, even though they hadn't even noticed.  It's a common thing, especially in older men, so I have no problem being honest.  I'm light hearted about it, but open.  It's not going to change anyone's opinion about me at this stage of my life.  If I was younger, maybe it would.  In which case, if you don't feel comfortable telling them the truth, see below.

If it's someone you don't want to be completely honest with or someone you aren't that close to that's asking about it (which I think would be even less likely), you could just say something like, "Yeah, for some guys, the condition can just go away, and fortunately, mine finally did."  What are they going to do.....call you a liar?  I don't think so.

You wouldn't be lying, you just wouldn't be telling them the whole story, and they should be minding their own business anyway.  You don't owe anyone a detailed explanation, and they don't know what the real story is anyway.  So, basically, just tell them it "went away".  It did.  

Offline kaka

• Posting Member
  I tell my friends i  have a  benign cysts removed from both chest.

Offline theman

• Posting Member
Hey, i was also a bit worried about people noticing the sudden change. Someone replied to my topic with a good excuse that may work for yourself?

http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=21575.0
Post Op :D

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024