Author Topic: Expedite healing and reduce swelling post-op  (Read 2566 times)

Offline wantnewlife

• Silver Member
 are there any food supplements which can reduce swelling and expedite healing?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I frequently recommend arnica montana to help bruising and reduce swelling.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

22Twain

I frequently recommend arnica montana to help bruising and reduce swelling.

Dr Jacobs

I've noticed that many surgeons recommend homeopathic Arnica Montana 30X to help with bruising and swelling.  My surgeon, in fact, gave me a package with 10 doses with instructions that I begin taking them the night before surgery.

I must admit that I am perplexed as to why there is such a widespread belief that a homeopathic remedy is any better than a placebo.  Do you, Dr. Jacobs, personally believe that this remedy is actually effective, or is this simply one of those what-the-heck, a sugar pill can't hurt you, type of things?  Perhaps the placebo effect is good enough?

I have a feeling that this recommendation has become so widespread that surgeons are simply not interested in fighting the homeopathy-is-quackery debate and just go with the flow.

Comments?

PS:  I'm not interested in hearing testimonials from patients who had either good or bad results from taking this remedy.  But if you have links to reputable double-blind scientific studies on the efficacy of this medication, that would be interesting.  Look up homeopathy on wikipedia for an informative discussion on the subject.

Offline wantnewlife

• Silver Member
I am 7 days post-op. could you let me know the recommended dosage of Arnica Montana?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 02:31:18 PM by wantnewlife »

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024