Author Topic: Post Op and Bench PRess  (Read 7741 times)

Offline randomuser1

• Posting Member
hey guys i am about 2 weeks post op, a little swollen and scar tissue right now but.... im wondering

how long til i can do full on heavy strength/size  building bench press? i also did a lot of push ups before i had surgery, which i plan on continuing.

i know the doctors say 1 month post op then u can exercise, but they weren't specific..... they could've meant cardio or light-medium weight.

Offline tnel00son

• Silver Member
i would like to know the same.

Offline Bluish

• Posting Member
you can do bench press without wieght only for fitness after 1 month.
for body building you can start after 3 months.
that's what my doc said.

Offline tnel00son

• Silver Member
?!?! 3 MONTHS!@!?!?

im going to shrink so much!

Offline jones357

• Silver Member
I waited about 3 weeks before light cardio and probably 5-6 for weights.  I haven't lifted weights for years,  so it was pretty tough at first, but I actually think it helped with some of the puffyness.  I think a good test is how your chest feels when you walk around.  If your are at the stage when you are constantly conscience of the surgery area, I would hold of.  I waited until the sensation went away and the started training.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 04:30:41 AM by jones357 »

Offline usernameX

• Gold Member
lol 3 months? Tell that to an endomorph:P Dude after a week and a half I couldnt take the lazyness. So I started doing pushups. I found that my max had been drastically decreased. At boxing, we would do an average of 80 to 120 depending on the instructor. I was barely able to do 15 pushups. Youll notice your strength has decreased quite a bit, but it doesnt mean you cant do them at all.

If you cant take it anymore, wait 3 weeks. And only lift as much on the benchpress as your body weight. Nothing more. Same with pushups, dont start up with them rigorously untill about 3 weeks. Make sure with cardio your wearing some type of TIGHT compression vest. Any bouncing hurts like a bitch.
Had surgery with Dr. J.C. Fielding on August 2nd.

Offline lafilip

• Posting Member
Hey man,

Stick to the cardio for the first month then start light.  As much as you want to continue to lift and even if you feel fine you don't want to waste all of that money you spent.

Offline uk2000

• Why Meeee!!
u shudnt do exercise till at least 6 weeks post op, as u can run the risk of building up scar tissue.
yr chest is still vunerable and rebuilding itself during the first 6 weeks.  weights and cardio can put excess force on the rebuilding of the internal tissues, resulting in scar tissue formation.
just wait 6 weeks, u waited this long for surgery, relaxing a few weeks wont kill u.  just eat good untill then
July 04 - Gland removal + liposuction- Adriaan Grobbelaar. Results: Terrible
Feb 05 - Lipo Revision- Alex Karidis.
Nov 05 - Gland + Lipo- Alex Karidis.
Jun 06 - LHS gland + Lipo - Alex Karidis.

Offline jones357

• Silver Member
u shudnt do exercise till at least 6 weeks post op, as u can run the risk of building up scar tissue.
yr chest is still vunerable and rebuilding itself during the first 6 weeks.  weights and cardio can put excess force on the rebuilding of the internal tissues, resulting in scar tissue formation.
just wait 6 weeks, u waited this long for surgery, relaxing a few weeks wont kill u.  just eat good untill then

PLEASE ELABORATE. I have had a build up myself, but I didn't think i could rebuild anything but muscle.  What is the deal with what you are talking about?

Offline merle

• Gold Member
  • Author, Psychotherapist, Consultant
    • Merle James Yost, LMFT
Dr. Silverman who is both a gynecomastia Surgeon and body builder has very specific guildlines around weight training post surgery. I am not sure how to attach it to this message, but I will post on the site, his approach if anyone is interested.

Merle
Demystifying Gynecomastia: Men with Breasts
The first book on Gynecomastia

My newest book: Facing the Truth of Your Life is very relevant to members of this forum. It could save you a lot of unnecessary pain and time.

Book books are available on Amazon. FTTOYL is also available through your local bookstore or on Audible or iTunes.

Offline Mr_Nip

• Had expensive surgery... Now I'm flat busted!
Dr. Silverman who is both a gynecomastia Surgeon and body builder has very specific guildlines around weight training post surgery. I am not sure how to attach it to this message, but I will post on the site, his approach if anyone is interested.

Merle

Thanks, Merle...  I would like to see those guidelines because I want to start on a weight training program.  I was always too self-conscious to spend much time in gyms before, but now I'm excited about making the most of my new body.  8)
MR. NIP

I come from nowhere
And you should go there.
Just try it for a while.
The people from nowhere always smile.  -  Frank Zappa

Offline merle

• Gold Member
  • Author, Psychotherapist, Consultant
    • Merle James Yost, LMFT
http://www.gynecomastia.org/content/general/pwo.shtml

I have posted it on the site so that everyone can see them.

THanks to Dr. Silverman for letting me use his information. It will be a help to a lot of men.

Merle

Offline Mr_Nip

Merle,
I just noticed that the menu link to this workout info combines with the "contact us" link which leads to the "contact us" page.    I had to go back to this thread to link to it again.  Thought you may want to know.

Offline PeterBateman

• Gold Member
I can't find it...it just gives me the main page for this site

Offline Mr_Nip

Merle,
I just noticed that the menu link to this workout info combines with the "contact us" link which leads to the "contact us" page.    I had to go back to this thread to link to it again.  Thought you may want to know.

I'm not sure if you fixed it or if I was doing something wrong to begin with, but it's working for me now.  Thanks either way!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024