Author Topic: How long after surgery do I have to wait before working out?  (Read 4049 times)

Offline BoobsBgone525

• Posting Member
I am a body builder and do compete.....my doctor said no cardio no weight lifting at all for 4 weeks.....however ive been researching online and there are alot of doctors that say you can begin light lower body work outs on week 2......lite upper body workouts (except for chest) on week 3 and then after 4 weeks you can start light chest work outs.....does this sounds good? ive been working out on a competing level for years and im very muscular..just stating that to make a point that my body is used to working out so it wont be a shock to the body.....its been one week and one day since the surgery (no lipo..i had no fat just gland tissue) and im starting to go crazy....any insight would be great.....thank you

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
The regimen you have outlined is doable.  The reason we recommend minimal exercise after surgery is that it promotes more swelling (which slows healing).  Furthermore, when your blood pressure rises during exercise, you can open a blood vessel that was sealed during surgery and you can bleed under the skin -- a real no-no and a mess to deal with.  Please understand -- your body has already been stressed by surgery and the need to heal -- don't stress it unnecessarily.

I always tell my patients that a few weeks of "vacation" to allow proper healing is best.  Remember, you will have the rest of your life to catch up!

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline BoobsBgone525

• Posting Member
Thank you for your reply doctor. I got the surgery Nov. 4th. I will wait 2 full weeks before returning to the gym and doing light cardio/lower body...and even then just once or twice that week......after 3 three weeks ill start to do light upper body movements and after the 4th week i'll ease back into my old routine....hopefully this will minimize muscles loss and fat gain. I do not want to further complicate things by opening up a sealed blood vessel so if this doesn't sound like a good idea i won't push it. Thanks again.

Offline BoobsBgone525

• Posting Member
you just repeat what you read here and there at internet.  i guess a doctor like dr. jacobs knows more than (usually) anonymous webpages. anyway it is your body. you choose.

your first sentence made no sense. all the info i read was by other doctors.

Offline Dr Kapoor

• Bronze Member
    • Dr. Kapoor, Beverly Hills Cosmetic Surgeon
I usually tell all my patients about 3 weeks before they can resume some "light" exercise (which includes some light cardio, light weight lifting) and gradually work back into their normal routine over a week or two...remember, you'll probably be a little de-conditioned and weak at this time, so don't over do it. I also tell my patients that they will all usually swell with exercise until all the normal channels of drainage (the lymphatics, the veins) have re-established themselves.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024