Author Topic: Parents/Family/Friends....  (Read 39118 times)

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
To Parents/Family/Friends of Gynecomastic sufferers...

No matter what the severity is, from puffy areolas to full breasts, Gynecomastia is psychologically crippling and can even lead to suicidal tendencies. The sufferer finds it very difficult to lead a normal life, and most often, suffers in 'Silence' :'(.

Gynecomastia consumes you. Gynecomastia dictates what you wear, where you go and who you make friends with. To me, that sure sounds like incarceration!

If your son approaches you about Gynecomastia, don't just brush it off, try to be empathetic to the situation. If your child cannot rely on you; his Mom and/or Dad (or other family member) in his time of need, then who else can he turn to?

In closing, if you notice that your son wears several layers of shirts, refuses to go to the beach or anywhere that involves being shirtless, then instead of waiting for him to approach you or avoiding the situation all together, why not approach him about it. Tell your son that you are there for him and that he can count on your support. Gynecomastia can be a very lonely condition to live with. Provide the opportunity for your son to open up to you and make his loneliness a thing of the past.

Regards,

Grandpa Bambu...
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 09:54:34 PM by Grandpa Bambu »
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline dansmom

My son had his surgery done yesterday and he is thrilled. I was going to post in after I wrote this. My husband and I actually went to my son about his condition. He walked hunched over, didn't like to take his shirt off, was made fun of quite a bit in high school. He actually almost failed P.E. class because he would not change out his shirt. We were both very supportive of his decision and so were both of our families. If any parents are reading this, if your son comes to you about this, please be open minded. My son just turned 15 in July, and this is a new beginning for him.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 08:51:49 AM by Bambu »

Offline mumoft

• Posting Member
Congratulations! Now just be patient. My son is 5 weeks post op. It changes slowly, some days are swollen and some days look great.  My son has laid low, worn his compression garment, walked, and drank a lot of water at the suggestion of the surgeon.

Go Moms!!!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 08:52:16 AM by Bambu »

Offline jones357

• Silver Member
I am really glad to hear that your kids have your support.  My mom got offended when the doctors told her that I had a problem and asked if they wanted it fixed. Since she was so offended imediately tuned to me and said "it doesn't bother you, right" I was too embarassed to contradict her. We never talked to about it again, and I wsh that I would have just spoke up.  It would have changed so many events in my life. Thanks to you, your kids won't have much to look back on and regret.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 08:52:42 AM by Bambu »

Offline Give me Life

• Gold Member
Jones357:

How old are you? You lost the great opportunity in your life. But don't be sorry. If you are 19+ then you have a right to take your decision. Not sure where you are from. But if you are in Ontario - Canada, Gyne surgery won't cost that much. My doctor charges only $1500 and gives you student discount as well.

I think $1500 is nothing for your whole new life experience.

Go for it.
Surgery done on Sept 6th, 2006 with Dr. Fielding - Toronto. Not 100% cured but will get there for sure !!!
----------------------------------------------------

Revision done on December 7th, 2007. Let's hope for best !!!
-------------------------------------------

Dr. Fielding
Suite #401, 2425 Bloor Street West, Toronto

Tel: 416.766.88

Offline jc71

• Wilma, grab the lotion, we're going to the beach!
$1,500 is an awesome price. I paid $6,000 in the states.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

$1,500 is an awesome price.

That $1500 is just for Lipo (considered cosmetic). OHIP (Ontario Health Insurance Program) pays for Excision (if done) and all hospital costs. I belive the 'tolal' cost of surgery (Excision/Lipo/Hosp. fees) in Ontario is approx $4000.

I paid $1280 (incl tax) with Dr. Fielding.

John.

Offline jigupse

• Posting Member
To Parents of Gynecomastic sufferers...

No matter what the severity is, from puffy areolas to full breasts, Gynecomastia is psychologically crippling and can even lead to suicidal tendancies.

The sufferer finds it very difficult to lead a normal life, and most often suffers in 'Silence' :'(. Gynecomastia consumes you. Gynecomastia dictates what you wear, where you go and who you make friends with. Geeze, to me, that sure sounds like incarceration!

If your son approaches you about Gynecomastia, don't just brush it off, try to be empathetic of the situation. If your child cannot rely on you; his Mom and/or Dad, in his time of need, then who else can he turn to?

In closing, if you notice that your son wears sever layers of shirts, refuses to go to the beach or anywhere that involves being shirtless, then instead of waiting for him to approach you or avoiding the situation all together, why not approach him about it. Tell your son that you are there for him and that he can count on your support. Gynecomastia can be a very lonely condition to live with. Provide the opportunity for your son to open up to you and make his loneliness a thing of the past.   ;)

Grandpa Bambu...

yea, but how do i get my parents to read this?....any ideas? i feel too embarassed to speak bout it .

Offline Grandpa Bambu

To Parents of Gynecomastic sufferers...

No matter what the severity is, from puffy areolas to full breasts, Gynecomastia is psychologically crippling and can even lead to suicidal tendancies.

The sufferer finds it very difficult to lead a normal life, and most often suffers in 'Silence' :'(. Gynecomastia consumes you. Gynecomastia dictates what you wear, where you go and who you make friends with. Geeze, to me, that sure sounds like incarceration!

If your son approaches you about Gynecomastia, don't just brush it off, try to be empathetic of the situation. If your child cannot rely on you; his Mom and/or Dad, in his time of need, then who else can he turn to?

In closing, if you notice that your son wears sever layers of shirts, refuses to go to the beach or anywhere that involves being shirtless, then instead of waiting for him to approach you or avoiding the situation all together, why not approach him about it. Tell your son that you are there for him and that he can count on your support. Gynecomastia can be a very lonely condition to live with. Provide the opportunity for your son to open up to you and make his loneliness a thing of the past.   ;)

Grandpa Bambu...

yea, but how do i get my parents to read this?....any ideas? i feel too embarassed to speak bout it .

jigupse...

Bring it up on your monitor and ask your Mom and or Dad to read it. Don't explain what it its about, just get them to read it. It will break the ice.... hopefully.  ;)

GB

Offline jigupse

• Posting Member
thx...it worked :)...and it turns out i jus' have pseudo-gynec.the doc advised continuous chest exercises for 'bout 6 months bfore thinking 'bout surgery.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

thx...it worked :)

That's great! What was your parents reaction?

So... now that it's in the open and you are no longer suffering in silence, something can be done about it.

How old are you jigupse?

GB

Offline worriedwifeandmom

My husband is 41. We have been married for 7 years and I've known him for 11 years. He JUST brought up the subject yesterday for the 1st time because my daughter and I pressed him about why he doesnt swim with us on a hot day.  So I got online to read about it. Now I am wondering if he should get the surgery or if he should not bother. He's learned to live with it but he's not happy about it. I am also worried my son will develop it but I'll have to wait and see.  I told my husband I felt badly for him...if I had to wear a bikini I wouldn't swim since my tummy is huge (always has been) but I can wear a black 1 piece and hide.  IUs there a bathing suit (with shirt) that anyone has found? We were joking that he could tell people that he had a tatoo he needed to hide. Please advise.

Offline DM

Very nice post Grandpa Bambu wish my parents can read english and understand what im going thru.Im thinking about tellin them soon but i cant really speak my language very well and they cant understand english so im just hopin they dont think bah its nothing its a waste of money to get surgery because if they say that then i dont even know what im going to do.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

My husband is 41. Now I am wondering if he should get the surgery or if he should not bother. He's learned to live with it but he's not happy about it.

I developed gynecomastia at 10 years of age. Had it until I was 41. That's 31 years of having to 'learn to live with it' :-\. When I found out in Nov. 2004 what it was that I had, and that something could be done about it, there was no question in my mind what had to be done. Off with them! Had surgery Feb. 16, 2005. Now all the fears, anxieties and stress are a thing of the past. ;)

It must be killing your husband on the inside not be able to go swimming with his family. Gynecomastia really 'eats you up' inside. Show your husband this site. Let him know that his gynecomastia 'can be' corrected.

Is there a bathing suit (with shirt) that anyone has found? We were joking that he could tell people that he had a tatoo he needed to hide. Please advise.

There are special shirts called 'Compression Vests'. There are several different brands available. Compression vests 'look' much like regular shirts and are available in many different styles.

What country do you live?

GB

Offline Grandpa Bambu

To be honest, the gyne many 40-something guys have are just one more thing that makes them every day guys.

Dude, at 10, 15,20,30,40,50 years of age or more, it's all the same my man. Gynecomastia for most, is embarrassing at any age. The embarrassment that I felt at 15, was the same at 41... Does an 'every-day-guy' have someone approach him and have his m(o)(o)b grabbed while the groper says "Look at the jugs on this guy!" In front of 50+ co-workers no less...? Talk about embarrassment! I was the guy who got groped. I definitely did not 'feel' like an 'every-day-guy' that day....  :-\

Getting rid of it isn't going to turn him into a Chippendale (but it could seem like that psychologically to him).

GRS will not turn anyone into a 'Chippendale'... What it will do, is provide you with a manageable life. No stress, no anxieties, no fears etc... ( Gynecomastia related ;) )

GB

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024