Author Topic: Left side still bigger at 4 weeks  (Read 3689 times)

Offline 68chevy

• Posting Member
I had been dealing with gynecomastia since i was 15 and at 38 i decided to have the surgery. 
The plastic surgeon i chose was highly recommended and he did lipo only to remove the gland and fat. Two days post op i removed the bandage and was very impressed with the right side but the left was a bit bigger. When i went for my first and second post op check up the surgeon reassured me that the left side will end up looking like the right. 
I am now 4 weeks post op and it still seems that the left side is still bigger than the right. I really notice it when i sit down my right side looks good but the left droops some. 

Offline Dr. Cruise

• Supporting Doctors
  • Gold Member
  • Dr. Cruise
    • http://lagynecomastia.org/
Hi There, 
Thanks for posting and congratulations on taking the steps towards getting rid of your gynecomastia. Are you able to upload photos so we can take a look at what you are seeing? This would be very helpful. 
In the meantime, just a general comment about healing...It is not uncommon for the two sides to heal at different rates, which can cause noticeable asymmetry. It is true in most cases this resolves on it's own through the natural healing process. It can take longer than 4 weeks for this to happen especially if one side had more fluid build-up, etc... 
Again, if you can send photos, this would be helpful to better evaluate your particular concerns. 
Dr. Cruise
Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
2081 San Joaquin Hills Road
Newport Beach, CA 92660
949-644-4808
Before and After Pictures
Types of Gynecomastia

Offline 68chevy

• Posting Member
Thanks for your response. I am having trouble uploading my pics from my phone. I try to get them posted soon. Thanks again. 

Offline 68chevy

• Posting Member

Offline 68chevy

• Posting Member

Offline 68chevy

• Posting Member
Looking for an opinion on my swelling. 

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
At four weeks, you are still in the very active phase of healing.  Swelling can vary in every individual.

There is absolutely nothing that you or your surgeon can do at this time -- what has been done in surgery is done.  Now your body is healing and the best you can do to help yourself is to be diligent in wearing a snug compression garment.

You will have to wait about 4-6 months to begin to see the final results from surgery.  If, at that time, there is still a difference, then you may have to sit down with your surgeon to discuss options for care and/or treatment.

But for the moment, worrying about your chest will accomplish absolutely nothing except to give you a few gray hairs.

Relax and let your body heal!

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline 68chevy

• Posting Member
Thanks. I guess where i have been so self conscious all these years makes it hard to have patience in the healing process but i really do appreciate the reassurance. 

Offline Dr. Schuster

• Supporting Doctors
    • www.CosmeticSurgeryBaltimore.com
I agree with Dr. Jacobs. it's way too early to tell the final results. Continue to follow your surgeon's instructions and evaluate after 3-6 months.
Dr. Schuster
Chief, Division of Plastic Surgery Northwest Hospital
Private practice in Baltimore, Maryland
10807 Falls Road
Lutherville, Maryland 21093
410-902-9800
email: info@drschuster.com

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Looking at the photos, the amount of difference you have can be related to swelling and can resolve with time.   I tell my patients from the beginning that we won't discuss revision for nine months to a year in most cases, since the final result can take a while.  Be patient!
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline 68chevy

• Posting Member
Thanks for all the responses and sorry for the poor pics. This is a great website for all of us that have this issue. Wish i would have came across it earlier. Much help. 

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
Glandular tissue cannot be removed via liposuction. I do not know what your exact situation was prior to surgery but if there was a significant amount of glandular tissue I would expect it to still be present.The presence of residual tissue may initially be masked after liposuction because of swelling.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

Offline 68chevy

• Posting Member
Before the surgery i could feel a small amount of hard tissue under both nipples and now i no longer feel them. The right side i am overall satisfied with the flatness but the left side just seems to be puffier. I do have two cuts on both sides. One around the nipple and the other that is more visible in the pics at the lower part of my chest. The plastic surgeon told me he removed all the gland by lipo but now you have me concerned. 

Offline 68chevy

• Posting Member
Could anyone explain why the upper part of my left side seems to be much harder than the right. This is also where it is more swollen. 

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
If you had any bleeding after the surgery, that can contribute to prolonged swelling and increased hardness in the area (induration).  You didn't comment on any bleeding. 

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024