Author Topic: Compression Garment  (Read 5195 times)

Offline spursmania1

• Posting Member
Hi everyone i would just like to get everyones opinion on wearing the compression vest after surgery-

How important is it to wear the vest?

What does the compression vest actually do?

How long should one wear the vest for?

Offline manic91m9

• Gold Member
the compression vest works against swelling and prevents fluid buildup (because theres no room) my doctor made me wear one for 4 weeks day and night (other than showers) and 2 more weeks just at night. i have heard some doctors don't use them as they say it makes little difference to the overall result. i used mine religiously and feel that they are beneficial. anything you can do to get optimal results from surgery is worth doing imo.

Offline spursmania1

• Posting Member
Thanks for your input, i had my surgery and i woke up with the vest on, the surgeon took the vest off to spray some anti-infection stuff on my stitches, i saw my new chest for the first time and lets just say i still have boobs, my surgeon said wear the vest and it will compress them back into a flat chest. After he said that i was not too sure if hes being honest or just saying that because i had my surgery done in a different country.

Offline angel_allen

• Silver Member
just buy some girls running tops with built in sports bars these flatten your breasts & stop them bouncing about when you do energetic stuff.
then you can let them out for play! 8)

DrBermant

Hi everyone i would just like to get everyones opinion on wearing the compression vest after surgery-

How important is it to wear the vest?

What does the compression vest actually do?

How long should one wear the vest for?

I typically use a compression vest after gynecomastia surgery for many reasons explained on that link.  I use first stage compression, to protect tissues.  Second stage protection is for scars.  Surgical technique is a major factor in Gynecomastia Male Breast Reduction.  Scars that heal under pressure typically do better than scars without pressure.

I prefer to individualize the after surgery compression for each of my patients.   Such issues are better discussed with your doctor who is familiar with the specifics of what was done.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Chest Sculpture

Offline slyblackdragon

• Silver Member
I had my op on the 16th and awoke with mine on. I went back today and got a smaller size and it has dramatically reduced the swelling and fluid buildup already. It looks much better!

DrBermant

I had my op on the 16th and awoke with mine on. I went back today and got a smaller size and it has dramatically reduced the swelling and fluid buildup already. It looks much better!

I prefer to fit my patients' garments )both Stage I After Gynecomastia Surgery Compression Vest and the Stage II after Gynecomastia Surgery Compression Vest) before surgery and use techniques that feature minimal bruising and swelling.  My patients do not typically need to change vest size unless they are using the Stage II garment before surgery during weight loss for Body Shaping and they have lost a significant amount of weight.  Other patients that sometimes need to change vests are those Bodybuilders who have built so much muscle that the garment is now the wrong size but they are still in phase two compression during healing.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Chest Sculpture

Offline spursmania1

• Posting Member
Okay thanks, so the compression garment after surgery doesnt actually help shape and flatten your chest out it only reduces swelling and bruising?

Offline KryptoKnight

• Silver Member
  • surgery worth every penny
I've heard the latter.  Some people say that it helps with tightening, but it's more for swelling than anything else.

Offline merle

• Gold Member
  • Author, Psychotherapist, Consultant
    • Merle James Yost, LMFT
The vest is to help the skin re attach to the body.

As for men that want compression garments before or instead of surgery, the ones made by Underworks are wonderful. I also used them post surgery and I really liked them. Very tight, comfortable and could be wore like tee shirts just by themselves.

Merle
Demystifying Gynecomastia: Men with Breasts
The first book on Gynecomastia

My newest book: Facing the Truth of Your Life is very relevant to members of this forum. It could save you a lot of unnecessary pain and time.

Book books are available on Amazon. FTTOYL is also available through your local bookstore or on Audible or iTunes.

Offline walke2jd

• Posting Member
I just used ace bandages to apply light pressure to my chest and everything seems to be healing/looking great. I wore them day and night for 3 weeks. My chest had little to no swelling. Also, my surgeon tacked my skin down to the muscle to keep it from filling, so that may be the reason he didnt put me in a compression vest.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024