Author Topic: Questions about gynecomastia  (Read 4321 times)

Offline fadetodarkness

Hi,

I'm really sorry if I'm repeating anything that's been said here but I have some questions...

First of all, I'm wondering what treatment is like. I want to go ask my doctor about my gynecomastia but I'm a little nervous about "coming out" about it so I figured I'd just ask you guys.

Secondly, I read that there is some link between Klinefelter's syndrome and Gynecomastia... I think I just have the latter, but I don't really know. How will I find out?

Thirdly, I hear that if you get your nipples pierced (on a regular person without gyne) that they will "stay hard" or whatever. If someone with gynecomastia were to get theirs pierced, would it solve the problem?

Also, I need some reassurance that my doctor isn't going to tell me I'm stupid or make fun of me when I go to see him haha. I know it sounds stupid but I'm really nervous about going to see him about it.

Thanks in advance.

Offline J03L

• Bronze Member
Hi fadetodarkness, first of all, I'm not a Doctor, but i'll help you in what I can.

Quote from: fadetodarkness
First of all, I'm wondering what treatment is like. I want to go ask my doctor about my gynecomastia but I'm a little nervous about "coming out" about it so I figured I'd just ask you guys.

As far as I know, first of all, you have to go see your GP, so he can take a look at your gyne and refer you to an endo, so they'll run some blood tests to see if your gyne is caused by a hormonal disbalance. Don't be afraid of going to ask your doctor, gynecomastia is a common condition (40%-60% of the men, according to doctors facts), so don't worry, your doc won't make fun of you or anything. You shouldn't be afraid of "coming out" about gyne, you should be proud cause your starting to solve this issue. About the treatment, the only working treatment is surgery, but i think the Doctors here can tell you better than me about it. I'm planning to have the surgery done by December, but other members say is not that bad.

Secondly, I read that there is some link between Klinefelter's syndrome and Gynecomastia... I think I just have the latter, but I don't really know. How will I find out?

As I told you before, im not a doctor, but here in gynecomastia.org there's a part about Kinefelter's Syndrome and says:
Quote from: gynecomastia.org
WHAT IS S-CA?

It is a genetic disorder, which occurs at conception. It is only found in males and the chromosomes in the sex line has at least one extra "X". To date, it is unknown whether the extra X comes from the father or the mother or from both parents. In the medical community, it is more commonly known as 47,xxy, but there are many variants to this genetic structure, such as XXXY, XXXXY, XXYY, XX/XXY, XY/XXXY, XX/XXY, XY/XXY, XXY/XXXXY, XxY/Xx/XY, XXXYY, XXY/XX, XXY/XY, XXY/XYY, XXY/XXXY, XXX/XXXY, XXXXY/XXXXXY/XXX, XX(Y), XXXXYY/XXXXY/XXX, XO/XY/XXY, YO/XY,XXY, XO/XX/XY/XXY/XXXY, XY/XXY/XXxY, XY/XXY/XXXY, XX/XxY, XX/XY/XXY

WHAT ARE THE MOST COMMON SYMPTOMS?

Gynecomastia, an abnormal enlargement of one or both breasts in men; hard tiny testicles that never grow, infertility, incomplete masculine body build, height, (6 ft. or more), may not be particularly athletic or co-ordinated. The penis is usually of average length. There may be a decreased growth of facial and other body hair and the male will have long legs, longer than normal arms and can exhibit poor social skills and poor social adaptation.

Thirdly, I hear that if you get your nipples pierced (on a regular person without gyne) that they will "stay hard" or whatever. If someone with gynecomastia were to get theirs pierced, would it solve the problem?
I've never heard about this, so, maybe another member can say something about this.

Also, I need some reassurance that my doctor isn't going to tell me I'm stupid or make fun of me when I go to see him haha. I know it sounds stupid but I'm really nervous about going to see him about it.
Listen... NO DOCTOR WILL NEVER say something like that to you. It's just normal that you're nervous about going to see your doc about gyne, but is not like he's gonna call the entire hospital staff to make fun of you. Just Relax.

Thanks in advance.
You're welcome. :)

Offline fadetodarkness

Offline manic91m9

• Gold Member
i have heard people say nipple piercings improve the look of their gyne. i was considering it till i  noticed a friend who had one which has caused him to have a quite long swolen looking nipple (healed) this kind of scar tissue is common with this and other types of peircings. for this reason i decided against going there. its hard to tell if he just didn't keep it clean enough (to get infected at one point) but i dont think its worth the gamble for me.

Offline J03L

• Bronze Member

DrBermant

Hi,

I'm really sorry if I'm repeating anything that's been said here but I have some questions...

Thanks in advance.

Klinefelter Syndrome is a genetic chromosome problem (XXY or varients) has many possible symptoms, many occur without having Klinefelter Syndrome.

I have a major resource about Klinefelter's Syndrome Defined on my site.  There you can see pictures of patients with XXY and XXXY body fat patterns. 

Male with Klinefelter's Syndrome and Gynecomastia, pictures before and after surgery.

All men with Klinefelter's do not necessarily have gynecomastia.  Here is one such Klinefelter male without enlarged male breasts

Some men with Klinefelter's Syndrome and gynecomastia are happy with their breasts.

Testicle size is important in the diagnosis, but not the only factor.  I evaluate the testicles for each of my gynecomastia patients as part of my normal examination. Unfortunately, not all doctors do a good job in diagnosing Klinefelter's Syndrome and sometimes you need to get to someone who is aware of the problem.  I have presented for many years at national meetings about Klinefelter's Syndrome and there I recorded the stories of quite a few patients who were missed by years of doctors' examinations.

When I find a patient who may have undiagnosed Klinefelter's Syndrom, I ask them to be evaluated by a competent endocrinologise.  If you have concerns, bring them up to your doctor.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Chest Sculpture

Offline theblues

• Bronze Member
I seem to have quite a few of those symptoms, but not all. My body is pear shaped, I have a low sex drive, and quite small testicles. I also don't have a lot of hair on my arms and legs (although enough on my face and pubic hair), and I'm often without energy, (used to be) depressed, moderately antisocial, as well as not competitive, aggressive, etc. And, of course, I have gynecomastia. Is this reason enough to ask my doctor about it?  ???
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 06:19:52 PM by theblues »

Offline fadetodarkness

I seem to have quite a few of those symptoms, but not all. My body is pear shaped, I have a low sex drive, and quite small testicles. I also don't have a lot of hair on my arms and legs (although enough on my face and pubic hair), and I'm often without energy, (used to be) depressed, moderately antisocial, as well as not competitive, aggressive, etc. And, of course, I have gynecomastia. Is this reason enough to ask my doctor about it?  ???

I pretty much only have gynecomastia and I'm asking about it. What harm could it do?

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024