Author Topic: Exercise after Op  (Read 1838 times)

Offline Jacobi

• Posting Member
Hey guys, new member (first post) and going under the knife at some point for my gyno.

My first question I'll pose is concerning training; how long post-op should the patient refrain from physical activity?

I weight train, run, box (sparring included) and meditate (Qigong and other forms), so I imagine there'd be limitations on what I can do, but on what and for how long?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Offline McGilli

• Silver Member
Well, I won't give advice - but here's how it was for me.

I had the surgery a few times. Each time it was 4 weeks before I started lifting weights again. I started with low weights. At this point - there was still a stretching feeling when trying to lift arms up above shoulders. After 1-2 weeks of light weights I could lift full heavy weights again - and perform shoulder press without any weird feelings.

Also around the 5-6 week mark I was able to trampoline. I could not do that, or jog, any sooner as the up/down motion on my chest was uncomfortable.

Yoga/stretching also 4 weeks minimum.

Of course all people are different. But I wasn't comfortable doing anything too strenuous while there was still that healing/stretching feeling in my chest.

Good luck!

O BTW. With regards to contact. Around the same 5/6 weeks - hard contact with my chest  -especially the nipples really, really hurt. Mine was always accidental - like trying to rip a package open and then my hand flies back and whacked my chest. Really hurt.

SO I can't comment on boxing - but I am going to guess it would be longer as anything like that could cause swelling....

Offline goodbyegyno

• Posting Member
I'm not 8 days post op and I'm desperate to get back in the gym...but I'm going to leave it 6 weeks before I go back in for weights. I'm going to do light steady state cardio like uphill walks, cycling, stair master, to keep the body fat down. At the 6 week point ill start doing some light compound movements - squats and deadlifts - and some very light arms and shoulders. I really want to get back in the gym but I don't want to risk extending the recovery period. Listen to your body - it will tell you when you're ready...but don't exercise too early and risk putting your recovery back another month or so.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024