Author Topic: How can schools help students with gynecomastia?  (Read 2131 times)

Offline gotgyne

Interesting you bring this particular issue gotgyne. I know of a case within the last 5 years where a boy just entering puberty developed a case of servere gynecomastia, was teased and bullied at school. His mother offered him the opportunity to wear a bra if he wanted to and he chose to. And last I heard had adapted to wearing a bra full time. Then COVID hit so I don't know what the situation is now.
I think that the boy made a good choice. But there are many cases of severe gynecomastia in adolescents and all of them must choose what they like. For example I remember an article of three boys from the Dominican Republik. All of them had gyne. The 18 year old had breasts for which every women would envy him, the 14 year old too and the youngest brother of 9 years had more than puffy nipples. But all of them were glad that they were offered surgery. Nobody of them wanted to live with the breasts. If you type into a search engine the words semantic scholar severe gynecomastia you'll find more examples. The same here. Surgery was the chosen method. So there is no "one size fits all". I'm honest, I can't tell you what I'd have done at at age 13 in case of such a severe gyne. What if the mother recommends her son to wear a bra and the father opts for surgery?

John
A bra is just an article of clothing for people with breasts.

Busted (and happy)

Hi gotgyne
As 76yo I would not presume to suggest what might improve things in schools today.
The only point I would comment all the boys were "pleased to be offered surgery". This is a comment about a specific small group within a specific cultural context. I understand their pleasure at the offer. However how did they feel/fare after surgery (if they had it). Did they think differently if they had complications? Will they think differently when and if the gyno recurs?
At the end we all are on our own making the surgery or acceptance decision and no stories from others are relevant. 
As you say, no one size fits all

Offline 42CSurprise!

From 42c's réponse to me:

...Kids here in California can be given - on school time, without parental consent - abortions, gender transitioning hormones (puberty blockers, etc.) and can have their schools refer to them by whatever names / pronouns the kids choose.
You seem a bit disturbed about the effort in California to prohibit discrimination against school children who are uncomfortable with their gender.  For anyone interested in what the law provides I offer this overview from the California Department of Education.

https://www.cde.ca.gov/re/di/eo/legaladvisory.asp

You will note there is nothing about abortion or hormones.  I've no idea where you came to those ideas, but I know there were a great many parents disturbed that California passed this law in 2019.  We know that who visits what bathroom is a subject that stirs a great deal of rage at the moment.  In this context, something as simple as boys with breasts is not easily addressed.  And as I note above, the suicide rate among teens is high.  I hope that California's efforts to reduce discrimination over gender related issues helps but these are thorny matters for kids trying to find their way in the world.  They won't help a great deal when the family is resistant to change.  Acceptance is not easy when faced with harsh judgment.

Offline Moobzie

• Silver Member
42:
I suggest you don't try to do blog analyses of others' posts - nothing in what I posted referenced ANY personal reaction I have or don't have, but was simply stating how things are in this state, and - apparently - in others.
The point being made was only that, unlike what many here experienced in school from teachers / staff, the current legal and social climate proactively defends students' personal choices in any areas of gender expression.

Offline blad

Surgery is likely not a good option until closer to age 20. As such, offering a bra during puberty may be more realistic. By age 20 they are better equipped to decide between continuing to wear a bra or consider surgery. They may find by then that they are perfectly content to continue to wear a bra.

Wearing a bra definitely changed my perspective. 
« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 02:27:38 AM by blad »
If the bra fits, wear it.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024