Author Topic: New Member: Seeking Advice  (Read 3367 times)

Offline Rogue420

Hello All,

I recently came onto this site when finally I could no longer ignore what I knew was true.  I believe I started to develop "man boobs" around the age of 13-14, 8th grade basically.  I was 5'10 (huge growth spurt in 1 summer) 180 lbs around that time.  I know that doesn't sound fat or overweight but I never did any physical exercise and I was still growing so at that time it was all fat.  By the time I was 16 I contributed my large chest to just general fat or genetics, so I went crazy in diet and exercise and by 17-18 years old I was 6'0, 165 lbs, I didn't measure but I would say 10-12% BF at the most.  I didn't have any more problems with my chest in the sense that it looked normal to me, it was a little larger than reg. I guess but I attributed that to working so hard on my chest and cutting fat and running and exercising that it was mostly muscle.  Plus, it really didn't seem any different, I basically never had a shirt on during those times for I had a 6-pack whole nine etc. and nobody ever commented on it during. By the time I went to college I increased in weight tremendously, from 165 lbs I gained up to 240 (90% fat gain, stopped working out or eating right etc.), dropped to 180 and back up to 220 in a matter of 3-4 years.  I attribute that to drinking, experimenting with street drugs, having girlfriends, living as a poor college student, not eating right and in and out of the gym for 3-6 months inconsistently.  Currently I'm 26 years old, I'm 195 lbs at around 18% bodyfat.  I was recently 220 but dropped down after going on a diet and exercise regime.  I am going to continue to work out almost religiously and diet religiously because I'm fed up with my "man boobs" and hoping I'll reach the same result when I was 17 that if I cut down enough fat it'll look normal.  I don't really have puffy nipples, I would say slightly puffy when soft but normally my nipples are erect or hard and at that point is not really noticeable, not even to me.  I do however have the blubber of fat or breast tissue below my chest running back towards my armpit.  My question is this, do I go to a normal doctor about this problem? Or should I go straight to a Plastic Surgeon / Cosmetic Surgeon doctor to diagnose what I believe is "Man Boobs".  I want to know the cause of it and not just have it removed.  I've heard of multiple cases where people have the surgery and they come back because the root cuase wasn't diagnosed, just the solution.  Therefore please let me know any advice you have to offer.  I will post pics today after I get off work to show you what I mean and hopefully you can rate my man boobs at that time.  Thank you and any advice you give is greatly appreciated.  I've been dealing with this for over 12 years now.

Offline flex1appeal

Go see an endocrinologist and have your hormones checked. That would be step one. Without seeing pictures first it would be hard for me to say what I think you should do other than that.

flex

Offline Bolognianips

• Silver Member
That is damn near my story exactly :).

Here is something I was thinking about, and your experiance just gave it a little more validity.

When I went through puberty, it was extremely rapid.  Most guys had cracking voices for a year or so etc, and took a little bit to gain hight.  In my case, one year I was average hight at school, the next year (after 3 months of summer) I was the tallest kid in class, and really haven't changed at all since, while everyone else sort of slowly caught up.

I wonder if the formation of gyne is related to how rapidly you go through puberty (like mine was just one quick hormone release, as other was a more gradual change in hormones)

any thoughts?

Offline normexcept

• Bronze Member
Response to flex1appeal,
I was dong some research on the endocrine system as many of those who post here have referenced it in relation to the gynecomastia condition.  From what I read, it all depends on the person's own system.  Some of the endocrine system hormones when in the hypo (less than normal) state seem to allow the condition but others while in the hyper (more than normal) state seem to cause the condition.  That said, you probably shouldn't discount that it could have been the spurt of hormones but the only person that can tell you for sure is your endocrinologist after doing the proper tests.

Offline Mr_Nip

• Had expensive surgery... Now I'm flat busted!
Hello All,

...My question is this, do I go to a normal doctor about this problem? Or should I go straight to a Plastic Surgeon / Cosmetic Surgeon doctor to diagnose what I believe is "Man Boobs".  I want to know the cause of it and not just have it removed.  I've heard of multiple cases where people have the surgery and they come back because the root cuase wasn't diagnosed, just the solution. ... I've been dealing with this for over 12 years now.

Honestly, I think that at your age of 26 and as long as you've had the condition with what sounds like no growth for quite some time, I don't think you'd be risking anything by going straight to the PS.   That's the only thing that's likely going to take care of your problem.  Make sure to see a PS who's very experienced in gynecomastia. 

But...

If you had said you were experiencing strange sensations or pain in the breast area, or if you were in your teens and had only had gyne for a year, then I would say to see the endocrynologist first.   Also see an endocrynologist if you think you'll be worried about it for years after your surgery if you don't.  Your peace of mind could be worth an endo visit in that case. 
MR. NIP

I come from nowhere
And you should go there.
Just try it for a while.
The people from nowhere always smile.  -  Frank Zappa

Offline flex1appeal

Response to flex1appeal,
I was dong some research on the endocrine system as many of those who post here have referenced it in relation to the gynecomastia condition.  From what I read, it all depends on the person's own system.  Some of the endocrine system hormones when in the hypo (less than normal) state seem to allow the condition but others while in the hyper (more than normal) state seem to cause the condition.  That said, you probably shouldn't discount that it could have been the spurt of hormones but the only person that can tell you for sure is your endocrinologist after doing the proper tests.

Either way, whether it is HYPO or HYPER, there is an off balance. It needs to be fixed. That is why I say go seek advice from and Endo and not from me. I am no expert. I know a lot but do not profess to be an expert.

flex

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024