Author Topic: 2 Questions for Dr. Bermant  (Read 4503 times)

keperkey

What is the ideal body fat percentage for gyno surgery?  I would like to cut fat on my own as much as possible before visiting you to see how much of my gyno is real and how much is pseudo (sp?).  Is there an ideal BF%?

Does the benefit of an in person intial consult outweigh the time, hassle, and cost of traveling to Richmond twice?  How strongly do you prefer to do the initial visit in person.  While traveling for the consult is not out of the question, it is an inconvenience so I would like to hear your thoughts.

Thanks and I look forward to visiting with you in about 9 months.

DrBermant

What is the ideal body fat percentage for gyno surgery?  I would like to cut fat on my own as much as possible before visiting you to see how much of my gyno is real and how much is pseudo (sp?).  Is there an ideal BF%?

Getting to a weight you like before surgery is typically better than trying weight loss after.  Men tend to put fat first on the belly, love handles, and chest.  We tend to take the weight off last in those areas. 

There is no one Body Fat percentage for everyone.  Each has what they are most comfortable with.  Obese, fat, and overweight men tend to have breasts.  Plastic Surgery is not an alternative to losing weight.

I approach this surgery as an artist: a good sculptor picks up the coarse tool first then the refinement tool.  Losing weight is a coarse tool, you cannot pick where the fat comes from or goes onto.  Plastic surgery is better used as a refinement.  Actually it is body fat that is the main concern. 

Perform the surgery when fat, lose the weight, you are gambling.  If your a normal male and do not lose the fat on the chest, it may look like your gynecomastia has returned.  On the other hand, you do not want to lose more than you are comfortable with, have the surgery, and put the fat back on.

I treat many Competition Body Builders, Olympians, and Professional Athletes.  At extremely low body fat, I prefer my patients to be in their off season fat, so I can target the gland first and then have a little fat as a resource to sculpt the chest.

I have examples of many different types of body fat on my website on purpose.  Each patient had the same discussion about getting to a weight they were comfortable with before surgery.  Some have gone on to lose more fat or put on more weight after the operation.  Some get away with the fat gamble, others do not.

Other options include taking off so much fat that there is nothing left between the skin and the muscle.  This crater deformity looks weird and unnatural - especially on muscle movement. For these patients, losing more general fat can make the difference between the surrounding areas and the crater deformity less visible.  On animation it still looks terrible.  When a crater deformity patient puts on more fat, the craters become deeper with a bigger step-off.

Does the benefit of an in person intial consult outweigh the time, hassle, and cost of traveling to Richmond twice?  How strongly do you prefer to do the initial visit in person.  While traveling for the consult is not out of the question, it is an inconvenience so I would like to hear your thoughts.

Thanks and I look forward to visiting with you in about 9 months.

An actual in person examination has distinct advantages to reviewing pictures.  I see many patients from around the world who like minimizing their travel with our Preliminary Remote Discussion.  Some patients prefer to meet me face to face before they schedule surgery.  Although  I have refined the process of picture evaluation, some patients have problems that do not demonstrate weill on pictures and the in office evaluation is necessary.

We look forward to helping you explore your concerns.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Chest Sculpture

keperkey

So what is the next step to explore the optimum weight issue and the in person initial consultation issue?

Contact Jane?

Thanks

DrBermant

So what is the next step to explore the optimum weight issue and the in person initial consultation issue?

Contact Jane?

Thanks

Jane is my office manager.  She can normally be reached at our office by phone Monday - Friday 9-5 Eastern Time at (804) 748-7737.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Chest Sculpture

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024