Author Topic: Alloderm-fill in crater from cadaver?  (Read 11521 times)

Offline rich19007

• Posting Member
I went to my PS today to discuss revision surgery because I have craters from the surgery, especially on the left side.  The doctor mentioned filling it with alloderm? (I think that is what he said).  He basically said they take something from a cadaver and do something to it, and then fill in the crater.  Has anybody heard of this procedure?  I am not sure if I want to go through all of this aggravation again.  The surgery was a lot more involved and painful than I thought it would be.  I had it done in January and am still not 100%.  He said to make another appointment for August and we can discuss it further.  He said the material becomes a part of your own body very nicely.  Can anybody elborate?

Offline citizen_kane

• Posting Member
How did it go? I have the same problem with my left pec.

DrBermant

I went to my PS today to discuss revision surgery because I have craters from the surgery, especially on the left side.  The doctor mentioned filling it with alloderm? (I think that is what he said).  He basically said they take something from a cadaver and do something to it, and then fill in the crater.  Has anybody heard of this procedure?  I am not sure if I want to go through all of this aggravation again.  The surgery was a lot more involved and painful than I thought it would be.  I had it done in January and am still not 100%.  He said to make another appointment for August and we can discuss it further.  He said the material becomes a part of your own body very nicely.  Can anybody elborate?

Dermal fillers and framework structures work fine for defects of the dermis (tissue just under the outer skin layer).  When healed, it can look and feel like dermis, not fat.  Most crater defects after gynecomastia surgery are deformities in the fat layer. Trying to fix a defect in the fat layer with dermis can result in a scar that looks good in a still picture, but typically does not look good in motion or animation. 

I prefer my Fat Flap Sculpture for crater defects.  Replacing fat with fat tends to leave tissue looking more natural both at rest and in animiation. 

However, each surgeon has his / her own technique.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Chest Sculpture

Offline patientx1

• Bronze Member
I had a liquid called bio-alchemid injected here in the uk and it worked to some degree. I'm considering having another injection to areas that are still cratered. Hope this of some help.
Scar revision & Bio-Alcamid injects by Ruth Waters '04

Revision lipo surgery Poland / Baranski 1st Mar '07

Rev. lipo London / Karidis end of July '08

Rev. laserlipo England / Gabriel Feb '09

More photos to follow

DrBermant

I had a liquid called bio-alchemid injected here in the uk and it worked to some degree. I'm considering having another injection to areas that are still cratered. Hope this of some help.

Posting Standard Before / After Gynecomastia Pictures can help others understand the original problem and the effectiveness of the treatment.  I have just never seen any dermal fillers that can act like fat, they are dermal scaffolding and act like dermis and move like dermis.  However, fillers can look good for a still photo.  In my opinion, the normal male chest should look good both in animation and at rest.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Revision Gynecomastia and Chest Sculpture

Offline MSJ108

Everying I have read points to going with fat injections to fix cratering.

Offline sabercut

• Posting Member
Here is a link that I found on one of the doctor's website (Dr. Sam Gershenbaum)

http://aventuracosmeticsurgery.com/index.cfm/Action/Gallery/GalleryID/7821/PageID/2257/ProcedureNameID/81

I also think Dr. Bermant might be right about replacing fat with fat.
I have crater deformities and need to get help myself.

Offline patientx1

• Bronze Member
Do you know of someone that's good at doing it in the UK?

One surgeon here in UK said they would do it by taking fat from another part of my body, probably my stomach but I dont want to mess with any other part of my body?

Do you know of any good alternatives / surgeons?

Offline sabercut

• Posting Member
Hi PatientX1,

I can feel your pain. I am not from UK so I really cant tell you.

But, I do hope some other members here speak up about getting alloderm or fat graft. Espescially how it feels and moves.

Unfortunately none of the members seem to have said about both. So either they are happy about what they did and didnt care to come back  or that they are more frustrated. I wish some1 could really speak up. Since there are many ppl here who have been affected, I was hoping atleast 1 person to speak.

I have posted my pictures. Do you have your pictures posted. Do that. Atleast somebody will suggest something. Make sure that your pictures of good quality. also use the standard pictures which Dr. Bermant recommends.

Also dont forget to share you experiences if you have either of them. We are all waiting and in the same pain as you are.

Let me know if you need anything.

take care buddy.

Offline sabercut

• Posting Member
I forgot to mention PatientX1. Alloderm is skin donated from a dead human body and used as dermal filler.

Again I am no expert or a doctor but I think there are chances that your body might reject it. Also there is a chance of disease.

Makers of alloderm claim otherwise, though. I am not how long will it survive. I am in my twenties, would I need to redo my procedure post some years. I am seeking answers for many such questions.

Makers of Radiesse claim that their injection lasts for only a year or so which means $1200 every year. I too am at lands end.

DrBermant

Do you know of someone that's good at doing it in the UK?

One surgeon here in UK said they would do it by taking fat from another part of my body, probably my stomach but I dont want to mess with any other part of my body?

Do you know of any good alternatives / surgeons?

I see many patients from the UK and around the world who prefer my techniques.  You can find some of Experiences of UK patients with Gynecomastia on that page and subsequent links.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Revision Gynecomastia and Chest Surgery

DrBermant

Dr Bermant - I have read various techniques and the pros and cons (most of which are the fillers / transfers not looking too natural either at rest or animation) and I would say that most if not all carry risk, possibly some more than others. Now, are you telling me, and I do mean to ask you this with the utmost respect, that a technique such as your fat flap technique can actually work?

How can one realistically cut a fold of fat from under the skin and lay in over a part that is indented? Surgeons here are having enough trouble just simply injecting fluids straight to the problem part, let alone cutting then overlaying. This is of course unless I have been confused somewhere down the line with your exact technique, but if not, I fail to see how a technique like this could ever work, otherwise I would gladly take a little trip across to you and try it out.

I will try and post some pics ( anyone know of good host site that doesn't change after a year???), but I have had some success with bio alcamid, i feel, but just need more to fill in the parts that haven't been injected. Apparently once injected the liquid forms collagen around it and so the makers CLAIM that the liquid can easily be taken out if the patient is not happy at any time. This is what I'm banking on if things dont pan out later. But for now this is the route I am definitely erring towards. For me, the bio-alcamid feels fairly natural, if not 100% natural and has lasted over 4 years without problem or irritation, that seems to move with animation.

I personally cant think of an advantage of having alloderm over bio alcamid and just on the sound of it - skin from another person - doesn't sound to hot, but that's just my opinion which could be medically or statically proven incorrect.

The other liquid/s the other reader mentioned are radiese (spelling?) and Restylene (?), but these are apparently temporary whereas bio alcamid is apparently permanent - well i'm not looking for a temp solution, so that's that sorted...

Any thoughts / feedback welcome

The fat comes from nearby surrounding fat, when there are exisiting resources.  You can see the fat being pulled together in these graphic pictures during revision gynecomastia surgery here.  I evolved this technique years ago and have used it for many, many patients over many years.  There are many examples of before and after surgery pictures using my Fat Flap Technique on my webiste.  I use it to permit me target gland first and remove a very large gland.  I use it to target firm scar for my revision gynecomastia surgery.  I use it during my Short Scar Male Mastopexy Chest Lift and my Skin Reduction Chest Lift sculpture.

Expecting fillers or fat grafts that become firm like dermis or scar tissue to act like fat just does not make sense.  I have seen so many failures with patients from other surgeons' attempts over the years.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024