Author Topic: CSI Episode Features Gynecomastia  (Read 22605 times)

DrBermant

Last night CSI featured an episode where the victim had gynecomastia.  The Case of the Cross Dressing Carp had one of the featured individuals who killed himself because he could not deal with his gynecomastia deformity.  There is some transsexual issues that are less clearly addressed.

Although they did not call me to work on this particular episode, I have helped on a number of other behind the scene details with CSI script researchers over the years.  In 2005, while working with them on another issue I suggested:

Gynecomastia Male Breast Deformity
http://www.plasticsurgery4u.com/procedure_folder/male_breast/index.html

which involve body features and surgical sculpture that could be part of the identification process and give nice lines demonstrating medical expertise of the Pathologist or the CSI investigator during their evaluation.  I could provide further details if interested.

They then took it from there and used details about the gynecomastia that did not feature the corrective options available today with endocrinology and surgery.  They did feature leaked pharmaceuticals as the environmental cause of this gynecomastia and the stress the individual was going through in dealing with the male breast growth.

Suicide was not the best answer.  Finding the cause, stabilizing the problem, dealing with the stress of the deformity during investigation and stabilization such as non surgical body shaping for male chest deformity and possible psychological therapy, networking with other gynecomastia sufferers, endocrine treatment, and surgery are all better options.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Chest Sculpture
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 10:34:00 AM by DrBermant »

Offline merle

• Gold Member
  • Author, Psychotherapist, Consultant
    • Merle James Yost, LMFT
I have not seen the episode yet, I will check my TEVO, but I am delighted that this subject is being talked about. This issue is so often hidden. The guys that are most impacted by this emotionally often go deep into hiding and no one knows who they are or what is happening.

For many suicidal thoughts are pretty common and I am sure that is has happened more than anyone can know.

There is so much that can be done now and suicide is a permeant solution that takes away everything good or possibly good forever.

Find a therapists to talk to and if the first one does not work out, try another. This is one pain that can go away.

Merle
Demystifying Gynecomastia: Men with Breasts
The first book on Gynecomastia

My newest book: Facing the Truth of Your Life is very relevant to members of this forum. It could save you a lot of unnecessary pain and time.

Book books are available on Amazon. FTTOYL is also available through your local bookstore or on Audible or iTunes.

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
didn't get to see more than a few minutes of it, and if it was a rebroadcast, didn't see it pop up in a search.  part of episode yesterday, 10-19-07, involved a guy with gyne, who was apparently the victim, involved getting embarrassed when his tshirt got wet swinging into a lake at night.  in addition to calling it by name somebody also referred to it as chesticles, which i thought was an amusing bit of dark humor  :D  maybe somebody else saw how the whole plot went, didn't have time. 
* a man is more than a body will ever tell
* if it screws up your life the same, is there really any such thing as "mild" gyne?

Offline GTM

• Posting Member
I saw the episode too. I couldnt believe that they were talking about it. The poor kid killed hung himself after being made fun of. It really hit home. I cannot wait for Nov 7th and this hell to be over.
There finally gone!

Offline Gator321

I'm happy its being discussed, even the way it was shown at least any parents/family that saw the episode can understand how serious this can be to the sufferers and hopefully help them get treatment. Hey GTM i'm also scheduled for the 7th-- chesticles no more!

DrBermant

Last night CSI featured an episode where the victim had gynecomastia.  The Case of the Cross Dressing Carp had one of the featured individuals who killed himself because he could not deal with his gynecomastia deformity.  There is some transsexual issues that are less clearly addressed.

Although they did not call me to work on this particular episode, I have helped on a number of other behind the scene details with CSI script researchers over the years.  In 2005, while working with them on another issue I suggested:

which involve body features and surgical sculpture that could be part of the identification process and give nice lines demonstrating medical expertise of the Pathologist or the CSI investigator during their evaluation.  I could provide further details if interested.

They then took it from there and used details about the gynecomastia that did not feature the corrective options available today with endocrinology and surgery.  They did feature leaked pharmaceuticals as the environmental cause of this gynecomastia and the stress the individual was going through in dealing with the male breast growth.

Suicide was not the best answer.  Finding the cause, stabilizing the problem, dealing with the stress of the deformity during investigation and stabilization such as non surgical body shaping for male chest deformity and possible psychological therapy, networking with other gynecomastia sufferers, endocrine treatment, and surgery are all better options.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD

The gynecomastia CSI TV episode is now available as an iTunes store purchase

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewTVSeason?i=266794994&id=264351617&s=143441

You will need iTunes to view the free 30 second clip or purchase the episode.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD

Offline Fat-Elvis

• Bronze Member
I'm sure there any many other cosmetic reasons some men kill themselves.  Baldness (especially at a younger age) is probably one.  At least with gynecomastia all you have to do is plunk down a few grand and it's gone.

Offline theblues

• Bronze Member
If you are bald AND have gyne, then your nerves have to be made of steel. I have gyne, and I'm slowly becoming bald. I have to get rid of it before I lose my hair.  ;D

Offline fiXXXer

• Bronze Member
If you are bald AND have gyne, then your nerves have to be made of steel. I have gyne, and I'm slowly becoming bald. I have to get rid of it before I lose my hair.  ;D

Ah hah, I hear you.  I'm half bald now and I have gynecomastia and I am only 21 years old!
Just like you said, I need to get it rid of it before I'm completely bald.
Also working on getting my body in much better shape, to make up for the lack of hair.
Facing what consumes you is the only way to be free!

DrBermant

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD

This CSI episode with gynecomastia is again on this Thursday night according to the guide.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD

Offline mmaman

• Silver Member
I've never seen the show but the comment by c17361736 is probably the stupidest thing i've ever heard. 

Offline koyo

• Posting Member
I saw this episode and was taken back to a very bad time in my life. I was in the high school boys gym showers ( many many years ago) and was suddenly grabbed from behind and my nipples given a very hard and painful ( lead to bleeding) twisting and then tossed into the girls shower area down the hall and told this is where I should have gone. Not only this, I am so near sighted that I could not even see clearly what was happening - they also smashed my glasses. This basically shut down my social life in high school.

People have a very hard time understanding the damage (emotional and physical) they can cause others (especially when they are young) when these kinds of things are done. It could lead to the suicide of a person (like this teenager).

I think that CSI does bring 'sensitive' issues to to front and also subcultures (like the Furries episode) to make people more aware of the brutality that can happen just because people are different. I know I was different in high school and still am today (35+ years later). But, imagine how boring and bland human life would be if we were all the same and even worse clones! But then imagine what it would be like if 97% of males had gynecomastia and it was not even thought about as something different.  How would we treat the guys that did not have it? I wonder.  ??? ??? ???

Koyo

Offline theman234

• Posting Member
whoah! that story is awful. nobody should ever ever be treated like that. thats cruel and hateful. if i were you, i would've probably kicked their ass or something. but violence doesnt solve anything i know. but it sure would have taught them a lesson to not pick on others.
Surgery Date: July 7, 2009!

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
I saw this episode and was taken back to a very bad time in my life. I was in the high school boys gym showers ( many many years ago) and was suddenly grabbed from behind and my nipples given a very hard and painful ( lead to bleeding) twisting and then tossed into the girls shower area down the hall and told this is where I should have gone. Not only this, I am so near sighted that I could not even see clearly what was happening - they also smashed my glasses. This basically shut down my social life in high school.

Sorry to hear that happened to you dude...  Kids can be so cruel...  :-\

GB...
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
read my signature.
a dry but still kind of interesting read.  the in passing thing about psychotherapy as potentially curing a homosexuality was kind of funny, but the psychological effects of gyne are not psychosomatic, they're real.  it definitely reads and feels like it was published in '61, parts of it are ahead of its time and other parts are deeply rooted in it.  it's too bad it didn't advance medical awareness of the problem more. 

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024