Author Topic: 2nd hand smoking before surgery??  (Read 3135 times)

Offline helloHELLO

• Silver Member
i'm geting my surgery on tuesday and on the manual for what tod pre and post op it said no smoking, nicotine, or second hand smoking for 2 weeks prior t surgery. last night i was definitely 2nd hand smoking because i was in a car with smokers and a party with smokers.  i didnt smoke anythin and i'm not a smoker. would this affect my results or i should be ok??

Offline d.i.p.

• Posting Member
You should be fine. It usually takes only 4 to 5 days for nicotine to completely leave your system. If it was marijuana smoke, it may take longer. I would suggest you drink a lot of water (1 gallon per day) prior to surgery just to cleanse your body. But like I said, I would not be worried. If your surgery was in a couple days after the party, you should of made a better judgement of not hanging around all the smokers. But I would not be worried. Just drink a gallon of water a day and you will be fine. 

Offline helloHELLO

• Silver Member
thanks. i drink a gallon a day so i guess i should be good.

i was reading the manual today and it said no smokin or taking nicotine patches for 2 weeks. and then to stay away from second hand smokin. it seemed like it was mostly towards smokers b/c at the end of it it said avoiding this is only making it more riskier

Offline d.i.p.

• Posting Member
Yea, well the reason they say to avoid smoking/nicotine in general for two weeks or more is because it complicates the healing process. See when you smoke, your blood vessels constrict and when they constrict, there is less blood flow going through those blood vessels so it complicates the healing phase. The cleaner your blood is before surgery, the more optimistic the results will be. Hope this helps!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024