Author Topic: My Story  (Read 2562 times)

Offline wildbilly

• Posting Member
I first noticed gyne when I was 11, in the 7th grade and have suffered the standard embarrassment, teasing, hiding my problem, avoiding parties and social situations, avoiding beaches and swimming pools, and generally avoiding or ending close relationships and friendships fearing that my dirty little secret would be discovered -- Generally missing out on many good things life has to offer. I was never able to discuss it with my parents and family. I am not sure a doctor has ever noticed it as I tried to avoid going to doctors because of the embarrassment. I almost had surgery in the mid nineties, but a work conflict happened and I never had it rescheduled.

The only person who knows, as far as I know, is my wife (and now my surgeon and his staff), and it is something we never really discuss, but she knows I am very sensitive about it. I am now in my mid forties, and have been in my own private hell for going on 35 years. Fortunately, on the other hand, by the grace of God, I feel this condition has made me a stronger and more successful person in other areas of my life which has otherwise turned out better than I would have ever imagined. Nonetheless, so much potential has been lost due to the missed opportunities and emotional scars from gyne. So for all of you out there who think this situation will ruin your lives, yes it can if you let it. Yes it can slow you down in fully enjoying life and the emotional pain never goes away, but hold your head high, capitalize on your good attributes and strengths and excel the best you can.

In the last 6 weeks, I connected with this site, which is a godsend for all of us who have been afflicted with this emotionally horrific condition.  I cannot properly express my appreciation to Merle and all of the brave souls who on this site share their stories, information and experiences  with others. Hearing from others with the same fate give others the strength to overcome their issues, courage to face it head on, discuss it on this forum and to seek help through surgery and other avenues including acceptance. The healing this site provides is incredible.

For those who are much younger and face this problem, just keep in mind that there are worse conditions and circumstances than this. Life is not easy and you will face many trying situations in life. With courage, will power, and the strength from God (whatever or whoever God may be for you), you can get through this and lead a successful life, no matter if you chose surgery or acceptance. As they say, that which does not kill you makes you stronger.

My own journey lead me to finally get the courage to have surgery last week (lipo only- lord I pray my surgeon was correct that this is all I needed, but if not I will go back to get it right). Again, I thank this site and it's compassionate and unselfish contributors for their personal stories, surgery experiences, research, and sharing of their emotional pain to let others know they are not alone. I finally realized that life is too short to not face your fears and issues head on, follow through on your dreams, and live life to it's fullest no matter what age you are.

For me, gyne has been a major obstacle and source of emotional pain for 35 years. While the physical and more so emotional healing process will take time, I am confident the surgery, while it may not be perfect, will put me on the road to emotional healing.

To those of you suffering from gyne, please do yourself a big favor and do your best to discuss it openly with a relative, good friend, doctor, or clergy person. Step one is the hardest. If you elect surgery, do your research and work toward your goal.  If finances are an issue, save and seek assistance from others. But whatever you do, never give up, keep the faith, and know there is a solution.

For parents on this site, PLEASE do whatever you can to help your sons, be it surgery, counseling, or emotional support. Your sons will be eternally grateful for your support.

God bless all of you. We are all silent sufferers with whom others cannot possibly relate.

I am hoping for a speedy recovery from my recent procedure and hope to report good results soon. I wish the same for all others recovering from surgery and those who will opt for it in the future. For everyone else, hang in there, keep the faith, pray that God will lead you in the right direction, and don't be bashful to discuss your condition with family and friends. Wild Billy from Texas

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024