Author Topic: worried mum  (Read 4611 times)

Offline sharon

I've recently taken my 15 year old son to the doctors with one enlarged breast and had never heard of this condition before and would like to know how i can help my son, he's very fit and doesn't have any excessbody weight, so loseing weight wont help, i'll be gretfull for any advise.

Offline User

• Bronze Member
Weight loss isn't going to do a thing.  From my understanding, gyne is a layer of tissue that either goes away with time or has to be removed via surgery.

There's nothing you can do beyond that.  Whatever else happens he'll have to deal with himself.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2005, 06:39:40 PM by User »
Surgery date: February 8, 2006

Offline monzo

• Bronze Member
15 yrs old is too young... You should wait a couple of years and see what happens in my opinion.. And if you
Doc has never heard of the condition thats enough to tell you to go elsewhere.

Offline serg

• Silver Member
Most docs won't operate on kids under 18 unless it's a severe case.

It's common for teenage boys to get gyne and for it to resolve itself. If this hasn't happened in a year though, it probably won't and surgery will be the solution.

All the best.

Serg

Offline Spleen

Hey Mom,

Don't worry too much.  Begin by ruling out any hormonal or genetic issues.  Frequently gynecomastia is caused by puberty, but occasionally it can be symptomatic of a hormonal problem, however unlikely that might be.  Once that's ruled out there may be medications to help reduce the breast growth as well as surgical options.  Don't rush and make sure you begin by ruling out the more serious underlying causes first.  There are lots of great options for resolving this issue so tell your guy he's in good hands.  Best of luck!

Offline ensiferum

• Posting Member
And start preparing him for years of teenage horrors, since like we all know this thing isnt going away on its own.

Once he hits 18 he can have the surgery and his life back (at least partially).

Good luck.
Surgery on 11th of May. *gulp*

Offline Spleen

dude, it's really not that bad unless you make it that way for yourself.  Treat it in an ordinary way and it's an ordinary nuisance.

Offline heartbrokenmom

• Posting Member
My son is 20.  If I had known earlier,  I would have done anything I could have to get him the surgery earlier.  This would  have having the surgery would have eliminated the missed social life and the  low self esteem that is attributed to this.  I would have done anything to alleviate this.

Good Luck. I feel for you.

Offline the weemans mom

• Posting Member
My son is 12 and surgery has finally been approved for him.  I too, would do anything to support my son.  If the insurance company would not have approved the procedures, I would have made it happen for him.  

Offline Ax87

• Bronze Member
  • gyno sucks
you guys are some caring moms, im glad u guys care so much and understand your sons problems  ;D, it helps alot when parents understand and try to help their kids out... and to the original poster it depends on how bad your sons situation is i've heard of kids getting the surgery younger then 18...

Offline c3ntralp3rk

• Silver Member
  • there is hope.
hi. i am 19, and i've had gynecomastia.. well for longer than i can rememeber. started off as pseudogynecomastia, then i ended up losing a lot of weight and started taking care of things.... and then puberty hit, and here I am, very fit, yet with enlarged nipples.

if it doesn't go away in the next 3-4 years you can opt for surgery (as I am).

as others have said 15 is a very normal age for gynecomastia to hit; however I must warn you that your son is not going to have it easy (gym class... swimming.. beach trips.. the list continues). tell him to be strong. he has my best wishes.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024