Author Topic: toning and more  (Read 6338 times)

Offline alk3

• Posting Member
Hey all.  I have a question or 2 maybe someone can answer.  I'm 24, 6'2, 255lbs.  I've recently start eating healthier and this week I'll start going to the gym.  My goal is to lose fat so I'm gonna do more cardio.  I was just wondering, to tone myself, what are the reps/sets/weight that I should be lifting?  I know it's more reps at lesser weight but I'd like to look like I know what I'm doing when I go.  Also, does it matter what you do first?  Toning or cardio?  Any advise is appreciated.  Thanks.

Offline mike101

• Posting Member
i can help you since my father is a fitness instructor lol
well firstly, fo the first  weeks of weight training u wont see much gain in muscle size (unless uve worked out b4 in ur life) as the nerve tissue are still "getting used to" the muscle movements. but for ur first 3 months, u want to be doing non-freeweight excercises about 12-15 reps x 3 for all the excercises. after about 3 1/2 months move to freeweights with about 9-11 reps x3 per excercise. and 1nce a week, go to max reps (about 3-6 times x3 per excercise and u will see fast muscle gain) combine this with cardio and healthy eating, JUST FORCE URSELF TO DRINK WATER, EAT FRUIT, GREEN VEGGIES, and meat, dotn be afraid of meat...lots of protein, helps u work out and gain muscle faster!! also, u probobly know this but cut the carbs, only eat complex carbs...do this and ull do fine.

good luck bro

mike (btw i lost 60 pounds of fat more or less within 4-5 months, put on a lot of muscle, chicks dig me...only problem is the GYNE! lol)

Offline nope1

• Gold Member
do everything above.

To answer your other question, do weights first, then cardio last, that way you're energy isn't drained before you start weights.

Offline alk3

• Posting Member
Thanks for the input.  I'm really excited about starting the gym.  Is there a certain weight I should start out at for toning?

Offline nope1

• Gold Member
Thanks for the input.  I'm really excited about starting the gym.  Is there a certain weight I should start out at for toning?

Absolutely not, just start with a weight that is comfortable for you, and do not strain yourself..., be sure not to over-do it for the first 3-4 weeks...after that, start to increase weight
« Last Edit: January 13, 2005, 04:50:03 PM by nope1 »

Offline marcus28

• Bronze Member
what carbs are good to eat and what should you avoid

Offline markashleigh1979

• I've had my final operation :)

Offline markashleigh1979

• I've had my final operation :)
when cutting ....drop the carbs and go high in potein

Offline Preds

• Silver Member
If you want to gain muscle and lose fat then do both at same time.  Do weights, high weigt but low reps.  That builds muscle and do high impact low time on cardio to drop the fat without losing muscle.
Post surgery
Got my shirt off right now!!!!! lol

Offline moobius

• Gold Member
do everything above.

To answer your other question, do weights first, then cardio last, that way you're energy isn't drained before you start weights.

if the primary goal is fat loss, then its actually better to hit the treadmill before the weights.

Offline GodWasAngry

• Silver Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1! And it loves me!
no no no
weights first and cardio after for the reason nope1 said.
but i recommend that if he's got the time, he should go  6 times a week when 4 days are weights (lets say monday, tuesday, thursday, friday) and after every workout, run for 30 minutes but not too fast, around the range of 8 km/h (5 mph) because if you run too fast you'll burn muscle and we don't want that.
in 2 other days (wedensday and sunday) do 45-60 minutes of running without weights.

Offline moobius

• Gold Member
no no no
weights first and cardio after for the reason nope1 said.

right, if the primary goal is muscle gains.

Offline stargraphicas

• Posting Member
Hi,
Sorry that my response is so late.  I just found these message boards.  I think they are great!

Ive been lifting for about 4 years now and have a license in personal training from NASM.  My suggestions:

As for running and lifting, I would suggest doing both at seperate times, just because you need to give your body a break and refuel.  When you lift, you are putting your body in a catabolic state, which means that your body is tearing itself down after all the punishment you put it through.  You have a window where your body needs food to recouperate (roughly 1.5-3 hrs after lifting).  By doing heavy cardio AFTER your workout you are robbing your body of the ability to properly replenish after the beating working out gives it.

I'd suggest at the very minimum a protein shake and a simple carb right after you lift.  Get about 30 grams of whey in your body along with a simple carb like gatorade (dextrose is preferable, but for now stick with something your body will easily digest that you can readily get).  After this be sure to eat a solid meal of proteins, carbs, and fats.

The best time to do cardio is during the morning.  That allows your body to utilize the effects of EPOC.  Basically your body will be burning calories all day like a furnace.
I'd go into more detail but for a basic start, cardio allows your body to rev up into a calorie burning machine.  Why not allow this to happen for yourself for the whole day?

Check out Eric Satterwhite on Bodybuilding.com.  The guy has a great wealth of information in all of his articles.
Follow me as I shed body fat in hopes of reducing the appearance of gyno:
http://www.angelfire.com/blog/sgentity

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024