Author Topic: Do I have gynecomastia?  (Read 5068 times)

Offline blida

• Posting Member
I've always been embaraced by it, but I'm not sure it qualifies as gynecomastia. So, can anyone please give me some insight?
Also, I'm not sure I want to correct it through surgery. Isn't there any other way? Surgery seems so extreme...

Here are some pictures. They don't show how it really looks like, cause it was really cold. My nipples are a bit puffier than that.

So, if anyone could give me some advice, I'd really appreciate it. Thank you!

Offline flex1appeal

Yes, I'd say you have a mild case but it is somewhat noticeable especially on your right side (left side on the photo). Up to you whether you can live with it enough to go without surgery. There are no alternatives to permanently rid yourself of gyno once you have it. Some get it as teens as a result of going thhru puberty and after a few years it will correct itself. But for many, it never does. I'd go speak to an endocrinologist to have your estrogen and testosterone levels checked to make sure things are running normal hormonally. Most cases are caused by an off balanced endocrine/hormone system. So surgery may get rid of it but it still can return if you have a hormone inbalance and don't correct it.

regards,

Offline blida

• Posting Member
Thank you, flex1appeal, for the advice. It is much appreciated.
This did start out when I entered puberty, and now at 20, I don't think it's temporary. I feel silly sometimes, making a big deal out of this, when I'm a perfectly healthy person. Still, it becomes a more serious thing when I can't even wear a tighter shirt without thinking that everyone is looking at my chest pointing out.
I guess it makes me insecure, and I think I'd be better socially if I made my peace with this.
Thanks again.

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
You appear to have a noticeable case of gynecomastia.  It's obviously bad enough that it bothers you.  There's really no need to "make peace" with it, when there is a way to correct it.  This is only your second post.  Are you new to the site, or have you been lurking awhile here?  Check out the site.  You'll learn quite a lot from guys who have cases similar to yours.  You may decide that you want corrective surgery.

Good luck-

Dr. Pope, M.D.
George H Pope, MD, FACS
Certified - American Board of Plastic Surgery
Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
www.georgepopemd.com
Phone: 407-857-6261

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Yes, you do have a mild to moderate case of gyne.  Your choices are to live with it or have surgery.

In cases such as yours, with onset at puberty (and you are now 20), there is usually no endocrine abnormality and I usually do not require full endo workup prior to surgery.  Most of these workups just result in normal values.  If it makes you feel better to have a thorough endo workup, though, I would have no problem with it.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
This did start out when I entered puberty, and now at 20, I don't think it's temporary.

Actually, it could be 'temporary' dude... It all depends on how soon you can get a surgery date! ;)

I feel silly sometimes, making a big deal out of this, when I'm a perfectly healthy person. Still, it becomes a more serious thing when I can't even wear a tighter shirt without thinking that everyone is looking at my chest pointing out. I guess it makes me insecure.

Naw, don't feel silly dude. Gynecomastia is a very serious psychological issue. Gynecomastia can consume you! It can dictate what you do, what you wear, who you see, where you go, the jobs you consider etc, etc... Gynecomastia can be, at times, very debilitating to your psyche... It can also lead to suicidal thoughts for some... So no, don't feel silly at all my man... Gynecomastia is not a condition to be taken lightly...

I think I'd be better socially if I made my peace with this.

Oh for sure my man... It's a whole new world out there when you are gyne free! It's like being 're-born'...  ;)

GB
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline blida

• Posting Member
@ Dr. Pope

Thank you.
I am new to this forum and the minute I saw it and realized what it was about, I immediately felt like it was the right place for me to talk about this and to analyze my options with people that know so much about gynecomastia.
Even though I'm really impressed by some pre and post-operation pictures, there are always a few that make me think twice about it, especially when it comes to scars and that "natural" look that surgery can't really achieve sometimes. Plus, to me, surgery is such a big deal! I'm miles away from making a decision like that, cause I would seriously need to sit down and think about it thoroughly. I guess I'm just hoping that this will go away if I work out more...

Offline blida

• Posting Member
@ Dr Elliot Jacobs

Thank you for replying.
Isn't there any chance that I still may have some sort of hormonal abnormality? I didn't realize that it was a rare thing to have at 20. I heard that males keep developing their bodies until their early twenties. Isn't there a possibility that with proper exercise and time this will eventually disappear?

Offline blida

• Posting Member
@ Grandpa Bambu

Like I said before, I am so terrified of surgery! I'm just so scared of not liking the way it turns out. And then I'll be even worse than before! :-[

And I understand that these issues can take their toll on a person's life, but I still feel silly when I think of people who live with or die of serious conditions like cancer and leukemia and that kind of stuff. Or burn victims. You can't help but feel like your problem is pathetic compared to some, you know? I guess it's hard to think about it when you put it in perspective...

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
As I said, most men do not have hormonal abnormalities -- but all men do have very minor fluctuations in their hormone levels.  If you feel better about having a complete endocrinologic workup, then that's fine.  For patients with long term and stable gyne, such as yourself, I usually do not require a complete endo workup.

As for your gyne disappearing spontaneously in the next few years, it would be very doubtful.

Dr Jacobs

Offline ineedsurgery

• Bronze Member
yea looks puffy to me, surgery is gonna need to be done to get rid of it man...good luck bro keep us updated

Offline Grandpa Bambu

I guess I'm just hoping that this will go away if I work out more...

Isn't there a possibility that with proper exercise and time this will eventually disappear?

You cannot exercise away Gynecomastia. You should get that notion out of your head right now dude. It'll never happen! Trust me on this... ;)

Like I said before, I am so terrified of surgery! I'm just so scared of not liking the way it turns out. And then I'll be even worse than before! :-[

With the refined surgical techniques that we have today, I'm sure the chances of it 'being worse' are slim-to-none!

I don't mean to dis you here dude, but you are thinking so negatively... (much like my wife...) You should try to have positive thoughts. If surgery results are not to your liking, a revision is always an option...

And I understand that these issues can take their toll on a person's life, but I still feel silly when I think of people who live with or die of serious conditions like cancer and leukemia and that kind of stuff. Or burn victims. You can't help but feel like your problem is pathetic compared to some, you know? I guess it's hard to think about it when you put it in perspective...

Yes, it is very unfortunate that some people have life threatening illnesses, but as I mentioned, Gynecomastia is a very serious condition on its own merits. In most cases, G is not life-threatening. However, you shouldn't dismiss it as being trivial either....

GB

Offline flex1appeal

You know, the more I look at your phote, the more I think your gyno is really one sided meaning it is very noticeable on your right side and I don't really see much on your left. I do maybe see a tiny hint of it on your left side but nothing that would make me think anything of it with your shirt off if you right side was equal. Gyno surgery is really minor in the sceme of things. It honestly is nothing to fear and is a really liberating experience for those who have lived with Gyno for so long. My gyno was self inflicted from years of steroid abuse. For that I kick myself. I ruined an already perfect body by using steroids. So I paid for it later. I lived with this embarrassing condition for 8 yearslonger than I should have. I agree with Grandpa Bambu in all he has said about this. Yes, I can see where in the scheme of things you may find it silly to dwell on because others have it worse in the world. But focus on what you have and the fact it bothers you. You have a choice to live with this or not.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

I agree with Grandpa Bambu in all he has said about this. Yes, I can see where in the scheme of things you may find it silly to dwell on because others have it worse in the world. But focus on what you have and the fact it bothers you. You have a choice to live with this or not.

;)

GB

Offline Dave_8

• Gold Member
Very mild. But yeah, you have it.
If you have gyne, dont expect not be laughed at.

Just like if you walk into a locker room, you're gonna see some hairy asses and dicks.

Unfortunately for me, both have occured in my life way too many times.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024