Author Topic: How long to wear the vest after surgery?  (Read 33337 times)

Offline badcase

• Posting Member
I am going on one month post-op. I had gland removal and lipo of the under arm area. I have been having a hard time with the vest, because it keeps rolling up at the bottom causing me pain (I have large hips). There is quite a bit of swelling mostly where the lipo was done. Will the results be the same with out the vest in the long run. Or will it affect the results negatively. Thank you

Offline DrCALOCA

• Posting Member
    • www.gynecomastiamexico.com
I usually indicate use of bandages for the first week, then two to six weeks of vest use if there are no complications. I recomend use of the vest only in the daytime for week five and every other day in the daytime for week six. That way, you do not present sudden swelling when you stop using the vest. Your surgeon must make the official recommendation of course, but this is my usual scenario.
Dr.Dr.Jaime Caloca Jr.
Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
(619) 734-2290 -www.drcaloca.com

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
You will get a variety of answers to this question.  There's probably no right answer.  I have my patients wear a compression vest for two weeks, day and night, then afterward, switch to a tight, spandex shirt such as Underarmour.  I know it's tough to wear the vest for even two weeks.  When I had this procedure done on me 5 years ago, I took the vest off during a long plane flight because it was driving me nuts.  I was near the end of the second week, so I never put it on again.

Your swelling is going to last longer than two weeks; more like 2 months.  That's why I recommend some type of compression shirt after you have pitched the vest.

Dr. Pope, M.D.
George H Pope, MD, FACS
Certified - American Board of Plastic Surgery
Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
www.georgepopemd.com
Phone: 407-857-6261

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
There are no hard and fast rules about how long to wear a vest -- every patient is different and every doctor has his own routine.  What counts, however, is the final result.

I regard wearing a strong, tight compression garment as an essential part of the surgery -- yet is entirely under the control of the patient.  Obviously wearing these garments are a pain in the neck.  But they serve an essential purpose:  to keep pressure on the operated areas and by doing so, keep down swelling, bruising and pain.  Net result is faster and better healing.  And as far as I am concerned, the longer you wear something (ie vest, binder, Underarmour, etc) the better and faster your healing will be.

There are many types of garments and various combinations that can be worn.  I would suggest you discuss this with your surgeon and also visit some of the other blogs on this site as regards patient's experiences with various types of compression garments.

In your particular case, you might try wearing a spandex-type of garment under your vest -- it might make things more comfortable for you and help prevent the vest from rolling up.

Good luck!

Dr Jacobs

Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline badcase

• Posting Member
Thank you very much for your replies.

Offline Dr. Cruise

• Supporting Doctors
  • Gold Member
  • Dr. Cruise
    • http://lagynecomastia.org/
It usually is best if you can wear some compression. I recommend for my patients to buy sleeveless under armour shirt and wear a 6 inch wrap that doesn't slide or cause much discomfort.
Dr. Cruise
Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
2081 San Joaquin Hills Road
Newport Beach, CA 92660
949-644-4808
Before and After Pictures
Types of Gynecomastia

DrBermant

I am going on one month post-op. I had gland removal and lipo of the under arm area. I have been having a hard time with the vest, because it keeps rolling up at the bottom causing me pain (I have large hips). There is quite a bit of swelling mostly where the lipo was done. Will the results be the same with out the vest in the long run. Or will it affect the results negatively. Thank you

After Gynecomastia Surgery Chest Garments can really help with after surgery swelling.    A First Stage Male Chest Compression Garments is safer to get on and off right after surgery.  Swelling without such compression does not go away as fast.  The garment's stabilization of tissues helps minimize new injury and swelling.  How long to wear a garment depends on the problem treated, what was done, and other factors best discussed with your surgeon familiar with the problem.  I prefer to individualize how long for each of my patients, one duration does not fit all situations.  As long as there is swelling and a patient is more comfortable with the garment than without, there can be significant advantages to compression.

A Second Stage Gynecomastia Garments help with scars.  Scars that evolve under pressure do much better than scars without pressure.

Not all garments are the same.  Some designs tend to ride up more than others. Fit can be important, that is why I fit each of my patients before surgery.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Surgery

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024