Author Topic: Gynecomastia Removal Surgery & Accutane  (Read 11698 times)

Offline CodySockeye

• Silver Member
  • i-raq
I have been on a 40mg twice daily dosage of Accutane for about 2 months now. I wanted to have surgery, but it was brought to my attention by my father that i might not be operable or my results could be affected by my Accutane regimen.

Will a surgeon operate on me while I'm on Accutane? Would it affect my results?

I'm so tired of my gynecomastia! I wanted to get surgery THIS SUMMER. I had my heart set on it. I will quit my Accutane if thats what it takes. I'm dead serious, I cannot stand having gynecomastia any longer. I'm desperate. Please help!

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Accutane, used for acne, is a very powerful medication which has profound effects on the skin -- which lasts for many months after the medication is stopped. 

I would strongly recommend you temporarily postpone any contemplated surgery until you have completed your Accutane treatment and then wait an additional six months before considering surgery. 

Surgery, if performed while you are on Accutane, can affect the way you would heal and the resultant scar may not be acceptable to you.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline CodySockeye

• Silver Member
  • i-raq
That is definitely not what I wanted to hear  :-\

If my PS is willing, I'm ready to take the risk. I'm that hell bent on this.

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
I've seen your photos before, and I know that you have a bad case of acne over much of your chest and back.  You would be wise to complete your course of Accutane.  It's an amazing drug that can potentially cure your acne for life, so I wouldn't mess around with the doctor's treatment plan.

Your gynecomastia can wait until the acne is cleared up and you've been off Accutane for a safe period of time.  Besides, you're only 17 or 18 now; you can still get your gynecomastia corrected as a teenager, which is better than many guys have been able to do.

You have 2 plastic surgeons' opinions now.

Dr. Pope, M.D.
George H Pope, MD, FACS
Certified - American Board of Plastic Surgery
Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
www.georgepopemd.com
Phone: 407-857-6261

Offline CodySockeye

• Silver Member
  • i-raq
Thank you gentlemen. I talked with Dr. Reddy today, and he told me I should wait at least 8 months before surgery. 2 months to finish my Accutane, and 6 months for it to get out of my system. Though this is upsetting news, I've accepted it and am looking forward to February of 2010.

Dr. Pope- Yeah, my body acne was horrible. Even after 3 months of Accutane, though, I'm almost 100% clear. It's AWESOME. One of the best decisions I've ever made.

Thanks again for the advice :)

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024