Author Topic: Can a sureon also correct a third nipple?  (Read 5201 times)

Offline cymro

• Posting Member
Hi, Ive posted a few threads asking about gynecomastia surgery and I have now decided to have one done in early september with Karidis. In our consultation he spotted that I have a third nipple. It's size is not that significant, it's about 1cm x 0.3cm in area, completely flat and located a few inches down from my right nipple. Do you think it's possible he could remove it at the same time as the gynecomastia operation?

I know it isn't that significant but it bothers me to know its an extra nipple and not a mole or a scar. I'm thinking I might as well have it done at the same time rather than dwelling on it in the future and going for another op. Any thoughts? And also, would it cost more to have it done?
Thanks
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 06:46:36 PM by cymro »

Offline moobsbrah

• Bronze Member
the surgeon's cost will probably cost more than just the gyno alone, but it will definitely be cheaper than 2 separate operations, since you'd only be paying one anethestisa/operating room fee.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
What you are describing is an "accessory" nipple -- a very small and rudimentary version of a normal nipple.  It commonly occurs below and slightly towards the midline of your own breast-- usually at or just below the normal fold of the breast.

When I have patients who have this, I offer to remove it at no additional charge.  Removing it takes all of one minute.  And sometimes, I will use the incision here as an entry point for doing the lipo portion of the gyne surgery.

Food for thought to discuss with your surgeon!

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

DrBermant

Hi, Ive posted a few threads asking about gynecomastia surgery and I have now decided to have one done in early september with Karidis. In our consultation he spotted that I have a third nipple. It's size is not that significant, it's about 1cm x 0.3cm in area, completely flat and located a few inches down from my right nipple. Do you think it's possible he could remove it at the same time as the gynecomastia operation?

I know it isn't that significant but it bothers me to know its an extra nipple and not a mole or a scar. I'm thinking I might as well have it done at the same time rather than dwelling on it in the future and going for another op. Any thoughts? And also, would it cost more to have it done?
Thanks

Yes an extra nipple (Supranummary Nipple) can be excised during surgery.  For my patients, I include that surgery at no additional charge during my contouring of their chest.  The trade off is that there is a scar from the excision site.

We treat so many different types of gynecomastia, a one price fits all is just not practical.  Cost of Gynecomastia Surgery depends on the problem to be treated and what needs to be done.  However in our office, the extra nipple component is not one of those factors.  Each surgeon has his / her own policies that is best directed to that surgeon.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia Surgery

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024