Author Topic: How long is the waiting list for surgery?  (Read 3710 times)

Offline hendrix72

• Posting Member
Hey. I need surgery to reduce very puffy nipples, so I'm thinking lipo and excision (correct me if I'm wrong). What are the waiting lists like for surgery? I'm trying as hard as I can to push the surgery for free on the NHS, as it's causing me depression and even suicidal thoughts. I would LOVE to have the surgery before I go to uni, in late-Sep/early-Oct, but if I can only get it after that then so be it. After being accepted or whatever, how long does it take for your surgery to be done? Am I hoping for too much in my case? Cheers in advance for replies.

Offline pr0digy

• Posting Member
Various factors depend on your waiting time

Here's what I did:

Saw my GP in January, went back after about two weeks and he refferd me to the hospital
I then had to wait eight weeks for the hospital appointment. A surgeon saw me, asked me a couple of questions, and said he'd put me down to have surgery.
I had to go back to hospital after about 6 weeks, to meet the surgeon who would perform the operation. Had pictures taken, and breasts examined again. He put me on his waiting list, which he said was 6-8 weeks long.
I was called just after eight weeks (13th July), for surgery on Monday (20th July). It didn't go very smoothly to be honest, but that's a different story.

So I'd be looking at half a year, give or take a few weeks, if you haven't seen your GP yet.
Actual surgery waiting list that I was put on was about 9 weeks.
Had gyno for the best part of 8 (awful) years
Surgery on Monday 20th July. Never felt so happy in my life!

Offline postiey

• Gold Member
just wanted to ask how come some people get it on the nhs then and others get refused. i dont think id want to go the nhs route to be honest but i do wish that it wasnt reguarded as a cosmetic procedure. i think its bollocks we have to pay for it.
 it should be on the nhs it is diagnosed as a condition! so how the hell can it be cosmetic.

where not asking for a six pack or pecs, just asking to be normal i hope in years to come this changes and think it needs to be out there more as i have sufferd in silence for years. hopin to get rid of it this year on a good note-

sorry about the rant ha

Offline pr0digy

• Posting Member
Postiey, I had no choice but to have it on the NHS. I have no money at all. Looks like you have to fork out a couple of K for something that should be done free, or end up being booted through a revolving door/looking like a chopping board.

I went from the highest high on Monday morning to the lowest low yesterday, when I had my first proper look. They told me they'd do liposuction, and an excision if it's needed (which definitely was needed).

Looks like they only did liposuction. I mean, the t*ts are still there, they just look more toned. I can still see the b*stards through the compression vest they made me. I feel like getting a carving knife and gouging them out. Plus a surgeon who saw me on the day of surgery told me I'd only be having liposuction done. A few hours later, an anaesthetist comes along, I ask him, and he tells me an excision as well. Make your mind up, lads.

They remove tattoos alright. Why can't the same be done for gynecomastia? I've been bullied, laughed at in public, humiliated, because of my gyne. All I ask for is a normal chest so I can go out in summer, and play the sports that I've always wanted to play.

The NHS is effed up.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 03:39:31 PM by pr0digy »

Offline postiey

• Gold Member
really sorry to hear that pr0digy i wasnt getting at u hope u didn take it personally. i meant to say i think we should all get this for free as i said early i cant see how it is cosmetic at all. just pisses me off the nhs dont help even with the mental side of  it. i personally felt like i was being pushed out the door, i think maybe this is because more people are coming forward with this condition (just a thought) as it seems to be on the radio tv alot.

i have heard the nhs getting it wrong alot on these posts mate! so ur not the only one. i hope things work out for u tho. perhaps things will look better over time? as u say more toned that can only be a good thing. i think u deserve alot of credit for goin through with it mate. hope things look better over time i have heard it could be swelling.

all the best

Offline hendrix72

• Posting Member
The surgery should be free. I have absolutely no money, nor does my family; how can I push my surgery through on the NHS?

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024