Author Topic: Air pocket beneath the skin after surgery?  (Read 10101 times)

Offline Rav86

• Posting Member
After having liposuction and excision of the glands to treat gynecomastia, is it normal to have small pockets of air beneath the skin in certain areas?
I had surgery a week ago and I've found a spot that sounds and feels like an air pocket beneath the surface of the skin when tapped/rubbed. It's a tiny area - maybe an inch wide.

Will it be absorbed/flattened out naturally by my body, or do I have to get it punctured and dealt with medically by my family doctor?

Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
During liposuction, it is inevitable that some air can get in under the skin.  This is not unusual and it is harmless -- the air will be absorbed by your body.  You need not have your family doctor stick a needle in and aspirate it.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Rav86

• Posting Member
That's what I had hoped. Thank you very much!

DrBermant

After having liposuction and excision of the glands to treat gynecomastia, is it normal to have small pockets of air beneath the skin in certain areas?
I had surgery a week ago and I've found a spot that sounds and feels like an air pocket beneath the surface of the skin when tapped/rubbed. It's a tiny area - maybe an inch wide.

Will it be absorbed/flattened out naturally by my body, or do I have to get it punctured and dealt with medically by my family doctor?

Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

Some air is always introduced during surgery that goes away on its own.  This absorption happens normally within a few hours with adequate Compression After Gynecomastia Surgery. Open wounds, air remaining for prolonged periods of time, or new air not there before (subcutaneous emphysema) can all be factors best checked with your doctor as soon as possible.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024