Author Topic: question about lipotherme surgery.  (Read 1807 times)

Offline secsec

• Posting Member
i had this procedure done 2 weeks ago. i was awake and everything and actually smelled the fat burn off. i went for a follow up with my doctor and he was happy with the results but i wasn't too happy because my concern was that not enough fat was removed. he said to keep garment on for 2 more weeks and that it should reduce more in size. i wasn't convinced becuz when he first saw my post op chest his reaction was like it had healed and everything was all good. my question is with this 'laser procedure'  will i see my chest reduce in size as well as 'tighten'.  thx

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
There are all types of "laser lipo" being hyped extensively.  If there is any advantage to them, it would be that the skin is tightened in the process of removing tissue.  But even that has not been proven scientifically.

What is known is that lasers have NO EFFECT on breast tissue.  They do "melt fat" -- but but then the liquified fat has to be suctioned out in the routine manner.  Standard liposuction also removes fat -- directly.

Furthermore, in standard lipo, once the tissues (fat and breast tissue) have been removed, the skin will tighten spontaneously -- without the need for a laser.

In sum, I firmly believe that laser lipo will not address all the problems (ie gland tissue as well) that we see routinely in gyne surgery.

Through the years, there have been many new techniques which have been hyped -- and they have all fallen by the wayside.  Standard lipo has been a SAFE gold standard for years -- don't be fooled by hype!

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024