Author Topic: gynecomastia surgery using MAMMOTOME  (Read 6293 times)

Offline BullsEye

• Posting Member
Has anybody had gynecomastia surgery using this mammotome technique? Apparently it is new for gynecomastia and it has been used before on women for obtaining breast samples. Any information on mammotome and gynecoamstia?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
A Mammatome is used for a breast biopsy to remove a very small amount of tissue.  It is not applicable for gyne surgery.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Dr Kapoor

• Bronze Member
    • Dr. Kapoor, Beverly Hills Cosmetic Surgeon
A Mammatome is used for a breast biopsy to remove a very small amount of tissue.  It is not applicable for gyne surgery.

Dr Jacobs

agreed with Dr Jacobs

Offline shiftend

• Posting Member
It can be usefull in some cases. I have had it done in the UK and it was very successful. I could not find any clinics advertising it as a treatment, but I found one or two academic papers online from Doctors based in the UK. I then emailed them and went from there. It was quite cheap, done under a local anesthetic and took around 30 mins. I was only in hospital for around 2 hours total! I only had gynocomastia on one side and it was fairly mild as far as the condition goes. They removed around 60 strips of tissue I believe. Im hopefully having a final touch up treatment soon to remove a few last bits they missed.

Its good for removing actual fibrous breast tissue (which is what proper gynecomastia actually is if im not mistaken) , but will not remove fat (I dont believe this is proper gynocomastia anyway though?). For fat removal lyposuction may be more approriate. Lyposuction will not really remove fibrous breast tissue though, so you need to find out what yours is made of. You could have both lyposuction to remove fat and a mamotome to remove tissue I suppose. You would probably have to have these as seperate ops by different people though and recover from one before you could have the next. Im no expert on this, but it seems logical to me.

I originally went to my local (for profit) clinic and they unthinkingly realed off a standard answer and treatment and told me to have lyposuction. This did not remove much atall as I am not overweight and do not have much fat on me. It just cost me lots of money and gave me a very sore chest for a few weeks! My gnocomastia was made of proper fibrous breast tissue. I then had the mamotome precoedure which cost about 1/3 of the cost of liposuction and did a much better job.

If you want to investigate it I would reccomended finding someone who has used mamotome for gynocomastia successfully before and contact them. This took me a few months of searching the internet, emailing people, chasing them, chasing them a bit more, asking the mamotome manufacturer and contacting the writers of academic papers on the subject.

I hope this helps and good luck with whatever you decide to do.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 05:22:17 AM by shiftend »

Offline shiftend

• Posting Member
Here is some more info on the procedure. I've been seeing the surgeon in the video.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/8383609.stm
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 03:19:42 PM by shiftend »

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Watched the video -- it really didn't show much about the instrument itself so I cannot comment one way or another.  However, the casual approach to this invasive surgery (note the surgeon is wearing an apron and gloves only -- no surgeon's gown, no mask, no hat) is a bit frightening to me.  In the US, I would bet that the same procedure would require mandatory cap/mask/gown and a large sterile field.

Dr Jacobs

Offline shiftend

• Posting Member
The procedure is not very widely available in the UK. I think there may be 2 or 3 surgeons offering it in the whole of the UK if that. I dont think its been available for that long. I think they ran that article to try and raise awareness. I've been very pleased with the results so far though. Mainly:
1) The physical and aesthetic results
2) The low cost of the procedure
3) The speed of the procedure.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024