Author Topic: Dr's advice PLEASE!  (Read 2495 times)

Offline dave2009

• Bronze Member
Hi, firstly I've been around on these boards for some time and noticed the excellent replies from the Dr's. If any of you have time I really would appreciate your advice.

I live in the UK, after 8 years of seeing about 9 GP's from my pratice and requesting a referral to the breast clinic, a few months ago a very understanding GP agreed to refer to my local hospital.(Each GP said I have gyno).

I went, had hormone tests and mamogram which were all normal. Stated I had grade 2 gynocamastia and in his opinion most of it was fat and lipo would be the best option but this is not available on the NHS so he agreed to a bi-lateral mastectomy.

I also got a private consultation (one of many over the years) who agreed it was grade 2, but lipo was not sufficient in my case as he felt breast tissue and would need excision and lipo at £5.000. I simply can not afford this.

So, the mastectomy was booked, the consultant breast surgeon said she had done them before, I felt reassured by her technique, ie cutting around the areloa and cutting away the gland and fat etc also removing excess skin and sewing that up, so the nipples would not drop (I lost 3 stone over 3 years to try to reduce my moobs but they went bigger so have excess skin). Obviously she made me aware of the risks etc.

So, it was booked and 12 hours before cancelled due to no beds yesterday. I was gutted as had booked time off work etc and psyched myself up.

They have re-booked for beginning of Feb. However today I was looking online, I have researched this SO very much as I want the best outcome and have found a surgeon in Birmingham who is a Plastic Surgeon and does lipo and excission on the NHS at Birmingham City Hospital. Mr Fatah. I am now uncertain whether to go with the breast surgeon as booked for Feb or request a re-referral by my GP to Birmingham. I am so confused it is getting me down. I wouldn't want to go to Birmingham and they say they won't do anything on the NHS even though my local area agreed to.

Please docs, what should I do???

DrBermant

Hi, firstly I've been around on these boards for some time and noticed the excellent replies from the Dr's. If any of you have time I really would appreciate your advice.

I live in the UK, after 8 years of seeing about 9 GP's from my pratice and requesting a referral to the breast clinic, a few months ago a very understanding GP agreed to refer to my local hospital.(Each GP said I have gyno).

I went, had hormone tests and mamogram which were all normal. Stated I had grade 2 gynocamastia and in his opinion most of it was fat and lipo would be the best option but this is not available on the NHS so he agreed to a bi-lateral mastectomy.

I also got a private consultation (one of many over the years) who agreed it was grade 2, but lipo was not sufficient in my case as he felt breast tissue and would need excision and lipo at £5.000. I simply can not afford this.

So, the mastectomy was booked, the consultant breast surgeon said she had done them before, I felt reassured by her technique, ie cutting around the areloa and cutting away the gland and fat etc also removing excess skin and sewing that up, so the nipples would not drop (I lost 3 stone over 3 years to try to reduce my moobs but they went bigger so have excess skin). Obviously she made me aware of the risks etc.

So, it was booked and 12 hours before cancelled due to no beds yesterday. I was gutted as had booked time off work etc and psyched myself up.

They have re-booked for beginning of Feb. However today I was looking online, I have researched this SO very much as I want the best outcome and have found a surgeon in Birmingham who is a Plastic Surgeon and does lipo and excission on the NHS at Birmingham City Hospital. Mr Fatah. I am now uncertain whether to go with the breast surgeon as booked for Feb or request a re-referral by my GP to Birmingham. I am so confused it is getting me down. I wouldn't want to go to Birmingham and they say they won't do anything on the NHS even though my local area agreed to.

Please docs, what should I do???

I have posted a guide to selecting a gynecomastia surgeon.

http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=16474.0

After weight loss Drooping Male Chest Skin can be a major factor. This surgical sculpture is quite different from female breast lift and reduction. Seeing examples of that doctor's surgical skills with this specific problem is critical. You cannot look at another doctor's work and assume any doctor can reproduce that sculpture.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia of Male Chest Ptosis - Sagging and Male Mastopexy Chest Lift Sculpture

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024