Author Topic: Hi I am new here  (Read 2698 times)

Offline danp46

• Posting Member
Up until Monday when I had a routine visit with my primary physician, I had no idea of what Gynecomastia was or that there was a support site for those who are afflicted with it. So, here I am, grateful that I have found this place.

I am 63 years old and retired … a nice place in life to be. I have put on a few pounds since retiring but still remain active with no major health problems. I first started to notice it during the summer months last year and even more so recently that my breasts weren’t just getting larger but even started to sag a bit. Well, my doctor did a thorough exam and still wants to run some hormone tests and blood chemistries but thinks that I may be dealing with Gynecomastia.

After talking to my doctor, I did some web research and that was a real eye opener. I realized that as an adolescent and throughout my adult life I have always had small but well defined breasts never really large enough that it caused any concern. Also, I’ve always had inverted nipples … kind of unusual but nothing more than a curiosity and now the nipples are no longer inverted but are starting to become well defined.

Honestly, at 63, if it’s not fatal, I’ll find a way to cope. But I am kind of weirded out about it. I know this problem can pass in time … but not always … but wonder if I am still in the beginning stages and if I will see an increase in size in the coming months?

Any thoughts or advices will be greatly appreciated.

Dan

PS ..Will try to post photos separately
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 09:42:19 AM by danp46 »

Offline Anon E Mouse

• Bronze Member
Hi Dan,

I think your Doctor is correct in checking your hormone levels. That may well be the cause of your breast growth. You are correct as well in that it is not fatal. ;)

Here's a link to an article on the Mayo Clinic web site regarding what's called "Hypogonadism".

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/male-hypogonadism/DS00300

Do a search for Hypogonadism, and then Testosterone Replacement Therapy. You'll find a TON of information.

My T level had dropped significantly and was having several unwelcome symptoms. I've been taking testosterone since August of '08 and am doing much better. You'll also find a lot of younger guys here who are understandably upset about their gyne and are looking for surgery. I'm old enough that I'm not as bothered by my breasts and wear a bra to work every day, as you'll find many guys here do. It's a practical solution to a growing problem ;)

Offline danp46

• Posting Member
Hi Mouse,
Thanks for your response and the info. I knew the Mayo Clinic was a good source but I never before came across Hypogonadism. I will definitely check this out. At this stage of things I can really use more information about what I am dealing with.

I really do feel for the younger guys who are dealing with gyne. It has to be really hard emotionally to handle and don’t know how well I’d be doing if I was 33 and not 63. With being retired, I don’t face a lot of the social problems associated with work plus I pretty much make my own schedule. Warmer weather will present some problems but I have some time to work on that.

I think I am still in shock right now and trying to bring everything back into some kind of perspective. The one thing I keep coming back to is that at my age I could have a much more serious medical problem to deal with … so I am thankful that that is not the case. Wearing a bra to work everyday? Lord, I got some big adjustments ahead!   :o

Thanks again.

Offline Anon E Mouse

• Bronze Member
Dan,

One of the things you will want to remember is that everyone's body is different, our circumstances are different, and our perspectives are different. While some are simply unable to handle the thought of a man wearing a bra...no matter how big his breasts...others see it as just an article of clothing designed for a specific and practical purpose. For myself, I drive a bus everyday. It doesn't have an "air-ride" seat, and is in fact only marginally better than the ones the riders get. At times I have generally little breast sensitivity, and at other times I can hardly stand it. This means that since the bus rides like a buckboard, within the first 15-minutes I'm feeling like a milkshake, with nearly 8-hours to go! All that bouncing and shaking drives me absolutely nuts (a shorter trip than I would like to admit)! Nevertheless, it is for these reasons that I wear a bra to work - support and comfort. You may, or may not find yourself in circumstances where the support provided by a bra is worthwhile to you. I would encourage you to weigh the issue on the fulcrum of practicality, rather than on emotion or ego.

That said, a bra really isn't the issue here, at least not at this point. The fact that you are growing breasts is. Before you can really begin to make long-term decisions about how you will handle having them, you will first have to reconcile yourself with the fact that you do have them. At 63, I'm betting that you have come to understand that you are not your body, nor does it define who you are. I'll also wager that you have been in your body long enough to learn that it will do things to you that you would never have imagined, and that it rudely refuses to ask your permission. In short, that's what is going on here. Your body is doing something without your permission. You have nothing to be ashamed of or feel guilty about. Some of the guys here don't seem to understand that.

Hypogonadism (Low Testosterone) would seem to be a high probability for causing your gyne given my readings on the subject in learning about my own hormonal issues. Of course, there are several other possible causes and only your doctor can determine that. Gynecomastia is a symptom of other health issues and not a cause.

Anon

Offline danp46

• Posting Member
Anon,
Again thanks for taking the time to respond and advise and especially for your candor. Having dealt with my share of health problems over the years, I do appreciate that there are many different but related facets to deal with. So, your life experiences in dealing with gyne provides an invaluable insight for me and for that I am most thankful.

Right now, I am still at the beginning of identifying and understanding completely the effects and ramifications of my problem. My doctor has identified the problem but the actual cause(s) are still to be determined. From the medical side, the more information I have, the better I will be able to understand and communicate with my doctor.

From the personal side, there are many facets to deal with and you want to be making good and healthy decisions. I haven’t experienced the level of breast sensitivity you have described. So far, sensitivity has been mild. I am seeing sagging of the breasts and my concern is the skin on skin and the moisture there. I tend to perspire fairly easily, so I have been checking that area and cleanly and drying as needed. What I don’t know now is whether or not the breasts will continue to increase in size (mass) which will make the sagging problem even worse. So, a bra would be one way of dealing with that problem. So, a bra is not a today decision I need to make but one I have to consider in the future.

You were absolutely correct in saying that the real issue is gyne. So any other thoughts you or anyone else can contribute will be greatly appreciated.

Dan

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
dan, bras are kind of a necessity for more advanced cases, but you may be able to get by instead with just what's called a compression garment.  senior onset happens irregularly same as pubertal onset.  it sounds like you've got a good handle on it, and anon e mouse has given you a good perspective.  the hormonal stuff might easily be addressable but it probably will not reverse the situation from where it is currently, only an op would do that, and from the sound of it it might not be as important to you, only you know that.  you may also learn more just reading around the site as lots of the rest of us have too.  welcome to the boards :)  
* a man is more than a body will ever tell
* if it screws up your life the same, is there really any such thing as "mild" gyne?

Offline Anon E Mouse

• Bronze Member
Dan,

You may find that that using baby powder (talc, not corn starch), will help with the moisture issue.  :)

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024