Author Topic: Confused over compression.  (Read 2633 times)

Offline dave2009

• Bronze Member
Hi Docs,

Thanks for your time.

I am 5 days post off - bi-lateral mastectomy and lipo.

I am so confused as to know how much pressure to wear. I currently have a spandex/lycra vest which is tight but not as tight as the surgical one I bought.

My surgeon said not to put too much pressure over the nipples which have dressings on for 9 days.

Can I do any damage???

I've phoned the hospital and they said wear it with a break of 3 to 4 hours per day, others say 24 hours and other 50% of the time.

I really would value your help here.

Kind regards.

Offline Dr. Cruise

• Supporting Doctors
  • Gold Member
  • Dr. Cruise
    • http://lagynecomastia.org/
It is important to understand why compression is necessary. There are two purposes for compression. 1) To decrease swelling 2) To make sure the skin and soft tissues are compressed against the underlying pec major muscle to allow them to reattach. (During the surgery they are separated from each other.) This requires only gentle compression to accomplish these goals. The garment should be snug but you should be able to easily fit a finger underneath.

Regarding taking the garment off for periods. This is most necessary immediately after surgery to make sure blood supply is not cut off. I tell my patients 5 days out to wear the garment essentially all the time except to shower.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 04:34:41 PM by Dr. Cruise »
Dr. Cruise
Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
2081 San Joaquin Hills Road
Newport Beach, CA 92660
949-644-4808
Before and After Pictures
Types of Gynecomastia

Offline dave2009

• Bronze Member
Many thanks Dr. Cruise for your very helpful advice.

That solves my problem on compression.

I have also checked out your website and it is excellent and highly informative.

Thanks again.

DrBermant

Hi Docs,

Thanks for your time.

I am 5 days post off - bi-lateral mastectomy and lipo.

I am so confused as to know how much pressure to wear. I currently have a spandex/lycra vest which is tight but not as tight as the surgical one I bought.

My surgeon said not to put too much pressure over the nipples which have dressings on for 9 days.

Can I do any damage???

I've phoned the hospital and they said wear it with a break of 3 to 4 hours per day, others say 24 hours and other 50% of the time.

I really would value your help here.

Kind regards.

The amount of compression after surgery can be critical for certain techniques. For my patients I prefer to carefully adjust the pressure for each surgical sculpture. Too much and tissue can be damaged, too little can cause swelling / discomfort / bruising. Changing what a surgeon has planned can result in a disaster or slower healing.  However, some doctors take a more cavalier approach. In such cases try to find what such methods result in after surgery swelling and bruising or complications.

A good surgeon carefully educates patients about such issues and your questions should be directed to that specific doctor, not the hospital staff nor this forum.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline dave2009

• Bronze Member
Many thanks for your advice too Dr. Bermant,

I have taken this on board too.

Kind regards.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024