Author Topic: Protein supplements harmful?  (Read 5452 times)

Offline Ibanez99

• Bronze Member
Good evening

Please read my story here before I can ask anything here ..
http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=20480.0

Thanks for reading.
As I mentioned I've started weight training to improve my condition although I'm aware it's not gonna get rid of this condition. I'm also preparing myself to talk to my dad about surgery soon.

As a part of weight training I'm advised to take whey protein for muscle toning and building. The trainer says lifting won't be effective without protein supplements. Please note,no steroids just protein supplement.
 I want to ask is this gonna worsen my condition in any way? Should I take them or not? I'm really confused about this. I'm providing the chemical composition of the one that I'm supposed to buy here-

Serving Size1Scoop(35g)
Servings Per Container26
Amount Per Serving   % DV
Calories   140   
Calories From Fat   20   
Total Fat   2g   3%*
Saturated Fat   1g   5%*
Trans Fat   0g   †
Cholesterol   60mg   21%*
Sodium   60mg   3%
Total Carbohydrate   5g   2%*
Sugars   1g   †
Protein   25g   50%*
Vitamin A   109IU   2%
Calcium   200mg   20%
Iron   0.4mg   2%
Phosphorus   112mg   12%
Magnesium   33mg   8%
Potassium   312mg   9%
Theobromine   63mg   †
Typical Amino Acid Profile   
L-Alanine   1280mg   †
L-Arginine   600mg   †
L-Aspartic Acid   3310mg   †
L-Cystine   720mg   †
L-Glutamic Acid   4640mg   †
Glycine   450mg   †
L-Histidine   470mg   †
L-Isoleucine   1610mg   †
L-Leucine   2650mg   †
L-Lysine   2180mg   †
L-Methionine   620mg   †
L-Phenylalanine   830mg   †
L-Proline   1600mg   †
L-Serine   1280mg   †
L-Threonine   1810mg   †
L-Tryptophan   560mg   †
L-Tyrosine   770mg   †
L-Valine   1480mg   †

Please tell me can I take this whey protein? Is it not harmful for my condition in any way?
I'm really confused here..any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks for reading
Sid
Age -21
Height- 5'11"
weight- 166lbs
BMI-22.64

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Sid,

Sorry to hear about your struggle with gynecomastia.  As someone who takes care of lots of young guys with puffy nipples like yourself, I'd encourage you to make the move to speak with your family about it.  It sounds like you're really tormented, and I would suspect that they would be pretty upset knowing how much this bothers you, particularly if they're able to help you work toward resolving the problem.

That said, I'll get back to your question about protein supplements.  Looking at the ingredients, you should be fine using this supplement.  Most protein supplements are pretty safe to take, unless they're mixed with a bunch of other ingredients, and particularly if you see anything labeled as "proprietary blend," since this can include items that might contribute to side effects.  Generally, this is unusual with straight protein supplements. 

One thing to be aware of, if you decide to "bulk up" a little, you may feel like your gynecomastia is worsening, but most likely, that's a reflection of increased body fat that comes with a bulking phase. Commonly, men with the "puffy nipple" presentation of gynecomastia are prone to fatty deposition in the chest as well.  If you're planning to get surgical treatment, that would be addressed with a combination of liposuction and direct excision anyway.  Just to be aware, though, that it's not due to hormonal stimulation from the protein supplement! 

Good luck,

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline Ibanez99

• Bronze Member
Dr. Rick ,
Thanks alot for reading my post and taking out the time to reply. I really apprecaite this alot.
As you said it's not gonna harm my gyne but the bulked up look will make it look worse? I mean I don't want the overall look to become worse. Is bulking up even a good option in that case? The chest seems to become tighter when I work out so I guess that's a good sign but if taking the protein and bulking up will make it look worse then should I take it or not? Still  a bit confused about this..

Regards
Sid

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
Sid,

It's tough to say if you'll look better or worse if you bulk up a little.  When it comes to bodybuilding, you are your own "guinea pig," and the things you do--the way you train, how you eat, what supplements you might use--will impact your physique in ways that are different from the other guys in the gym.  Sometimes, you just have to try something and see the results.  Your question, though, is whether the protein supplement will be harmful to your condition, and I don't think it will be based on the ingredients.  In other words, your gynecomastia won't worsen, you won't stimulate the tissue to grow.  But because you might be putting on a little more body fat, you might notice the condition more readily with some overall increase in fullness in the chest.  Alternatively, using only a protein supplement, and at 21, you may just get some increase in lean mass, and this may make the condition less apparent, or about the same (since you mostly describe puffy nipples).  We won't know until you try it.  The main point, though, is that the protein supplement itself is not harmful.

Does that make sense?  It's late...

RS

Offline Ibanez99

• Bronze Member
Dr. Rick
Thanks again for looking into this and replying. Your advise means alot to me.  One thing I wanted to ask is if im considering surgery soon then should I be taking whey protein and bulking up? I mean will there be any difference in results post-op? I mean if I gain muscle mass before surgery,will my final results be worse than if I had not taken any whey protein? My BMI is 22.64 ,guess I'm ready for surgery alraedy or should I become super skinny for optimum results? Please advise on this.

Also I wanted to know if my condition will reoccur after surgery? Since I believe it's hereditary(as my dad has it too), does it mean there are chances I'll get it back post-op? How can I find out about this.
Thanks alot again

Regards,
Sid
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 09:58:36 PM by Ibanez99 »

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
Sid,

Generally, I prefer that my patients are within a range of their normal day-to-day weight before they undergo surgery, since we want to provide a stable, long-lasting chest contour.  You don't need to be super skinny, and indeed, I joke with some of my leaner patients who are undergoing liposuction procedures, that they should feel free to have a few extra cheat meals in the week or two before their surgery, since it gives me a bigger target.  But these are men and women who tend to live at relatively low body fat percentages.  Similarly, with gynecomastia, you don't want to be ultra-lean, since you want to have contouring of the fat as well as any glandular tissue, and if there's no or little fat to remove, you may be experience contour issues later in life if you gain body fat.  In terms of "recurrence," that's the primary issue in the absence of medications, steroids, or some other medical condition that might cause recurrence.  Most of us only go through puberty once, so until our later years when we again experience some hormonal fluctuations, we should be fairly safe. 

RS

Offline Ibanez99

• Bronze Member
Thank you Dr.Rick . I really appreciate your concern. That information helped alot. Im making a new post with pictures. Please do have a look.
Thank you so much,
Sid

Offline Ibanez99

• Bronze Member
Good morning :)
Here's my new post with pics included . Please have a look
http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=20613.0

Thanking you,
Sid

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024