Author Topic: Gynecomastia Story - 17 y.o. Male  (Read 4688 times)

Offline hidden handle

• Posting Member
When I was twelve I started to feel a bead shape under my left nipple.  It just so happened I was going through homeshcool sex education.  I read in my assigned book about how this happens to females.  It didn't mention that it was common for young boys as well.  Naturally, this frightened me and I questioned my gender, sexuality, and role.  Before long, I had noticeable, small breasts.

I quickly became very self-conscious and started to wear baggy shirts, pinch my nipples, work out, and avoid taking my shirt off.  I even developed a posture problem since I hunched during school to conceal my chest.  This self-consciousness spread to other areas of my body as a result of considering myself abnormal.

Years later, I searched the Internet for this forum which gave me the confidence to confront my parents and later talk to my pediatrician.  My doctor told me I was overly self-conscious and that no surgeon would help me.  I was taken aback and lost faith in ever finding a solution.

And today, a few more years later at 17, my swelling has gone done dramatically but I am stuck with puffy nipples and an inflated chest.  I figured I'd post some pictures and get some options so I don't feel so stuck.

I made this thread to link from my signature, but feel free to ask questions or encourage me.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 07:16:00 PM by hidden handle »
My story is here.  Photos are coming eventually.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Years later, I searched the Internet for this forum which gave me the confidence to confront my parents and later talk to my pediatrician.  My doctor told me I was overly self-conscious and that no surgeon would help me.  I was taken aback and lost faith in ever finding a solution.

Whoa dude... really?  That doc needs his/her license revoked...  ;)

GB...
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

DrBermant

When I was twelve I started to feel a bead shape under my left nipple.  It just so happened I was going through homeshcool sex education.  I read in my assigned book about how this happens to females.  It didn't mention that it was common for young boys as well.  Naturally, this frightened me and I questioned my gender, sexuality, and role.  Before long, I had noticeable, small breasts.

I quickly became very self-conscious and started to wear baggy shirts, pinch my nipples, work out, and avoid taking my shirt off.  I even developed a posture problem since I hunched during school to conceal my chest.  This self-consciousness spread to other areas of my body as a result of considering myself abnormal.

And today, a few more years later at 17, my swelling has gone done dramatically but I am stuck with puffy nipples and an inflated chest.  I figured I'd post some pictures and get some options so I don't feel so stuck.

I made this thread to link from my signature, but feel free to ask questions or encourage me.

How old before considering gynecomastia surgery is a common question asked here. During puberty the imbalance of hormones stimulate and swell gland tissue. Being patient until the problem stabilizes is stressful, but when the contour goes away on its own without surgery is superior to even the best surgical scars. Body Shaping Garments can be an awesome temporizing measure while a problem is stabilizing.

What has not resolved by 2 years will not. Waiting many years also makes no sense, that is why I have operated on so many Teenagers with Gynecomastia and yes, many men with subtle Puffy Nipple Gynecomastia. Unfortunately, not all doctors understand gynecomastia issues nor what surgery can offer.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I have spent years trying to educate the pediatricians in my area about adolescent gynecomastia.  It is very common and in cases where it has not decreased within two years or so, it will probably be permanent and ultimately require surgery.

My concern is that many docs follow the "unwritten" maxim that one must wait until age 18 in order to get surgery.  There is absolutely no proof and no medical documentation that this is so -- it is just one more item that is passed from one generation of docs to the other without any proof whatsoever.

I have operated on hundreds of teens with stable (ie more than two years) gynecomastia and not one has had a recurrence or re-growth of their problem. 

Therefore, in my opinion, it is safe and oftentimes appropriate to operate on a young teen with gynecomastia.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024