Author Topic: Surgeon in Michigan or nearby?  (Read 10351 times)

Offline puffynipsman

• Posting Member
Does anyone know of a good, experienced gyno surgeon in Michigan or a surrounding state? A lot of plastic surgeons in my area say they have experience treating gyno, but I've yet to see any with an extensive collection of before/after photos. I have puffy nipples with hardly any fat, so I'm looking for someone with that type of surgical experience.

Offline art

• Posting Member
I'm in the same boat.  I'm looking for doctors in Michigan,  preferably in SE Michigan, but haven't found any recommendations on this site for one.  I'm ready to accept having to go out of state for surgery, but I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience in Michigan surgeons?

Offline roflbbq

• Posting Member
Thirded. Need a good MI surgeon here. Suggestions?

Offline Lordy40

Dr. Hammond is the best in West Michigan in my opinion. Search his name and you should find his website. Also search: "Partners of Plastic Surgery in West Michigan"

Guys, unfortunately I am not going to post my before/after photos.  Dr. H has plenty if you schedule a consult.  He may even send you some upon request. 

I haven't been on this site since I had my surgery Sept 2009.  But after looking in the mirror the other day, I felt like I owed it to you all and to the awesome doc that performed the surgery.

Dr. Hammond has helped develop a new technique for removal with very little incision/scarring.  I am so very very happy with the way things turned out with my surgery!  I had one side worse than the other, pain, sensitivity, and always wore loose clothing.  My bodyfat is about 18% and the leaner I got, the more obvious it looked.  It would shoot pain every time I wrestled with my kids, and send a pain jolt with any incidental contact.

Now I have ZERO pain and I'm on a path to being lean again, and I look and feel great at about the same bodyfat as my surgery.

I want to note one other experience regarding health insurance coverage.  Don't go there!  It's not worth it.  If you pursue it, they will require it to be done in a surgery center and if insurance changes there mind after it is performed, you could be facing a $10k bill instead of $5-6.  If you are in West Michigan, go see Dr. Hammond, he is awesome!!!

The last thing I want to say is don't delay having the surgery... If you are on this website obviously you're not happy with things...don't delay your personal happiness...I wish I had done this YEARS ago!!!  I lived with it for at least 12-15 years ...

Offline puffynipsman

• Posting Member
Lordy40,

I found your post because I just did a search for Hammond on this forum. He's the doctor I decided on for myself. Funny that I made this thread originally two years ago--about a year before I discovered Dr. Hammond! You're the first person to mention him. Good timing!

He is one of America's Top Doctors according to Castle Connolly and specializes in breast surgeries. I'm confident he's my best choice in the area.

What kind of gynecomastia do you have? I am very slim but have puffy nipples from puberty. I've had it for 15+ years but am finally doing something about it. Many years too late, I'm afraid.

Did Dr. Hammond use local anesthetic with sedation or did he use general anesthetic?

My insurance covers gynecomastia to an extent--they pay 80% after I pay my deductible and other fees. I was quoted around $6,000 without insurance, and it sounds like I'll end up paying about $4,000 if I use it. However, your statement about facing a $10,000 bill is making me very concerned. Can you explain how I could end up paying that much if insurance decides not to cover it or gives me a hard time? Wouldn't the Dr. just bill me the original estimate?

Congrats on your success. I'm looking forward to being free of this awful condition once and for all!

Offline Lordy40

General.

Insurance will resist coverage, even change their minds and require expensive surgical centers.
That's all I'll answer.  Read my first message again-
Peace- good luck man!
Out

Offline puffynipsman

• Posting Member
Can you at least explain why the bill could be thousands more if insurance denies the coverage? Wouldn't you just be responsible for what the surgeon was going to charge you without insurance? Or do you end up on the hook for the agreed price between the insurance and the surgeon, which is more than what they charge without insurance? That doesn't make sense to me either.

Not really understanding here and am hoping someone will chime in.

Offline puffynipsman

• Posting Member
I just want to update anyone who finds this thread. Dr. Hammond performed my surgery two months ago and I'm thrilled with the results so far. You can see my story and surgical diary at http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/1/after-17-years-i'm-finally-on-the-other-side/

As far as I'm concerned, Dr. Hammond is the best doctor you could find in Michigan or even anywhere for that matter. He's really easy to talk to and knows his stuff. With all the research I've done on this site on puffy nipples, I went in there thinking, "This guy better show me photos of his work and tell me he's doing excision and lipo through a small incision under the areola." He did all of that and more without my having to ask.

I also want to note that his office and surgical staff are some of the best I've encountered in the healthcare field. Everyone was really nice and wanted to make sure I felt comfortable at all times. And everyone was willing to answer my many questions throughout the process.

Now to address the insurance issue. I was really concerned about this, especially because of Lordy40's comments above, but my insurance did cover the surgery—no questions asked. That doesn't mean they covered every last penny—I had to pay deductibles and lipo, which wasn't covered—but they did cover exactly what the plan said it would. In the end, the surgery cost me half of what it would have otherwise. You can't beat that!

Offline 732mni

I just wanted to pass along that I've had successful surgery with Dr Hajjar in SE Michigan.

He's on the web: rthplasticsurgery dot com

It was several years ago, so I don't have photos, but I got a good vibe from him throughout the process. He was somehow able to get insurance to pay a good chunk, so I only paid < $2000 out of pocket. My surgery took place in Botsford hospital, but again it was several years ago, so he may have switched since then.

I'd recommend him for a consultation at the least, if you need someone in SE Michigan.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024