Author Topic: Doctors Opinion  (Read 3424 times)

Offline yzhazer

• Posting Member
I have gyne since i was 13-14 now i am 18 and i finally got to tell my parents about it hoping for them to pay me the surgery since i dont have money, unfortunatly they think it might dissapear in the next 2 years.

In 2 days im going to consult the doc for evaluation who willl then send me to the surgeon, but im worried that he might say that i have to wait those 2 years until growth is fully ended to undergo surgery.

In this case ill have to waste more 2 years of my life, so i just wanted to ask you whats the probability of a doc saying that ( since ive seen many interpretations and opinions regarding gyne from docs ) and what are the counter arguments, since this is a one time shot, i really need to pull it off.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 10:40:06 AM by yzhazer »

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
If you've had the problem for about 5 years and you're now 18, and you're not overweight, it probably isn't going away.
It would help if you post some photos in order to get opinions of docs or other gyne patients; that might help your argument with your parents.

Dr. Pope, MD
George H Pope, MD, FACS
Certified - American Board of Plastic Surgery
Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
www.georgepopemd.com
Phone: 407-857-6261

Offline yzhazer

• Posting Member
1.92m and 110kg right now, before that i was 87-90kg and had 10%BF.

Thing is, when i was fully defined i had practically the same gyne as i have now, when all this added weight the gyne got a little worse but no great changes, practically cant note anything myself.

Pics of me currently

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx224/stopduckhating/IMG_0666.jpg

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx224/stopduckhating/IMG_0667.jpg

You can clearly see that the left side has more fat that the right side.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 05:12:39 PM by yzhazer »

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Agree with Dr. Pope.

If you have had your gyne for five years and it hasn't changed/improved, the odds of it suddenly and miraculously disappearing in the next two years are about zero.

My recommendation:  don't waste another two years.  Find a PS in your area who has interest and expertise in gyne surgery -- I am sure he will agree with Dr. Pope and me.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

DrBermant

I have gyne since i was 13-14 now i am 18 and i finally got to tell my parents about it hoping for them to pay me the surgery since i dont have money, unfortunatly they think it might dissapear in the next 2 years.

In 2 days im going to consult the doc for evaluation who willl then send me to the surgeon, but im worried that he might say that i have to wait those 2 years until growth is fully ended to undergo surgery.

In this case ill have to waste more 2 years of my life, so i just wanted to ask you whats the probability of a doc saying that ( since ive seen many interpretations and opinions regarding gyne from docs ) and what are the counter arguments, since this is a one time shot, i really need to pull it off.

Gynecomastia that has not resolved by 2 years typically will not go away on its own.

1.92m and 110kg right now, before that i was 87-90kg and had 10%BF.

Thing is, when i was fully defined i had practically the same gyne as i have now, when all this added weight the gyne got a little worse but no great changes, practically cant note anything myself.

Pics of me currently

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx224/stopduckhating/IMG_0666.jpg

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx224/stopduckhating/IMG_0667.jpg

You can clearly see that the left side has more fat that the right side.

If that 20 kilograms is fat, and from the limited photographs there is a good chance of that, then it is not healthy to wear that extra weight.

Have you checked your Body Mass Index with a BMI Calculator?  My calculator has a Metric version where you can plug in meters and kilograms. By definition you are almost obese at the high range of overweight. BMI does not differentiate between fat, muscle, and bone.  Body Fat Calculators can help with the fat percentage and are better at helping define the fat component.

Plastic Surgery is not an alternative to losing weight.  With surgery, a fat person will still look like a fat person, just one with smaller breasts.

The problem is that Male Fat Pattern extends around the chest, under the arms, and around the back.  Plastic Surgery is not a good tool for a global fat problem.

I advise my patients to get to a weight / body fat percentage they are comfortable with before considering surgery. 

Weight Loss Before Gynecomastia Surgery can help with the fat, but not the gland.  However, you cannot pick where your fat comes from. Plastic Surgery is also not a good jump start tool for weight loss.  I have seen disasters from patients from other doctors with deformities from significant weight loss after their surgery.  Men tend to put fat on first in the belly and chest bands.  We tend to take of those areas last.  If your fat comes off in that typical pattern and less comes off the chest and belly, the contour problems will again show. Early surgery and depending on weight loss to predictably change the body is a nasty gamble.  Revision surgery is always an option but that is an added expense and recovery.

No Surgery Body Shaping Garments are a better temporizing choice.

As a surgical sculptor, I view weight loss as a coarse tool and my plastic surgery as a refinement tool.  I prefer to use the coarse tool first, and then my sculpture for refinement.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia

Offline yzhazer

• Posting Member
Thanks for the answers.

Dr.Bermant, i just have a question regarding the contour problems showing off again.

For example, if i do the surgery and in the next 2 months i lose 12kg with proper nutrition and cardio, the fat will go off the fat storages but not from the chest, as the chest fat has alredy been pulled off.

Wouldnt this result in the rest of the body getting proportional to the chest?

In this case, how can the contour problems come in?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 10:25:42 AM by yzhazer »

DrBermant

Thanks for the answers.

Dr.Bermant, i just have a question regarding the contour problems showing off again.

For example, if i do the surgery and in the next 2 months i lose 12kg with proper nutrition and cardio, the fat will go off the fat storages but not from the chest, as the chest fat has alredy been pulled off.

Wouldnt this result in the rest of the body getting proportional to the chest?

In this case, how can the contour problems come in?

In compromise surgery, the pinch test is equilibrated across the chest. The band of fat encircles the body. That is why an overweight person still looks overweight, but with smaller breasts.

Fat is left on the chest as a lubricating layer unless the doctor converts the entire surface into one large Crater Deformity Defect where the skin is stuck down to deeper tissues. Unfortunately, I have seen such patients unhappy that their tissues look so bizarre, especially on animation.  Weight loss after surgery is then a gamble. How will that extra fat come off. Yes, there are fewer fat cells on the chest. But the remaining fat cells will tend to loose less. That is why I look at weight loss as a coarse tool and plastic surgery is better for refinement. Then again, early surgery, contour problems after further weight loss that need another operation mean more expenses, time off from work, and sometimes a less than satisfactory result.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline Dr. Cruise

• Supporting Doctors
  • Gold Member
  • Dr. Cruise
    • http://lagynecomastia.org/
Brevity is key here. It is extremely unlikely that your gynecomastia will go away after having it for 5 years. Find a speciallist, a plastic surgeon who is experienced treating gynecomastia to perform your procedure.
Dr. Cruise
Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
2081 San Joaquin Hills Road
Newport Beach, CA 92660
949-644-4808
Before and After Pictures
Types of Gynecomastia

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024